Need help, have I just wasted £90 and what to do for the best?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hi all,

Just a quick update. 10 weeks after sending my licence off I have today finally received some communication from the DVLA telling me that they have written to my Doctor with their enquiries, and expect a reply within 6 weeks (I hope it will not take this long as she is on my side - maybe I will make an excuse to see her and casually bring the subject up). There was no mention of arranging a medical yet, though. That's what is bugging me really - why can't this be going on at the same time to make things slightly less inefficient as they are now!! I will definitely need to have one anyway, and who knows how long it will take to get an appointment for that.

So that's it, my 12 months without alcohol has passed now, which was a sort of landmark in itself despite having to do it to drive again. I can't risk my health by going back anyway.
I have been saving up, and looking at cars on the internet, but it will be a while yet before the saga is over. I know in my heart that I am OK to drive again though.

I'll let you know how things progress,

Peter

Well my licence just arrived, and it is the full "until I'm 70" one.. Time for a recap then!

D1 arrived 90 days exactly before ban ends. I sent it straight back that day and ticked no to all health questions. At this point in time I hadn't drank in months anyway. If you want to speed things up, order D1 before the 90 days, fill it out and return with £90 on the 90 day mark, then you'll be ahead of the game if your D1 doesn't show.

Two weeks later and medical letter came. Rang GP and arranged medical for three weeks time. Now not touching booze still (the new test appears to be more than 4 drinks in one sitting in the last few weeks), and haven't touched smokes in a month plus.

Had medical, ticked no to all questions including "accident" one, despite my licence having a "leaving the scene" endorsement on it. Basically i'll admit it, I lied, I lied about previous alcohol use, about never telling docs, about cannabis. About lots to be honest. BUT I do not drink, I will never DD / DUI again, and to ask "in the last 3 years" is a poorly thought out, carpet bomb principle of risk assessment, and so as the questionnaire was of low credibility, so were my responses..

3 1/2 weeks later my licence landed. I gave them no cause to contact my GP or dig deeper. I got my licence :D And in 30 days it'll be valid :cool:

If anyone has questions I'll pop on but aside from that my work here is done. Good luck to everyone, hang in there Peter(!), and without doubt the best little bit of advice I've read on here was still by uklengendman "My advice is just to tell the doctor what they want to hear, how you are off the booze and don't binge drink and your last drink was only two pints."

Add to that, if you drink, then lay off the booze for a month or so? Although you can still have a couple a night, BUT personally I'd rather give them no reason to dig deeper, and prefer to present them with a green light blood test coupled with a zero follow up questionnaire. If you can't quit drinking, then you really do have to admit to yourself you have a problem, and tackle it. I'm not annoyed with the DVLA, this process got me off the booze and for that I am thankful.

Cheers all!!

Hi

Excellent news! I bet that is a weight off, now.
Thanks for all your replies - I will update on this thread when more happens in my case, but I am not going to pester the DVLA anymore, as it is no use. I am waiting for my GP to write back to DVLA as they requested, hopefully in a positive way, and I assume arrange the medical when I hear back from them.

Good luck, anyway

Peter

Hi

Excellent news! I bet that is a weight off, now.
Thanks for all your replies - I will update on this thread when more happens in my case, but I am not going to pester the DVLA anymore, as it is no use. I am waiting for my GP to write back to DVLA as they requested, hopefully in a positive way, and I assume arrange the medical when I hear back from them.

Good luck, anyway

Peter

Thanks Peter, it hasn't really sunk in yet that the nightmare is pretty much over! But no longer being made to re-live the disaster is very nice indeed :D

You will be fine mate, your GP will confirm no record of boozing for 13 months now and your vastly improved bloods. So the evidence is there and they have to give you your licence.

I bet you'll be driving in 8 weeks absolute maximum ;) Can't wait to read your post saying it's arrived pal!! Really amazed though they are allowed to take so long in your case, seems so obviously unfair :mad:

Hi all,

Just a quick update. 10 weeks after sending my licence off I have today finally received some communication from the DVLA telling me that they have written to my Doctor with their enquiries, and expect a reply within 6 weeks (I hope it will not take this long as she is on my side - maybe I will make an excuse to see her and casually bring the subject up). There was no mention of arranging a medical yet, though. That's what is bugging me really - why can't this be going on at the same time to make things slightly less inefficient as they are now!! I will definitely need to have one anyway, and who knows how long it will take to get an appointment for that.

So that's it, my 12 months without alcohol has passed now, which was a sort of landmark in itself despite having to do it to drive again. I can't risk my health by going back anyway.
I have been saving up, and looking at cars on the internet, but it will be a while yet before the saga is over. I know in my heart that I am OK to drive again though.

