My Experience of everything as HRO

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mr-stupid

So on 01/11/17 I made the stupid mistake and drove back from the pub after having way too many to drink to drive, ended up getting caught and having an overnight stay in West Midlands police’s finest. This was by far the worst part of the whole thing I appreciate I had done wrong but you get put in with the worst kind of people, people we’re shouting all night and banging the door constantly.

I got released and charged with drink driving DR10 for having 100MG of drink in 100ml of breath. I was 3 times over the legal limit. I knew I was expected a large ban. Court date was ok 16/11/17. The wait was also horrendous as you just want it all over and find out what you are charged with. I decided to get a solicitor to represent me just as I’d never been to court or even been in trouble before. I had around 4 character references, in all honesty I’m not sure they matter, but did it anyway. I asked to solicitor to try to get me out of any form of community service as I work shifts so would struggle to go. But mainly because I didn’t want to be around the people that I knew may be on there. I got a little bit lucky on the day and didn’t just have a magistrates judge I had one higher up who was able to go outside the guidelines to a degree. Was commented on how well I worked with the police and they had no issues. But then for the big 26 month ban, I had requested the course which I got which would take it down to 19 and a half months. £600 fine and no community service. I will admit it was heart wrenching to hear that large ban as I really did love driving. Anyway time to move on with my life and focus on other things.

Booked my course on 17th jan 2019. Didn’t do it straight away as I decided to go on plenty of holidays and work hard at work. So a year soon flew by and I was on the course. Very informative and people all in the same boat so not judging. Plenty of useful information gained to which I will always remember and have already been passing on to family members and friends. This gave me my reduced ban. Now at 19 and a half months and due to end 1st July 2019. With this confirmed date finally gave me the end date and something to look forward to.

Then I received my D1 form 90 days before my end date. And sent this off with the money (they really do make you pay whether it’s with money or timescales for everything). I then received the letter to book my medical. Got it booked in for 15th may.

I stopped drinking on 20th April, but then I did have a few in 4th may. Then stopped again. So don’t believe you have to abstain for weeks/ months. It’s just to ensure you don’t have an alcohol problem.

I also phoned my doctors to ensure they had nothing on record of me having any issues in case the dvla did write to them. They put in on record I had no issues and would confirm that if dvla wrote to them.

Test on 15th may. Blood test and the questionnaire which is available online. Just be honest in the questionnaire it’s not a test. I answered no to all and said I had a few drinks a week.

I then called one week after, they had the bloods but no questionnaire.

Phoned the doctors I had the medical and they had sent it off but also emailed it over to them for me.

Phoned a week after and they now had everything and it would now go to the medical team to look into. Which could take 2 weeks. I did begin to panic as my ban was up in just over 30 days.

But as of today, checking online 31st may I have had all my license renewed, with a 10 year license aswell.

I’m absolutely over the moon, in 30 days I can finally put all this mess behind me and move on with my life !

Time really does fly ! It’s frightening how fast 18 months has gone. My suggestion to anyone is yes we all know we’ve done wrong and shouldn’t have done it but we have and you can’t keep punishing yourself. We’re only human. I beat myself for months and it got me nowhere. Tell your parents if young they are your biggest supporters. My parents have gave me lifts everywhere when needed (I owe so many lifts) and tell your closest friends, if they care they will support you ! Get trips and things booked so you have plenty of things to look forward to as a pose to just concentrating on your ban end date. I had a count down for everything.

Public transport really ain’t that bad. I’ve got used to it now and certainty would be put off by using it more frequently.

I know I’ve waffled on but I’ve tried to cover things I was always looking for.

I appreciate any piece of help anyone has given me on here. I am only a message away if anyone wants a chat or any information regarding my situation.

I will never put myself in this situation again that’s for sure.

Thanks if you’ve got to the end.

Last edited:
That's a great honest post MS , the fact you took control of matters and found ways to adapt vowed it would never happen again, anyone I mean EVERYONE hro or worse do keep in touch with your own doctor! If he she has any doubts on your progress insist on full blood tests(I insisted regardless given my licence was my JOB) the fact MS had good relation's with his GP probably helped getting a full 10yr licence , this should be a sticky in how to regain your life & licence after HRO status

That's a great honest post MS , the fact you took control of matters and found ways to adapt vowed it would never happen again, anyone I mean EVERYONE hro or worse do keep in touch with your own doctor! If he she has any doubts on your progress insist on full blood tests(I insisted regardless given my licence was my JOB) the fact MS had good relation's with his GP probably helped getting a full 10yr licence , this should be a sticky in how to regain your life & licence after HRO status

Thank you. Yes I’d say 100% keep a relationship with your doctor. Even just a phone call looked like it helped me. Because otherwise they can mess your application up not intentionally.

There is more to life than driving, hard to accept at first. But just to get on and enjoy your life and the ban flies by. Just hope my timescales and message can help someone like this forum helped me. Spent many a nights reading through this forum.

Thanks for sharing your experiences MS, I posted a similar account on here and your right time does fly. I've been back on the road now for two months :) and the whole dreadful experience seem like another lifetime ago and as you say most us won't ever do it again. Best wishes my friend.

Thanks for sharing your experiences MS, I posted a similar account on here and your right time does fly. I've been back on the road now for two months :) and the whole dreadful experience seem like another lifetime ago and as you say most us won't ever do it again. Best wishes my friend.

Thanks. Can’t wait for that day now, to finally move on.

Just wanted to add my final timescale apart from obviously the date of driving.

Today - 03/06/19 - received the all important pink card. Full 10 years.

Finally feels real now. Never been so excited for w piece of plastic to come.

