Partner was in DD incident over the weekend with

Convicted Driver Insurance

Worriedmother

Just above twice over the limit. Damaged two cars. With myself and two small children in the car. Obviously we're all in shock and it looks bad (local news made it sound worse).

What type of ban are we looking at? We're insured with Halifax will they pay?

For a reading of 79 the guidelines are a 17-23 month ban. Because of the accident and the children in the car you can expect it to be at the higher end of that.
the ban could be reduced by up to 25% if you are offered and complete a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course. Make a note to ask for it if the magistrates forget to offer the course as it has to be offered and accepted during your court hearing. It cannot be offered retrospectively.
Halifax, like most insurers, will NOT pay out for damage to your car or injuries caused to you in the accident but they will pay out for the other parties damage. As far as I am aware, they do not seek to recover the cost of the other vehicles damage from you like the Admiral Group insurers do.

I had a DD incident at traffic lights against a taxi who had 3 passengers. My insurance company at the time told me that there were 4 personal injury claims against me. That was nearly 2 years ago and despite my requests for progress reports I have not heard anything. I was fined £280 (means test allowed me to pay monthly instalments of £50) plus a 20 month driving ban with option of a reduced ban if I went on a drink awareness course. I was mortified and knew I had done wrong so didn't feel the need to pay for a course to tell me what I was alreafy aware of. Plus it wasn't cheap.

I had a DD incident at traffic lights against a taxi who had 3 passengers. My insurance company at the time told me that there were 4 personal injury claims against me. That was nearly 2 years ago and despite my requests for progress reports I have not heard anything. I was fined £280 (means test allowed me to pay monthly instalments of £50) plus a 20 month driving ban with option of a reduced ban if I went on a drink awareness course. I was mortified and knew I had done wrong so didn't feel the need to pay for a course to tell me what I was alreafy aware of. Plus it wasn't cheap.

The DD awareness course isn't to tell you that you done wrong, actually it was the complete opposite. It was a room full of people in the same situation as me all talking about our guilt, shame and experiences and it lifted a massive weight off my shoulders because I felt completely alone before doing it.

The information provided on the course was very eye opening in regards to how long it really takes to be under the limit (over 50 hours for some of my sessions when I was younger yet I was driving the next night thinking I was fine, god knows how many times I drunk drove the day after without realising) £140 for a 25% reduction in your ban is great value for what you get.

Re the driving course I found you book it as soon as you can post court you can get a reduction
Also it gets you driving sooner & I understand some insurance companies look on it favourably when quoting you

Princesspoppy:
“knew I had done wrong so didn't feel the need to pay for a course to tell me what I was alreafy aware of. Plus it wasn't cheap.”
Grice96 is right, the experience of being able to talk openly on the course with people who have been through the same thing is very therapeutic. It is a relatively cheap way of getting your licence back several months early that can mean better employment sooner.
People pay a lot of money to get a solicitor to mitigate their circumstances to try to get a couple of months off their sentence, certainly twice what the Drink Drive Course costs.
Plus on the course it covers the process of getting your licence back including the medical requirements that you have said in other posts that you did not know about.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off