Police didn't breathalyse me before leaving station

Convicted Driver Insurance

gboyle89

I was recently caught just over the limit (blew a 42) and 15 minutes later was taken for bloods. Does anyone have any experience on whether they will come back a fail? I calculated roughly before i got in the car if i was safe to drive using the 1 unit per hour rule. I felt fine but obviously not. because i left the house late while waiting to feel ready to drive to were i was supposed to be i was speeding (103mph) and pulled over. Stupid i know.

I was kept in a cell for 3 hours and afterwards was not breathalyzed again before being let back out is this wrong? I'm 25 years old and incredibly worried (no sleep etc) as i am going to lose my job and may not be able to go travelling with my girlfriend next year due to difficulties getting Visas in the USA and Australia. Thats if i can even afford to go with after losing my job. What can i expect to happen? This is really going to turn my life upside down. Any tips on how to tell employers and parents would also be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

I was recently caught just over the limit (blew a 42) and 15 minutes later was taken for bloods. Does anyone have any experience on whether they will come back a fail? I calculated roughly before i got in the car if i was safe to drive using the 1 unit per hour rule. I felt fine but obviously not. because i left the house late while waiting to feel ready to drive to were i was supposed to be i was speeding (103mph) and pulled over. Stupid i know.

I was kept in a cell for 3 hours and afterwards was not breathalyzed again before being let back out is this wrong? I'm 25 years old and incredibly worried (no sleep etc) as i am going to lose my job and may not be able to go travelling with my girlfriend next year due to difficulties getting Visas in the USA and Australia. Thats if i can even afford to go with after losing my job. What can i expect to happen? This is really going to turn my life upside down. Any tips on how to tell employers and parents would also be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

It is impossible for anyone to accurately say whether your blood specimen will come back under or over however, with only 15 minutes between a reading of 42 and the sample being taken I am not too optimistic. The reading of 42 is now null and void, what happens next (if anything) will be down to the blood level.

As advised to a recent poster - Did you get your own sample? Are you aware that you can get your sample independently tested? With the results being a lot quicker than the Police which can often take several weeks. Although there may be a slight differential it will certainly give you an indication of what to expect.

This PDF link is a list of independent testers http://www.rsc.org/images/road-traff...cm18-26336.pdf cost varies but should be circa £100ish. For peace of mind it could be money well spent.

I am not sure on the legality of releasing you without being further breathalyzed but as over 3 hours had passed I would suggest it was impossible for you to still be over the limit so not required.

At the moment you havent been charged so until you know the results from the Police I wouldnt worry about informing anyone unless your employer has specifically said in your contract that an arrest must be reported.

It is impossible for anyone to accurately say whether your blood specimen will come back under or over however, with only 15 minutes between a reading of 42 and the sample being taken I am not too optimistic. The reading of 42 is now null and void, what happens next (if anything) will be down to the blood level.

As advised to a recent poster - Did you get your own sample? Are you aware that you can get your sample independently tested? With the results being a lot quicker than the Police which can often take several weeks. Although there may be a slight differential it will certainly give you an indication of what to expect.

This PDF link is a list of independent testers http://www.rsc.org/images/road-traff...cm18-26336.pdf cost varies but should be circa £100ish. For peace of mind it could be money well spent.

I am not sure on the legality of releasing you without being further breathalyzed but as over 3 hours had passed I would suggest it was impossible for you to still be over the limit so not required.

At the moment you havent been charged so until you know the results from the Police I wouldnt worry about informing anyone unless your employer has specifically said in your contract that an arrest must be reported.

Thanks for the link. I have the sample but have not had it tested yet. I was going to wait and see how much over my bloods came in first. I guess i should just prepare for the worst for the time being.

Thanks for the link. I have the sample but have not had it tested yet. I was going to wait and see how much over my bloods came in first. I guess i should just prepare for the worst for the time being.

You are welcome.

Perhaps prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Not sure I understand the logic in getting your sample done after you have received the results of the Police sample? If you are going to get yours done anyway get it done asap so you can have a realistic expectation of what the evidential one will be. Atleast you would know much earlier.

If by some remote possibility there is a huge difference in levels between the two samples you will need to contact a Solicitor but this is very very unlikely.

You are welcome.

Perhaps prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Not sure I understand the logic in getting your sample done after you have received the results of the Police sample? If you are going to get yours done anyway get it done asap so you can have a realistic expectation of what the evidential one will be. Atleast you would know much earlier.

If by some remote possibility there is a huge difference in levels between the two samples you will need to contact a Solicitor but this is very very unlikely.

I see your point. I will look into getting it tested.

If anyone has any helpful advice on telling an employer i would really appreciate it. Unfortunately i am in a sales roll and often have to drive to customer meetings so it looks like this could be the end for me and i will have to try and find some experience in a new role. My employer normally asks me around once a year to visit houston so any info on visas would also be helpful.

thanks

I see your point. I will look into getting it tested.

If anyone has any helpful advice on telling an employer i would really appreciate it. Unfortunately i am in a sales roll and often have to drive to customer meetings so it looks like this could be the end for me and i will have to try and find some experience in a new role. My employer normally asks me around once a year to visit houston so any info on visas would also be helpful.

thanks

You may want to read through this thread.

IF your specimen comes back over and you are charged, is your employer likely to be sympathetic? Are you valued enough as a member of staff that not having a licence for x amount of time wont be a problem? Is a driving licence essential to your role in the company? Are there other duties you can do within the company? Can you hitch a lift with someone else to meetings?

I would say that if your employer doesnt want to lose you they will find a way around this.

You know your employer better than any of us so its difficult to advise of how you should approach this. Only you know the correct way to arrange a meeting with your boss but once in, maybe something along the lines of "I have made a huge error of judgement and was stopped whilst over the limit. This is an absolute one off and will never be repeated however, I have now been charged and face.............. I understand this will affect my employment and am hoping to discuss with you what options I may have"

Although this is all hypothetical at the moment, perhaps if you explore these options prior to discussing with your employer so you can provide solutions rather than problems.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off