My Story...

Convicted Driver Insurance

SillySausage123

Well Known Member
Well, I was arrested last fortnight for drink driving. Probably one of the most terrible things that has happened in my life, told my family and we all just cried (bar my Dad, he stayed strong but was angry)

Build up to my arrest

I had a couple of drinks (followed with two ice cold glasses of water and went to the bathroom alot which may have saved me from a high reading...) and I decided to go home at around 2:30am, I saw a police car at an intersection and it decided to follow me, so I therefore became more vigilant with my driving (i.e. sticking to the speed limit).

This police car followed me for around 3 miles, before I decided to come to a stop at a drive thru - where it then put on the bluelights.

Now, I immediately got out the car (which in hindsight I shouldn't have and kept my cool) and I saw 3 police cars! Yes 3! The policeman came up to me and stated that he stopped me for being hesitant at a roundabout; hesitation as a definition in regards to driving is quite subjective so I couldn't really question it - but if that's the case there are two issues that I find odd, the roundabout in question is atleast a mile from where I decided to stop - why not stop me before then?! Secondly, why were there so many police cars?!

They never searched my car, as my wallet (which would've confirmed who I was or any misdemeanours) and water bottle remained untouched at the back passenger seat of my car, as I returned in the morning to collect it from where I was arrested. So it's not like they initially suspected me of drug dealing or anything like that...(well they could have I guess)

At the police station - Breathalyser Procedure

Anyway, I was arrested and taken to the police station, another issue occured after the breathalyser procedure where I blew 49 - the DVD recorder became jammed, now they provided me with a document to sign which I stupidly never read at the time and it stated:

'One copy of the recording has been sealed in your presence and will be kept securely incase it is needed for court'

This was not the case, however, I was so nervous as it being my first time at a station that I was simply signing everything like I was a celebrity and never really questioned anything that I was signing, stupidity and ignorance on my part.

The following morning, when they were doing my reading on my release I saw that the DVDs were still stuck in the recorder, the bailing officer confirmed that 'Yeah, it's still stuck in there - but we've got it all written down' - which I have no idea what that means...

Anyway my questions are:

- Does that stop seem right, why follow me for so long and only turn on the bluelights when I decide to stop, for perceived hesitation that occured 1mile ago? Also why the heavy handed police presence?!

- The DVD situation, is that a big deal? Also it states in documentation provided, that I'm able to request a copy of the DVD myself, what happens if they are unable to provide it? Also, if I do request for the DVD is there anything specific that I should state in the email, or keep it simple?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Note, there was no traffic - absolutely no other vehicles on the road at the time.

The only possible hesitation that I can recall is upon seeing the police car initially at the intersection by slowing down slightly as I was about to drive into the first roundabout, but even then that was 3 miles before being stopped. The second roundabout (if that's the one they are claiming) was a mile away.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I believe the police can stop you so long as they have suspicion on something which I’m guessing was the case. They will have probably followed you waiting for you to do something slightly wrong (wrong I know). Then when you have that’s their chance to check you over. Unsure about the dvd side of things, someone will hopefully be able to advise you. You don’t seem too high over the limit so should you receive a ban will likely be 12 months reduced to 9 months with the course. I appreciate it’s not the news you want but it’s probably worth preparing for it. It’s a tough situation, most people on here have been through it so can offer support. Have a look through my posts for my story and I’m willing to help if you need anything feel free to message me as I know how vital it is to have someone to talk to who’s been through it. Main thing is don’t kick yourself too hard, we’ve all made mistakes and the time really does fly by when banned. Your friends and family will be there to support you. If you need anything do message.

Possibly, just seems very off as I know there was absolutely nothing wrong with my driving and their reason for stopping me sounded completely off.

I think I made matters worse anyway as upon getting out the car, i responded that I had a drink or two - which then gives them the course to conduct a roadside breathalyser. Man, never been so nervous in my life, wanted to cry on the spot lol.

Yeah possibly if you had stayed in the car and not said anything you may have got away with it. But don’t forget they watch people’s driving day in day out. And in all fairness they got it right you was over the limit (don’t mean to sound harsh btw). But it’s no good worrying about ifs and buts. Unfortunately it’s fine now and best to start looking forwards. Do you have a court date ? Put things on a countdown, such as that, when your due to get your license back. Get a few things booked and put on there. I went to Ibiza twice in the first year. Having things booked and being able to countdown really helped. Although I did annoy my family and gf as I was constantly letting them know how long lol.

Well, I was arrested last fortnight for drink driving. Probably one of the most terrible things that has happened in my life, told my family and we all just cried (bar my Dad, he stayed strong but was angry)

Build up to my arrest

I had a couple of drinks (followed with two ice cold glasses of water and went to the bathroom alot which may have saved me from a high reading...) and I decided to go home at around 2:30am, I saw a police car at an intersection and it decided to follow me, so I therefore became more vigilant with my driving (i.e. sticking to the speed limit).

This police car followed me for around 3 miles, before I decided to come to a stop at a drive thru - where it then put on the bluelights.

Now, I immediately got out the car (which in hindsight I shouldn't have and kept my cool) and I saw 3 police cars! Yes 3! The policeman came up to me and stated that he stopped me for being hesitant at a roundabout; hesitation as a definition in regards to driving is quite subjective so I couldn't really question it - but if that's the case there are two issues that I find odd, the roundabout in question is atleast a mile from where I decided to stop - why not stop me before then?! Secondly, why were there so many police cars?!

They never searched my car, as my wallet (which would've confirmed who I was or any misdemeanours) and water bottle remained untouched at the back passenger seat of my car, as I returned in the morning to collect it from where I was arrested. So it's not like they initially suspected me of drug dealing or anything like that...(well they could have I guess)

At the police station - Breathalyser Procedure

Anyway, I was arrested and taken to the police station, another issue occured after the breathalyser procedure where I blew 49 - the DVD recorder became jammed, now they provided me with a document to sign which I stupidly never read at the time and it stated:

'One copy of the recording has been sealed in your presence and will be kept securely incase it is needed for court'

This was not the case, however, I was so nervous as it being my first time at a station that I was simply signing everything like I was a celebrity and never really questioned anything that I was signing, stupidity and ignorance on my part.

The following morning, when they were doing my reading on my release I saw that the DVDs were still stuck in the recorder, the bailing officer confirmed that 'Yeah, it's still stuck in there - but we've got it all written down' - which I have no idea what that means...

Anyway my questions are:

- Does that stop seem right, why follow me for so long and only turn on the bluelights when I decide to stop, for perceived hesitation that occured 1mile ago? Also why the heavy handed police presence?!

- The DVD situation, is that a big deal? Also it states in documentation provided, that I'm able to request a copy of the DVD myself, what happens if they are unable to provide it? Also, if I do request for the DVD is there anything specific that I should state in the email, or keep it simple?

Thanks guys
You mentioned 3 police cars. That sounds right. The first cop would've radioed a 'possible' DD which prompts an 'all units in the area' for back up. Sounds dramatic but as many on this forum, and I, have experienced is the norm. If your reading is over 40 you will be given a 12 month mandatory driving ban. Seek legal advice before you respond to any correspondence. Good luck.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off