My Story, and next steps?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Toonpatriot

Hi all. A while ago I was convicted of Driving under influence (blew 97), Driving without due care (crashed into road furniture) and Leaving the scene.

I was sentenced to a 2 year ban (18 months with course), 60 hours community service and costs/surcharge. I believe my circumstances may have been taken into consideration as it could have been a lot worse.

I was very stupid and it all really came down to life circumstances with my now ex-wife, her behaviour and my inability to deal with everything which was going on. That said, I made my own decisions that night and there is nobody to blame but myself.

I'm coming to the end of my ban now which expires on May 1st. and I have a few questions. Would appreciate if anybody can help me out.

Am I correct in thinking that because I took the course, I will not get sent documents to apply for a licence? And if so, all I need is to pick up and send off the standard D1 form 90 days prior to ban end? (I'm an HRO)

Also, am I told where and when my medical will be? I'm in a rural area relying on friends for transport, so this does worry me slightly.

Thanks all. And for anybody who is just starting this journey, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The course provider is meant to notify the court, who then notify the DVLA to send you a D27 renewal form after your reduced ban , although there is no harm in sending a D1 form if you prefer.

The DVLA will then send you details of how to book your medical. These are normally in NHS surgeries but you will be paying as a private patient.

The best thing to do is follow the DVLA instructions to the letter. As a high risk offender it should be as simple as a medical but the DVLA can order any tests they want. By staying in the system you reduce the chance of this happening.

Finally, be (mostly) truthful in the medical. The DVLA aren't looking for you to be a nun, and if you drink moderately and claim to teetotal it is very likely the doctor will be able to tell, and they may contact your GP to check. All they are looking for us that you don't misuse or are dependent on alcohol to the point you may still drink even when you know you need to drive.

Almost there - good luck!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off