My drink drive conviction/story.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Aks25x

I would like to share my drink drive conviction to help those whom may be going through it now and would appreciate any advice on anyone who has been in my situation and has eventually got back on the road (car insurance!!!!!)

I attended my work xmas do December '18, drove my car the next morning thinking I was ok!! So drove about 5 mins, was instructed to pull over, officer asked if there was a male as registered keeper (I am female btw), he explained it came up as MR! Which was obviously a DVLA error. All licence, insurance checks went through and came back as normal. I was then asked to be breathalyzed (I just thought this was a regular routine with the festive season). Unfortunately I was over the limit and blew 62, I was then cautioned and taken to the police station, with the other officer driving my car to the police station too.

I stayed in a cell for a few hours they kept breathalysing until it was the legal limit, I was then cautioned, given a court date and released on bail, and I was allowed to drive my car home from the police station?

I attended court, this was my first offence, with a clean licence (I've had my licence for just under 3 years). I was given a 17 month ban, £120 fine, no penalty points, and the worst of all a criminal record. The judge also offered my a drink drive rehabilitation course which can reduce my ban by 3 months.

I worked in the NHS, I had already handed in my notice before this incident.. so I regretted this and I felt like my whole world had just collapsed. I had so many questions going round and round in my head a) I won't be able to find another job with this criminal record which will ALWAYS be on my DBS checks b) I wont have no income coming in c)no car d)how would I be able to afford car insurance. (I suffer from mad anxiety so I just questioned everyyyyyyythinnnggg).

I just felt like my whole world turned upside down and I genuinely did not know where my life was going to take me. I stayed up hours reading these forums just to get reassurance that I can have a life again, that I was not the only one going through this..

As well as applying for jobs day and night; I kept stressing about income so I had no other option but to sign on and was eligible for £300 a month (which is something I guess). I always declared my conviction on job applications along with a cover letter, I did get invited in for interviews but unfortunately was always turned down? I guess I was probably against others who had a clean record- which I knew I would be discriminated against. .

I felt like I was doing nothing with my life so I signed on to a teaching course online, along with being offered a job as a support worker with vulnerable children!!!! Anyway its been 3 very long months of no job, no car and I finally see everything slowly falling into place. I have 10 months until my ban is up and I know it will fly by!!

To those who have been convicted and scrolling through these forums like I did, I know it may feel like your life is falling apart, but your life is what you make of it. Don't give up, stay positive and look forward to getting your car back and getting back on the road. I know I still have 10 months left, I've done insurance quotes being honest about my ban, fine, etc and surprisingly It has not affected my insurance atall!!

Keep strong, everyone makes mistakes just make sure you learn from them :) xxx

Nice honest post Aks25X

You were treated very fairly by the police and the courts am unsure why you needed to hand in your notice! It's actually amazing the amount of support(not sympathy) you can get after a conviction of this nature,
My employer kept my HGV position open for me whilst undertaken a lesser position albiet half the salary#
But like you rose to the challenges straightened my arse in the right direction and put all my efforts into what I had left! Which was a bycicle ? that year actually was the best time I've ever spent! Not only did I cycle to work I cycled everywhere seen so much and met hundreds of people otherwise would of just passed by in a flash!

Life's back on track my employer reinstated me and I still mix cycling with car journeys & will never ever forget that time albiet not in same circumstances again#

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off