I'll let you know how things progress,

Peter

Well things are finally moving.

Just to recap: applied for licence July 1st, my GP's input was asked for and received by DVLA on 23rd September. I got a letter (6th October) saying that due to high volume of assessments it may be at least 9 weeks for the info to be reviewed...not happy. Anyway it wasn't that bad - letter arrived yesterday asking me to book the medical at somewhere which was pretty close. I actually got an appointment for this morning (nice to see some efficiency for a change). So the medical has been done with no issues according to the doctor there - just waiting for the blood results, which should be fine (14 months booze free now).
I am glad that bit's over - it feels like I am on the final lap now.

Cheers Peter.

Well things are finally moving.

Just to recap: applied for licence July 1st, my GP's input was asked for and received by DVLA on 23rd September. I got a letter (6th October) saying that due to high volume of assessments it may be at least 9 weeks for the info to be reviewed...not happy. Anyway it wasn't that bad - letter arrived yesterday asking me to book the medical at somewhere which was pretty close. I actually got an appointment for this morning (nice to see some efficiency for a change). So the medical has been done with no issues according to the doctor there - just waiting for the blood results, which should be fine (14 months booze free now).
I am glad that bit's over - it feels like I am on the final lap now.

Cheers Peter.

EXCELLENT news Peter. From my estimate then, you'll have your licence in < 2 weeks :) Well done!!

EXCELLENT news Peter. From my estimate then, you'll have your licence in < 2 weeks :) Well done!!

Thanks a lot, hope things are going OK with you. They should have the result towards the end of next week, so I was thinking of ringing them. I have seen a car I like and don't want it to be sold before I can at least look at it. While I don't want to tempt fate, it should be just waiting for the go-ahead now so I was wondering if they would tell me if it was OK to enquire, even if I cant drive it until I get the actual licence..mmmmm

Thanks a lot, hope things are going OK with you. They should have the result towards the end of next week, so I was thinking of ringing them. I have seen a car I like and don't want it to be sold before I can at least look at it. While I don't want to tempt fate, it should be just waiting for the go-ahead now so I was wondering if they would tell me if it was OK to enquire, even if I cant drive it until I get the actual licence..mmmmm

Buy it Peter. You've met ALL requirements and even if they did the unlikely old style blood test and your readings are a tiny but off it is all explainable.

Its a done deal my friend!

I'm MOT'ing my scooter tomorrow. Tax £17, Insurance £160 even with it declared tuned to do 70+ and 60mpg+. Figured it'll be cheap run about until back to work :)

Buy it Peter. You've met ALL requirements and even if they did the unlikely old style blood test and your readings are a tiny but off it is all explainable.

Its a done deal my friend!

I'm MOT'ing my scooter tomorrow. Tax £17, Insurance £160 even with it declared tuned to do 70+ and 60mpg+. Figured it'll be cheap run about until back to work :)

Hello,

No news yet, 3 weeks after my medical. I keep ringing up, but all I get is that they have got my results and it's with the doctors. Today I was told that their waiting list is 4 weeks. I am ringing just about everyday, just to see if anything has been sent, as the last letter took a week to get to me!

I am seriously thinking about making an official complaint in writing about the length of time all this has taken bearing in mind it was July 1st when they got my application, I know it won't help now and they'll just fob me off, but I will feel better. It's no good having a go at the people who answer the phone too, but someone needs to be told. I am 54 and I have not worked for a few years now (medically retired) but now I have got over my problems, there have been a few jobs I would have liked to apply for, but of course they need a licence. This whole process is holding me back and causing stress I could do without.

Anyway on a positive note, I have put a deposit down on the car I saw a few months ago. It was reduced again and they dealer said he would we hang on to it for a deposit (which they will refund, just in case). Honestly, I feel like saying sod it, and just driving it now.
But I can't.
The insurance is pretty good for it as well - £250 is the cheapest (and fully comp), mind I don't understand how the quotes can vary so much, up to £1500.

I'll update whenever.

Peter

Oh Peter, when I had an email saying you had replied to the thread I naturally assumed it was going to be "I'm on the road!"

Bloody disgraceful mate. DVLA are indeed treating you dreadfully! But of course, and goes without saying: don't even think about driving yet, you're so close to the end it would be bad to be caught driving while banned. HOWEVER, have you checked your licence status online? I detailed how a few posts back. I think that you're no longer banned but just don't have a licence until they issue it (which probably wouldn't result in a ban if caught, but I wouldn't chance it)........

Anyway, it is frustrating because it's only a matter of time before you can drive, as you'll definitely pass everything / jumped through their hoops adequately!

