MOT / Tax / Insurance - planning ahead

Convicted Driver Insurance

Gilln1

Well Known Member
I'd like to seek the thoughts of the wise heads on this forum about planning to get back on the road.

• I have a car on SORN, parked on the driveway now with no MOT or insurance.
  • My ban ends midnight 17th Jun
  • I have (hopefully) got insurance in place for 18th Jun - however the insurer wants to see an MOT cert prior to the policy starting
  • .GOV website says: "You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment."
So, if a friend or family member who has their own car insurance allowing them to drive other vehicles takes my car to / from an MOT station for a pre-booked test before my ban ends (say next week for sake of conversation), put's it back on my drive now with an MOT still under SORN does that sound plausible / legal?

As the .GOV clearly states to / from then I interpret that as being able to take it there and back under SORN, with my friend / family member having a copy of the booking when taking it to the MOT station.

That would then mean I have an MOT in hand, that I can send to the insurer to appease them, a car on the drive that I can then tax on the morning of 18th Jun and get on the road.

Is it that simple or have I missed something?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received !

Went through the same recently - you're pretty much spot on. Except once your car has passed the MOT it will be accessible by the insurers so they will be fine, plus tax can be done online with instant checking during the process. It certainly wasn't cheap but was relatively painless.

Went through the same recently - you're pretty much spot on. Except once your car has passed the MOT it will be accessible by the insurers so they will be fine, plus tax can be done online with instant checking during the process. It certainly wasn't cheap but was relatively painless.
@jamesbrown1 thanks very much for the sanity check.

Fortunately a couple of people have already offered to drive it in and out for me, but I just want to be clear in my own mind it was above board.

Cheers !

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off