My medical experience 2017

Convicted Driver Insurance

Chocomilk1

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, this forum has been a great help during my ban, and I thought I'd share my experience with those who are looking for some answers. Please forgive any bad grammar as I'm using a tablet. Read open mindledly I'm not after any judgments nor will I explain why or try to justify my actions. I've posted here purely to help others.

ABOUT ME:
male
31 years old
6 ft tall
medium build (not fat)
no particular exercise or diet

BRIEF CONVICTION BACKGROUND:

2012 - stopped for drink driving blew just 42, first offence, at the police station the police somehow convinced me it was in my favour if I gave blood to sample, which I did (bad choice). Anyway so received a 12 month ban.

late 2012 - while still banned, caught again driving while drunk, blew 87. Went to court and this time ban extended to 30 months and given a suspended prison sentence.

mid 2013 - once again caught drink driving, blowing somewhere in the 80s. This time i knew I had f* up majorly. Went to court and sentenced to 40 months ban now and also 60 days prison of which I served around 45 days.

fast forward 2017, my ban was finished in 2016 but I didn't re apply yet as I was so,used to not having a car and getting around alternatively.

Feb 2017, I abstained from alcohol for 14 full days and did a private medichecks cdt test, which came back and showed 1.5% - I was happy with that and confident that I'm good to apply for my license now. Also took milk thistle as recommended by some here but not sure how much it really helped, I didn't feel any different so probably won't continue taking these any longer,.

had a birthday weekend binge , 12+ units.

TIME FRAME:

sent my my driving license application and fee on wed 1st March. Received my letter back regarding medical by Friday 17 March. I called the doctor and had booked in on the 30th. Pretty simple he explained to bring my DVLA letter, and the £98.50 in cash.

DAY OF THE MEDICAL 30/03/2017

I had refrained from any alcohol since the day I spoke to the doctor, which gave me 13 days alcohol free.
Checked blood pressure, height, weight, had a feel around stomach and below ribs, made me put both feet together with eyes closed to check my balance, and again with eyes closed he asked me to hold my hands up with fingers spread, and touched one of my fingers on each hand and asked me to touch my nose with it. All easy and simple. Then he took blood and we said good bye!

CALLED DVLA FRI 07/03/17 - to check progress, and was delighted to be told that my full license has been issued that morning and to expect it through within 7 days.

all in all a nightmare 4 years for me, but I hope this can help someone who has similar worries. Now finally everything is behind me I am ready to start fresh!

Thanks guys and best of luck to all. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and help :) from my own experiences that is.

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, this forum has been a great help during my ban, and I thought I'd share my experience with those who are looking for some answers. Please forgive any bad grammar as I'm using a tablet. Read open mindledly I'm not after any judgments nor will I explain why or try to justify my actions. I've posted here purely to help others.

ABOUT ME:
male
31 years old
6 ft tall
medium build (not fat)

2012 - stopped for drink driving blew just 42, first offence, at the police station the police somehow convinced me it was in my favour if I gave blood to sample, which I did (bad choice). Anyway so received a 12 month ban.

late 2012 - while still banned, caught again driving while drunk, blew 87. Went to court and this time ban extended to 30 months and given a suspended prison sentence.

mid 2013 - once again caught drink driving, blowing somewhere in the 80s. This time i knew I had f* up majorly. Went to court and sentenced to 40 months ban now and also 60 days prison of which I served around 45 days.

fast forward 2017, my ban was finished in 2016 but I didn't re apply yet as I was so,used to not having a car and getting around alternatively.

Feb 2017, I abstained from alcohol for 14 full days and did a private medichecks cdt test, which came back and showed 1.5% - I was happy with that and confident that I'm good to apply for my license now. Also took milk thistle as recommended by some here but not sure how much it really helped, I didn't feel any different so probably won't continue taking these any longer,.

TIME FRAME:

sent my my driving license application and fee on wed 1st March. Received my letter back regarding medical by Friday 17 March. I called the doctor and had booked in on the 30th. Pretty simple he explained to bring my DVLA letter, and the £98.50 in cash.

I had refrained from any alcohol since the day I spoke to the doctor, which gave me 13 days alcohol free.
Checked blood pressure, height, weight, had a feel around stomach and below ribs, made me put both feet together with eyes closed to check my balance, and again with eyes closed he asked me to hold my hands up with fingers spread, and touched one of my fingers on each hand and asked me to touch my nose with it. All easy and simple. Then he took blood and we said good bye!

CALLED DVLA FRI 07/03/17 - to check progress, and was delighted to be told that my full license has been issued that morning and to expect it through within 7 days.

all in all a nightmare 4 years for me, but I hope this can help someone who has similar worries. Now finally everything is behind me I am ready to start fresh!

Thanks guys and best of luck to all. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and help :) from my own experiences that is.

Hi Chocomilk.
What questions were you asked at Medical.
Did you answer YES to any questions on the Forms.
Do they contact your Doctor.
Regards..

Hi

How did you fill out questionnaire ???

What did you put for last seen by your doctor for ??

Did they contact your Doctor for any reason ??

Many thanks

Hi guys,

ABOUT ME:
male
31 years old
6 ft tall
medium build (not fat)

TIME FRAME:

Hi

Many thanks

Hi Chocomilk.
What questions were you asked at Medical.
Did you answer YES to any questions on the Forms.
Do they contact your Doctor.
Regards..

Sorry for the late reply. Completely forgot about checking in.. too busy going places I missed!

I was asked the standard questions as per the medical form. I didn't lie about anything, I don't take any drugs, not even weed so wasn't any concern for me.

I've never had medical health issues due to drinking, just wrong place wrong time (drunk and in my car).

The last time I visited my doc was around 2012 and that was for a hayfever injection (I called my GP surgery to ask) as I needed contact details of my doc.

He asked me on average how much do I drink and how often etc I was pretty honest and he didn't have any cause for concern.

Hi

Many thanks

I don't think they contacted my doctor after the medical. I took the medical on 30 March 17, and when I called DVLA to check progress on 7th April 17, I was told license was already issued.. I may have been one of the lucky ones but from medical to issue it was a 7 day turn around which I was very happy with, so that makes me assume they didn't contact my doctor.

Also just to mention, I was issued a full 10 years license. I hope this puts some of you guys mind at ease. I was absolutely ****ting it coming up to the days when I sent my application off, to my medical day and so on.

Don't over binge, especially leading up to the medical, keep under limits.

I also do recommend the medichecks test, it was due to that I applied for my medical.. I always thought I'd be way over the 2.2 cdt levels. It's peace of mind.. worth the expense.

Just thought I would add to this - got banned in Jan 2016 blew 93 so HRO - two weeks before medical was on holiday so did drink maybe a bit more than usual.
Went 5 days without anything had medical and it took two months to get license back. Was horrid they wrote to my Doctor twice so assume I was amber.
Took iron tablets and milk thistle.
I did try medicheck buy my blood was not good so had two results they could not process and then ran out of time before medical.

We all make mistakes and I do wish I had not drunk so much on holiday but was all inclusive so hard. Good luck to all out there.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off