Is it worth posting your experience in the solicitors part of this site? They may be able to nudge the DVLA along for you possibly, although there's likely to be a fee.....

The thing that makes my blood boil here in the main though, is you're someone that has turned their health and life around, just for an incompetent government office to delay you by months, thus theoretically putting undue pressure and stress on you which could reverse your accomplishments. So whatever the delay, you're really close pal so don't let them make you want a drink. I know they did me lol!!

I'm fine, a couple of weeks away from finishing my degree. Been scooting to friends / shops / or just because I can. It is pretty great, the novelty has yet to wear off!! I'm in the process of negotiating a return to previous employer which comes with a car, so am hoping that happens soon. Fortunately my job is in in insurance (not broker but the actual underwriter), so they aren't worried about clean licences as they are the insurance. They are trying to find me a position at the moment, so fingers crossed.......

Stay strong Peter! And definitely complain! You're very literate, send them a decent complaints letter, say you've bought a car and missed employment offers because of this. Shameful!

DVLA customer service standard: https://democracy.chorley.gov.uk/documents/s17664/Appendix B.pdf

Note = 90 days to complete a complex medical enquiry. They've gone over that with you. Your complaint is justified as they've breached their service standard, and so should be dealt with properly once they receive it....

Last edited:
DVLA customer complaints: https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...e-licensing-agency/about/complaints-procedure

I wouldn't bother with the first one, go straight to the second one "Customer Complaints Resolution Team", use the email service so they get it straight away.

That's what I would do / would of done if mine had even approached my ban ending date.....

On the insurance topic, your quote is excellent. I noticed when I was getting quotes, the difference between the quote for a clean licence and a DD licence was small, maybe 10 to 20 % on top. But the AC (leaving the scene) bloody doubled it. Oh well, only 18 months and I can have the AC removed :rolleyes:

DVLA customer complaints: https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...e-licensing-agency/about/complaints-procedure

I wouldn't bother with the first one, go straight to the second one "Customer Complaints Resolution Team", use the email service so they get it straight away.

That's what I would do / would of done if mine had even approached my ban ending date.....

On the insurance topic, your quote is excellent. I noticed when I was getting quotes, the difference between the quote for a clean licence and a DD licence was small, maybe 10 to 20 % on top. But the AC (leaving the scene) bloody doubled it. Oh well, only 18 months and I can have the AC removed :rolleyes:

Thanks 'argh'

Good to hear back from you, and things are looking up! The quote is low because of my age (I passed my test in 1982!) and also I don't have to disclose any ban, as it was actually over 5 years ago.
I will write to them and put things on record, anyway.

Cheers again, Peter

Thanks 'argh'

Good to hear back from you, and things are looking up! The quote is low because of my age (I passed my test in 1982!) and also I don't have to disclose any ban, as it was actually over 5 years ago.
I will write to them and put things on record, anyway.

Cheers again, Peter

Ah of course, you are over the 5 year mark. I've till got 18 months before I'm at the 4 year mark and can remove the AC10.

Hey I'm no spring chicken either - 42 :eek: Passed my test in '89. Crikey time flies!

I would definitely write to them Peter, they will chase the medical team on your behalf I hope......

Ah of course, you are over the 5 year mark. I've till got 18 months before I'm at the 4 year mark and can remove the AC10.

Hey I'm no spring chicken either - 42 :eek: Passed my test in '89. Crikey time flies!

I would definitely write to them Peter, they will chase the medical team on your behalf I hope......

Hi

Licence coming!! I rang up this morning and I was told I am getting a 1 year licence - should arrive next week. So good news, but it was the least I was expecting, and it's definitely a load off my mind - I can go ahead and organise things now. I think they are just being super cautious and covering themselves, as I was honest about the seizures and stuff on the form, and they go on the last 3 years I think. It doesn't really matter as I know I will be alright in a years time.
So thanks to you and everyone for keeping my spirits up. I still wrote my complaint letter, and also wrote for my blood test results, but that's sort of by the by now. It's been a long haul!

All the best to you

Peter

Fantastic news Peter!! That's been a long time coming, so pleased for you.

Maybe your complaint did indeed nudge them along, you never know..

As far as I understand it, so long as your application is in next year before the 12 months is up, then you can drive whilst waiting next time, so you won't be worried about having to wait in a years time. Plus it's all free at that time too. Oh, and you can drive to the medical :p

Really really pleased for you, goodbye buses, hello freedom :D

All the best pal, I hope you can now truly reap the rewards of all your efforts and accomplishments.

Have a great Xmas and New Year matey.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off