medical - summary of my test

Convicted Driver Insurance

wazza1

Had my medical in manchester today and was unsure what to expect following a variety of reports on this forum. Thought I would give a summary in case it helps to put people's minds at rest.

Upon arrival asked to complete questionnaire, on my own, in waiting room. Standard questionnaire that can be found on here on other threads through google.
Paid my £98.50 cash and was invited into doctors room.
Medical consisted of the following: Blood pressure, height, weight, listening to breathing front and back through stethoscope, light into eyes an ears, quick feel of stomach region and asked about any abdominal pain, take small blood sample. Finished.

No discussion about answers on questionnaire, no optician style eye test, no urine test.

Was fearing the spanish inquisition but no more than a mild physical at best.

Go to your medicals with no fear people. Having said that I don't know if I passed the blood test, but should be fine and nothing to do with your medical examiner. Down to the Kings lab people. Best of luck everyone.

That nils for letting us know. We can read about the theory of the medical, but it is good to hear how it pans out in practice.
did you cut down / abstain from alcohol, if so, for how long before the medical?
good luck with the blood result, let us know how it turns out.

That nils for letting us know. We can read about the theory of the medical, but it is good to hear how it pans out in practice.
did you cut down / abstain from alcohol, if so, for how long before the medical?
good luck with the blood result, let us know how it turns out.

It wasn't the best timing to be honest. Applied end of October but the earliest they could see me was 7th Jan. Had my 40th on the 18th Dec, Christmas and New Year to contend with. Having read up on the CDT I decided to drink as usual on my birthday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and NYE. Didn't touch a drop at any other times.

The CDT test works as follows, excuse my laymans terms but this is as I understand it. The liver produces a by product at all times. This by product typically consists of a molecule that will have 5 chains within it. If you drink more than about 5 units a day then the liver can't cope and the by product will only have 1 or 2 chains, instead of 5. The CDT test analyses the number of these molecules within your blood that have less than 5 chains. It only goes back over a 2-3 week period so 2 weeks of abstinence should return the count to normal.

I could be wrong of course but from everything I've read it is designed to identify prolonged heavy drinking rather than normal levels of social drinking. Effectively I've only drunk with a 5 or 6 day gap in between so am banking on being OK. I really only ever drink on a Friday night anyway and only 3 or 4 pints, so would in no way consider myself to have a drink problem. Hopefully the tests will reflect that.

I'll let you know how I get on.

It wasn't the best timing to be honest. Applied end of October but the earliest they could see me was 7th Jan. Had my 40th on the 18th Dec, Christmas and New Year to contend with. Having read up on the CDT I decided to drink as usual on my birthday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and NYE. Didn't touch a drop at any other times.

The CDT test works as follows, excuse my laymans terms but this is as I understand it. The liver produces a by product at all times. This by product typically consists of a molecule that will have 5 chains within it. If you drink more than about 5 units a day then the liver can't cope and the by product will only have 1 or 2 chains, instead of 5. The CDT test analyses the number of these molecules within your blood that have less than 5 chains. It only goes back over a 2-3 week period so 2 weeks of abstinence should return the count to normal.

I could be wrong of course but from everything I've read it is designed to identify prolonged heavy drinking rather than normal levels of social drinking. Effectively I've only drunk with a 5 or 6 day gap in between so am banking on being OK. I really only ever drink on a Friday night anyway and only 3 or 4 pints, so would in no way consider myself to have a drink problem. Hopefully the tests will reflect that.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Good luck Wazza, it would seem that the medical varies from doctor to doctor, with mine the doctor completed the questionnaire with me... I just checked and signed it....you must have been in and out pretty quickly...

Moodle :)

Good luck Wazza, it would seem that the medical varies from doctor to doctor, with mine the doctor completed the questionnaire with me... I just checked and signed it....you must have been in and out pretty quickly...

Moodle :)

I was in there for 30 mins tops but without idle conversation between tests I could have been out in 10 mins. £98.50 cash. Getting a dvla contract for a doctor must be like winning the lottery. Still, a necessary evil, and ultimately we can all only blame ourselves. Just glad its over and the end is in sight, waiting will get increasingly more nerve wracking as the days tick by I imagine.

I was in there for 30 mins tops but without idle conversation between tests I could have been out in 10 mins. £98.50 cash. Getting a dvla contract for a doctor must be like winning the lottery. Still, a necessary evil, and ultimately we can all only blame ourselves. Just glad its over and the end is in sight, waiting will get increasingly more nerve wracking as the days tick by I imagine.

Yes I got like that but mine was with me in about 18 days including 2nd class postal service time :)

Keep us posted :)
Moodle

:rolleyes: Just got my license through the post :D:D

15 days from medical. Celebrated New Years Eve in style, 7 days before medical, so if you're not a heavy drinker do not fear the blood test.

Good luck everyone

:rolleyes: Just got my license through the post :D:D

15 days from medical. Celebrated New Years Eve in style, 7 days before medical, so if you're not a heavy drinker do not fear the blood test.

Good luck everyone

Congrats Wazza, good news indeed :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off