Over three years abstinent. Will I have to go for a Medical.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ade

I have a past history of alcohol dependence but have been abstinent now for three years. For the first two years I was working and could afford to run my car. I was issued a one year licence because I was still answering yes to the have you seen a GP within past 3 years question. This happened the second year, again a one year licence was issued.

Question now is, I should've applied back in Oct 18 and would've been sent for a medical. My circumstances had changed and I couldn't afford to run a car so never saw the need to apply again. I know now I should've just applied anyway because it wouldn't have cost any money. March 31st 2016 was the last time I was seen for this condition by my GP so my 3 year period of abstinence has been achieved. Just worried they might question why I didn't apply in Oct 18. I am able to and will answer No to all the questions. I am also back working again and in a position to get my car back on the road.

Hi Ade,

Yer just answer correctly questionnaire as your post indicates no issues last 3 yrs you have nothing to worry about.

However as seen recent cases? DVLA seem to putting more an more onus on applicant! An proving there controlled drinking or abstinence , this can only partly proved by your own GP , nothing is actual proof but the DVLA seem to be more n more looking for doctors advice?
The fact your last doctors appointment was 3yrs away when your an HRO due to DEPENDANCY is a bad sign am afraid, your negligent in treating your problem and although I would never question your actual issues now ? But wonder what's been happening last 3yrs just like the DVLA will question

Last edited:
Thanks Craig.

Yes I regularly see my GP for a mental health problem. She knows what having my licence means to me, if I can drive I can enjoy the hills and mountains and it improves my MH considerably. When I've been really low and I've seen her we've regularly discussed where I'm up to drink wise. I've told her I've been tempted but the thought of going back to that hideous lifestyle repulses me. The countryside is my new addiction and one that is a damn site healthier.

Strange why the DVLA are doing that. That to me is outside of the requirements they themselves have stated. Pretty sure that shouldn't be allowed unless they change their requirements.

Am slightly confused with your post lol Ade?
But the fact your now telling us you have been in touch with Doc, not required just for alcohol but you have been there and have an understanding regarding your health
especially with hills and outdoors ( no shitting this is almost why I got my HGV back) gives you an almost complete bill of health ?

Pleasing to hear thx.

I'd seen my GP for other reasons in those three years, the question on the form I was worried about was when was the last time you were seen by your GP for this condition ie drinking/alcohol dependence. That was 31st March 2016. The date of my last drink was 30th March 2016. Hope that clears up what I mean't

(hope it clears it up)

Yes it does ,
Don't over think things, answer no you have no condition over the last 3 years regarding dependancy,, however just to be safe side of things have a little talk with your doctor regarding your application, this makes sense on 2 fronts ! Firstly your past alcohol issues and currently your mental health X

The DVLA require a doc report anyway as you were dependant like myself , make things easy for them

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off