One Year License Renewal

Convicted Driver Insurance

ibble

Hi All

I got my license back on 13th Jan 2020 having been convicted of a DR10 as a high risk offender. I was given a one year license which means I need to apply to have it renewed in the coming months. I fall outside of the current covid related DVLA policy of extending licenses automatically for 11 months for those that expire before 31st December 2020.

I am aware that if my license expires before the DVLA have processed my application that I will NOT be able to drive under Section 88 as I am a HRO.

So, couple of questions. Can I apply online or do I need to complete the paper forms? How soon before the license expires can I apply?

My assumption at the moment is that I will need to see my GP for liver functions tests and completion of a form, and also get a private CDT test. All of which is fine, but I'm keen to get the process rolling given that the DVLA are struggling to keep up with demand.

Thanks in advance

Ibble
you can apply for your licence to be renewed 56 days before it expires, using the DR1 form and posting it.
the current DVLA view on driving under S88 is that you CAN do this as a HRO once your first licence has been granted as they consider subsequent applications to be a straightforward medical renewal.

Ibble
you can apply for your licence to be renewed 56 days before it expires, using the DR1 form and posting it.
the current DVLA view on driving under S88 is that you CAN do this as a HRO once your first licence has been granted as they consider subsequent applications to be a straightforward medical renewal.
This is extremely useful - many thanks for the quick reply.

Hi,Do you need to show regular bloods in your first one year licence as evidence of abstinence?

Hi,Do you need to show regular bloods in your first one year licence as evidence of abstinence?
Generally you do, (possibly not if your CDT result is under 1.0%)
you will see from the post above from Ibble That he / she didn’t have to.

Well mine shows historic alcohol misuse or dependency, so may be different?
I've not been for a medical as yet as they wanted more information via a dr1 questionnaire that was sent to me,so will see,thanks for the reply

With the mention of historic misuse or dependency then tey are highly likely to write to your GP.

With the mention of historic misuse or dependency then tey are highly likely to write to your GP.
Thanks price1367,I asked them to do that,will ring again next week as they now have my reply,hopefully they will do their checks before sending me for a medical, let's see....

Ibble
I just spoke to the DVLA regards this. If they fail to process the application in time I can drive under section 88 as long as my GP deems me fit to do so. NB. I am no longer considered a HRO. That was relevant for the reinstatement following a DR10. This is (as above) a straightforward medical renewal. However the process will be very similar to the application for reinstatement i.e. contacting the GP and probably going for a blood test with a private doctor.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off