No claims valid for 2yrs?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ktatt74

Hi I have 13 yrs ncb and have read that some insurance companies only honour them within 2 yrs after that they won’t, anyone have any idea if this is true ? I’m due to get my licence back in 3mths and was going to buy a car whilst I’m under 2yrs so can use my no claims as it makes quite a big difference, or I can save the money and wait til my licence is back, as I’m also a hro and heard ludicrous waiting times for medical etc , so I could end up paying for a car on the drive for over 6 mths or more tia

Hi I have 13 yrs ncb and have read that some insurance companies only honour them within 2 yrs after that they won’t, anyone have any idea if this is true ? I’m due to get my licence back in 3mths and was going to buy a car whilst I’m under 2yrs so can use my no claims as it makes quite a big difference, or I can save the money and wait til my licence is back, as I’m also a hro and heard ludicrous waiting times for medical etc , so I could end up paying for a car on the drive for over 6 mths or more tia
You need to check with the insurance company you are using. Most will only honour for 2 years after previous one ended, some will go 3 years but that is few and far between.

You say you are looking at buying a car whilst you are under 2 years, presume at this stage you will not have licence back? You cannot insure a car if you do not have a licence, first thing they ask when you insure is have you got a valid licence. If not, no insurance :cry:

You can insure a car whilst on a ban, you just cannot drive it, it’s a legal requirement that a vehicle on the road is insured , ive already had numerous quotes, and the no claims that are still within 2 years makes quite a difference, hence wanting to buy & insure a vehicle before runs out, I just don’t want to be throwing money away if dvla take forever to sort licence out, thank you anyway for confirming the 2yrs I believed it was just that, so I best get looking

You can insure a car whilst on a ban, you just cannot drive it, it’s a legal requirement that a vehicle on the road is insured , ive already had numerous quotes, and the no claims that are still within 2 years makes quite a difference, hence wanting to buy & insure a vehicle before runs out, I just don’t want to be throwing money away if dvla take forever to sort licence out, thank you anyway for confirming the 2yrs I believed it was just that, so I best get looking
You are wrong you do not hold a valid licence and this voids you from owning and insuring a vehicle on a pubic highway.

You are wrong you do not hold a valid licence and this voids you from owning and insuring a vehicle on a pubic highway.
There is nothing to stop a convicted driver from insuring their vehicle as long as it’s parked up on private property. In fact it would be best that if your vehicle is not being used by a licence third party (with their own insurance), then the vehicle be at least covered for accidental damage whilst parked up.The damage to vehicles after the latest storms gives good credence to do this.

There is nothing to stop a convicted driver from insuring their vehicle as long as it’s parked up on private property. In fact it would be best that if your vehicle is not being used by a licence third party (with their own insurance), then the vehicle be at least covered for accidental damage whilst parked up.The damage to vehicles after the latest storms gives good credence to do this.
You are wrong ray check the terms of a policy.

You are wrong ray check the terms of a policy.
As a convicted drink driver (or any driver without a current licence for whatever reasons )
you have the opportunity to insure your vehicle against damage/loss when it is declared to be permanently parked/garaged at your/designated property.Most insurance brokers will have a relevant policy to cover your individual requirements.

As a convicted drink driver (or any driver without a current licence for whatever reasons )
you have the opportunity to insure your vehicle against damage/loss when it is declared to be permanently parked/garaged at your/designated property.Most insurance brokers will have a relevant policy to cover your individual requirements.

You of course can take a policy out, but if your car is stolen, burnt or crashed into you will fall at the first hurdle when the claim handler asks for a copy of your photo card licence and you inform them you are banned. You are legally required to provide your driving licence when a claim for theft, damage or fire is made on a car insurance policy. There is no work around, this is the law.

A garaged car policy is not car insurance, it's property insurance. Subtle difference and many brokers will be able to insure your car if it's garaged but this is not to be mixed up with conventional car insurance, which can not be held in the UK without a valid full driving licence. I'm not aware of any insurer in the UK who do not have the stipulation that you must hold a valid full licence in their policy documents. Not everyone has a garage or secured drive, so these policies do not suit everyone.

Thank you, I did actually ring an insurer today and I can insure a vehicle and use my ncb but I would be an excluded driver until my licence is valid and I’d need to add a named driver to it, so I do have the option to atleast save my 13 yrs no claims as it will still make a big difference to my insurance having them, thanks for all the replies

You of course can take a policy out, but if your car is stolen, burnt or crashed into you will fall at the first hurdle when the claim handler asks for a copy of your photo card licence and you inform them you are banned. You are legally required to provide your driving licence when a claim for theft, damage or fire is made on a car insurance policy. There is no work around, this is the law.

A garaged car policy is not car insurance, it's property insurance. Subtle difference and many brokers will be able to insure your car if it's garaged but this is not to be mixed up with conventional car insurance, which can not be held in the UK without a valid full driving licence. I'm not aware of any insurer in the UK who do not have the stipulation that you must hold a valid full licence in their policy documents. Not everyone has a garage or secured drive, so these policies do not suit everyone.
The piece of information we should all take note is that the vehicle should be SORN (if then any claim is forthcoming, the policy holder will hopefully be paid out).

Thank you, I did actually ring an insurer today and I can insure a vehicle and use my ncb but I would be an excluded driver until my licence is valid and I’d need to add a named driver to it, so I do have the option to atleast save my 13 yrs no claims as it will still make a big difference to my insurance having them, thanks for all the replies
Admiral insurance recognise NCB's up to 3 years.

When you go through their online quote system, you eventually get to the part that asks if you have any NCB's no greater than 3 years old.

The problem is, they won't insure you online. You need to call them.

Admiral insurance recognise NCB's up to 3 years.

When you go through their online quote system, you eventually get to the part that asks if you have any NCB's no greater than 3 years old.

The problem is, they won't insure you online. You need to call them.
Oh really? Thank you for that, I may give them a call as will save me wasting months on insurance as at this rate with all the delays I may not even be able to drive til summer 🤦🏼‍♀️

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off