My Story..

Convicted Driver Insurance

FoolishPerson

Last Friday I was at a friends house after a long overdue catch up. I had parked my car in an overnight space knowing that the evening would involve some light drinking and a taxi home would be necessary

Over the course of the evening (9pm-4am) we had both consumed a bottle of wine each. We had both stopped drinking at approx 2am and got caught up chatting, watching various comedy clips on youtube etc. After realising how late/early it was I decided it would be best to leave as my friend had committments in the morning.

At this point, I made the fatal judgement in thinking that because I had "felt" fine that I would be safe to drive. I thought because I hadn't drank in several hours that there would be very little alcohol left in my system. How stupid and wrong was I? In similar circumstances I've either walked home or got a taxi. Why did I think differently on this occasion? I'm left constantly asking myself that same question!!

Halfway up the road (2mile trip) I was flashed by police and just as I was about to pull over, they turned to the left. I immediately sighed a huge breathe of relief as I knew at that moment that if I was breathalised there would be a risk of me being over the limit. I judged this to be an extremely close call and vowed never to take this chance again. I continued with my journey and safely returned home. Just as I was about to walk in the door of my house the same police van that had flashed me earlier arrived curbside and asked if I was the name of the person they had quoted to me. I confirmed I was that person. They later asked if I had just been driving a car matching the description they given and I confessed that I had.

They advised that they had reason to believe that my car wasn't insured however I assured them that it was (it later transpired that there was an issue with my private plates and after producing documentation they were satisifed that I was indeed covered) As standard they asked if I had been drinking and I admitted that I had. I blew 50mics that night and the legal limit in Scotland is 22mics. I was beyond devastated.

I later found out that the reason why didn't continue to pursue me in the moment was because they had just witnessed someone run a red light. They opted to pursue this person first however it's now apparent that they failed to catch up with him which is why they raced to my home address to challenge myself about having no insurance.

For the past week I have tormented myself in runing various senarios through my head. I should have stopped and walked the rest of the journey when I was originally flashed as I clearly knew I was taking a risk. If only they busted the other guy! What if I had only managed to get inside my house? Would have they continued to pursue me further as they had no reason to believe at that time I had been under the influence? What if I had denied I was driving, what proof did they have?

I have now came to the firm realisation that irrespective of what could've happened - I've done something wrong and I now need to face the consequences. The past week has been a huge ordeal for me. I'm embarrassed, ashamed, gutted and overall my self respect has taken an absolute hammering. I've had to tell my employers which was humulating, however they have thankfully been very understanding and I've been given assurances that my position will not be at risk. I'm left feeling parnoid, judged, worthless and most devastatingly percieved to be criminal. This connotations associated with drink driving is horrific and society is right to comdemn you. I just hope that I can on day redeem myself as this is not who I am. I made a terrible judgement call where thankfully no one was hurt in the process.

Never before have I had any real perpective on the impact that drink driving can have. It has the ability to take away everything you have worked for. Most importantly your integrity. In some strange way I'm glad this happened now as it's been an illumating experience for many reasons. I know for a fact that this is going to make a better person as much as I'm hurting right now. I'm already more alert to the dangerous of drink driving and I'll be the biggest advocate for the cause against drink driving moving forward.

My court date is in several weeks time and I cannot wait for it to be over so I can start making amends.

If you're reading this and think that because you feel fine in the moment - DONT drive! It's not worth the heart ache to yourself, family, friends or any victims hurt in the process.

Thanks for reading.

Your response to being caught is probably one of the most mature responses that I've read in my time on these forums so well done for that, use it as an experience to learn and grow as there's a positive side to every situation. Don't beat yourself up on the "I should have done this" and "what would have happened if X hadn't have happened," you'll only wreck you head thinking like that. I thought my life was over when I got banned, I'm passionate about cars, they were my whole life and yet I made the gamble to risk it all and lost. I thought the time was going to drag by but it didn't, my ban is up now in less than 10 days and I have no idea where that time went. The first month dragged because I wallowed in self pity about it but once I stopped it flew in. I'm not sure how the sentencing brackets work in Scotland but in Northern Ireland you would be in the lowest sentencing bracket with a breath reading of 50. Best of luck in court!

Never forget them blue lights I had 4 lots of them as I exited carpark , good honest post from an ordinary person ,it's a life changer usually financial salary insurance transport etc in our drink awareness class Scotland it was estimated from 14 people were over 250k worse financially that was calculated over 2 years only!

Glad your company is keeping your role enjoy the scenery getting there it's certainly huge eye opener & lots of time to reflect although don't kick your own arse! & think positively just knowing slightly smug #it won't ever be you again?

Last edited:
**UPDATE**

Firstly; I cannot believe it's been an entire year since I was charged with drink driving. It's been a journey, to say the least.

At the very start of this ordeal, I felt like my life was over and prepared for the worst. I was so hard on myself and spent months feeling ashamed and disappointed in myself. I esteem myself on being a respectful person and it broke my heart to think that my integrity would be shattered indefinitely as a result of this stupid mistake. Despite my charge being published in the newspaper, I was lucky enough to claim anonymity as the reporter got my name and DOB wrong (to my absolute relief!!). To date, only a handful of people know about my shameful conviction, and I intend on keeping it that way (not even my best friends know).

