Partner was over limit in RTC no word yet

Convicted Driver Insurance

Cmsm17

So on 3rd of June 2022, me and my partner were in a collision on a tight bend on a country road that was a 60mph road going around 40mph, think the other driver was doing around the same speed. No major injuries either side, I was a passenger as well. Roadside he blew 47mg on breathalyser, was arrested and asked what he had to drink. Of course he complied, due to elevated heart rate at the scene he was taken away to A&E and was there for 5 hours, and his BAC was taken and checked around 6 hours after his last drink. (I have advised he sends the sample off now so he can try and prepare for an outcome) he was released at the hospital after his bloods were taken, no interview, no offer of a duty solicitor and told it’s being investigated. No word from the police, they haven’t asked me for a statement or contacted him so far…

What are his potential consequences of this? Is it normal for them to not contact us at all up to this point and is it normal he was released from hospital without being interviewed technically? And will they use his bloods or breathalyser result to build a case? Should he hire a solicitor at this point?

Good afternoon,

So the consequences are varied depending upon the charge. If it is a drink driving charge then the accident will be an aggravating feature, but it could be a dangerous driving charge where the alcohol is a factor, which would be far more serious. You are going to have to wait for the charge before you can start to think abut what the punishments could be.

The blood result will definitely have an effect upon the case and I would hire a solicitor now. Getting his statement on record and starting to prepare the mitigation will be a big help once the charge is laid.

I hope that helps
Kind regards

Martin.

Good afternoon,

So the consequences are varied depending upon the charge. If it is a drink driving charge then the accident will be an aggravating feature, but it could be a dangerous driving charge where the alcohol is a factor, which would be far more serious. You are going to have to wait for the charge before you can start to think abut what the punishments could be.

The blood result will definitely have an effect upon the case and I would hire a solicitor now. Getting his statement on record and starting to prepare the mitigation will be a big help once the charge is laid.

I hope that helps
Kind regards

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for your response I’ll pass the message onto him

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off