Hopefully this thread will help someone else along the way if god for bid anyone else gets in this position.

Thanks.

Don't think a 1 year licence is your free ticket from the DVLA , we've had posters loosing there licences after no apparent reasons after 1 year ticket,! But do keep in touch with DOCTOR
In fact there's someone having issues on 20 years ago alcohol record!
The DVLA will look into your life

Last edited:
Don't think a 1 year licence is your free ticket from the DVLA , we've had posters loosing there licences after no apparent reasons after 1 year ticket,! But do keep in touch with DOCTOR
In fact there's someone having issues on 20 years ago alcohol record!
The DVLA will look into your life
I have a 10 year license ?

Yes MS but this post is informative for others#most will land a 1 yr licence with no guarantee renewal
Oh okay fair enough. Scared me for a moment. Yes should’ve mentioned the fact you may receive a one year license which makes it vital to visit your doctor as dvla won’t just renew it after 1 year.

Can anyone help or advise? I’m due to apply for license this week. I’m classed as a HRO due to failure to provide.
I usually drink twice a week. I went out on Saturday and drank over 10 pints.
I’m not alcohol dependent, no history of alcohol abuse but am worried about test.
How long should I not drink before?
I just need a clear answer!
Many thanks

Can anyone help or advise? I’m due to apply for license this week. I’m classed as a HRO due to failure to provide.
I usually drink twice a week. I went out on Saturday and drank over 10 pints.
I’m not alcohol dependent, no history of alcohol abuse but am worried about test.
How long should I not drink before?
I just need a clear answer!
Many thanks

When is your test mate ? If I was you I’d leave it a long as you can. I done about 3 weeks but I did have a few pints about one week and a half before. It’s only testing if you are alcohol dependant. They know everyone has a drink. Make sure you also have a conversation with your doctors tho. Hope this helps. Have a look at my times I didn’t stop for too long and I passed fine and never had any further investigation into my medical history.

When is your test mate ? If I was you I’d leave it a long as you can. I done about 3 weeks but I did have a few pints about one week and a half before. It’s only testing if you are alcohol dependant. They know everyone has a drink. Make sure you also have a conversation with your doctors tho. Hope this helps. Have a look at my times I didn’t stop for too long and I passed fine and never had any further investigation into my medical history.
I don’t have test date yet. I’m waiting for D1 from DVLA. So after applying how long will that take for test dates? It’s so confusing

I don’t have test date yet. I’m waiting for D1 from DVLA. So after applying how long will that take for test dates? It’s so confusing
D1 came on 2nd April. Papers to book medical was 15th April. I booked my test for 15th may.

Thanks. Im just not going to drink alcohol for a while. It’s just frustrating. I know I broke the law and deserved to loose my licence but it’s just so vague as to what to do about leading up to test. I’m still waiting for the D1 so I’m just going to avoid alcohol until after. It’s just worrying if social drinking shows up. I’ve started taking multi-vitamins and will get some milk thistle. Just need this whole headache to be over

Thanks. Im just not going to drink alcohol for a while. It’s just frustrating. I know I broke the law and deserved to loose my licence but it’s just so vague as to what to do about leading up to test. I’m still waiting for the D1 so I’m just going to avoid alcohol until after. It’s just worrying if social drinking shows up. I’ve started taking multi-vitamins and will get some milk thistle. Just need this whole headache to be over

Honestly mate I was the same as your self bit of social drinking most weekend. Few in the week. I just cut down and was honest in the medical questionnaire and I passed fine. If you really wanted to double checking you can get the medi checks one done. I didn’t bother. I also never took any extra vitamins. So wouldn’t worry too much over it. But I get what your saying you do just want everything over with.

Thanks for advice, I really do appreciate it.
I not sure about what to say to GP regarding blood test?
I don’t have a relationship with my GP as I don’t ever need to visit. Although I did in the waiting period leading up to court date as I got signed off work for stress.
Also, once I am asked to book with Doctor are there set dates?
It really is a terrifying ordeal. After getting banned I didn’t want my life to stop. After all, alcohol is legal! I just did something incredibly stupid once in almost 20 years of driving

Thanks for advice, I really do appreciate it.
I not sure about what to say to GP regarding blood test?
I don’t have a relationship with my GP as I don’t ever need to visit. Although I did in the waiting period leading up to court date as I got signed off work for stress.
Also, once I am asked to book with Doctor are there set dates?
It really is a terrifying ordeal. After getting banned I didn’t want my life to stop. After all, alcohol is legal! I just did something incredibly stupid once in almost 20 years of driving

All I did was just phone them as to see them was around a two week wait. I spoke with my doctor. Explained the situation. Confirmed I had nothing on record with regards to drinking problems. Could he add this conversation to my record incase dvla write to them. And then he would have the info incase they did.

Yes once you book your dates it’s confirmed. Then blood test and medical questionnaire which you can find online.

I completely agree mate. I have been so stressed at some points with regards to it. But it does get easier, tell family and close friends that helped me having people to talk to. They will support you. Again get things planned in so you have more to look forward to and concentrate on. And believe me it does get better and you’ll be amazed how fast time flies. I genuinely can’t believe how fast 18 months has gone by. Quite scary tbh.

Just letting you know my story. Went for medical on 29th November 19.. Blood test back on the 7th and they wrote to my GP who received the paperwork on the 10th December. FOUR whole weeks went by and the finally wrote back to the DVLA who recieved this on the 10th Jan. 10 days now and still nothing. My ban was up on the 26th December. 25 days ago!!!!
8 weeks since my medical and still waiting!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off