As of 12:00 am on the 16/05 my 12month ban is up and I cannot wait to get back on the road (still resentful that my lawyer never prompted the judge about the drink-drive course to reduce my ban!) I really feel like I've learned my lesson and vow never to do anything as mindless as this again. I'm not going to lie, the last 12 months have been tough. I've had to be extremely inventive to conceal the truth from work colleagues and friends. I've walked literally everywhere and even tried cycling for a limited time - never again!

To anyone who is at the start of this process, I promise that your obsession with this horrific life event will gradually fade. The paranoia will dissipate and you'll soon come to the realisation that no-one really cares but you. You'll convince yourself that everyone knows, you'll lose your job and your reputation will never recover again. Trust me, it won't be half as bad. You'll hold your head up high, accept responsibility, and get on with.

I genuinely think I've come out the other side a better person. I used to be quite a judgemental person but I've come to the firm realisation that every human, regardless of their upbringing, all make stupid mistakes in life. Everyone deserves a second chance to redeem themselves.

A chapter in my life that I hope NEVER to revisit again!!

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Last Friday I was at a friends house after a long overdue catch up. I had parked my car in an overnight space knowing that the evening would involve some light drinking and a taxi home would be necessary

Over the course of the evening (9pm-4am) we had both consumed a bottle of wine each. We had both stopped drinking at approx 2am and got caught up chatting, watching various comedy clips on youtube etc. After realising how late/early it was I decided it would be best to leave as my friend had committments in the morning.

At this point, I made the fatal judgement in thinking that because I had "felt" fine that I would be safe to drive. I thought because I hadn't drank in several hours that there would be very little alcohol left in my system. How stupid and wrong was I? In similar circumstances I've either walked home or got a taxi. Why did I think differently on this occasion? I'm left constantly asking myself that same question!!

Halfway up the road (2mile trip) I was flashed by police and just as I was about to pull over, they turned to the left. I immediately sighed a huge breathe of relief as I knew at that moment that if I was breathalised there would be a risk of me being over the limit. I judged this to be an extremely close call and vowed never to take this chance again. I continued with my journey and safely returned home. Just as I was about to walk in the door of my house the same police van that had flashed me earlier arrived curbside and asked if I was the name of the person they had quoted to me. I confirmed I was that person. They later asked if I had just been driving a car matching the description they given and I confessed that I had.

They advised that they had reason to believe that my car wasn't insured however I assured them that it was (it later transpired that there was an issue with my private plates and after producing documentation they were satisifed that I was indeed covered) As standard they asked if I had been drinking and I admitted that I had. I blew 50mics that night and the legal limit in Scotland is 22mics. I was beyond devastated.

I later found out that the reason why didn't continue to pursue me in the moment was because they had just witnessed someone run a red light. They opted to pursue this person first however it's now apparent that they failed to catch up with him which is why they raced to my home address to challenge myself about having no insurance.

For the past week I have tormented myself in runing various senarios through my head. I should have stopped and walked the rest of the journey when I was originally flashed as I clearly knew I was taking a risk. If only they busted the other guy! What if I had only managed to get inside my house? Would have they continued to pursue me further as they had no reason to believe at that time I had been under the influence? What if I had denied I was driving, what proof did they have?

I have now came to the firm realisation that irrespective of what could've happened - I've done something wrong and I now need to face the consequences. The past week has been a huge ordeal for me. I'm embarrassed, ashamed, gutted and overall my self respect has taken an absolute hammering. I've had to tell my employers which was humulating, however they have thankfully been very understanding and I've been given assurances that my position will not be at risk. I'm left feeling parnoid, judged, worthless and most devastatingly percieved to be criminal. This connotations associated with drink driving is horrific and society is right to comdemn you. I just hope that I can on day redeem myself as this is not who I am. I made a terrible judgement call where thankfully no one was hurt in the process.

Never before have I had any real perpective on the impact that drink driving can have. It has the ability to take away everything you have worked for. Most importantly your integrity. In some strange way I'm glad this happened now as it's been an illumating experience for many reasons. I know for a fact that this is going to make a better person as much as I'm hurting right now. I'm already more alert to the dangerous of drink driving and I'll be the biggest advocate for the cause against drink driving moving forward.

My court date is in several weeks time and I cannot wait for it to be over so I can start making amends.

If you're reading this and think that because you feel fine in the moment - DONT drive! It's not worth the heart ache to yourself, family, friends or any victims hurt in the process.

Thanks for reading.
Same my court date is next week, I'm so scared my anxiety is very bad I'm in constant panic attack mode, these stories are helping so thank you but I can't seem to shake how I'm feeling I got a job offer a short while ago day before my stupid mistake as a HCA they garda vetted me before hand all clear then but I suppose when I tell them this they will withdraw their offer and that work is hard without a car, I feel so sick

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off