Medical fails and timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance

Woodchip

Hello. Can anyone tell me if they have failed the medical and if they know why? What reasons other than alcohol are you likely to fail it if they contact your gp?

I'm waiting for my gp to get back to the dvla and I'm beside myself with anxiety.

Also if they contact your gp how long then does the process take from people's experiences.

Thank you in advance for any help

It's unclear from your post what stage at the process you are at.

After a DD conviction the main indicator of chronic alcohol use is the CDT test. But each case is assessed individually. The DVLA can and, being fairly incompetent, do often investigate fairly unrelated matters.

They tend to contact your GP essentially for your summary care record, which has more detail about your recent medical history, and a summary of your entire medical history from birth, combined with a questionnaire about your suitability to drive.

If they are at the stage of contacting your GP then a lot of reliance will be based on their questionnaire. If they indicate that you may chronically abuse alcohol, or that you currently misuse alcohol, then it greatly reduces the chance of you regaining your licence.

Unfortunately the appeal process is difficult and you are relying in a subjunctive judgement by a civil servant. If you are worried and your GP is receptive you could always try and discuss it with them in advance. No matter what the DVLA says about your GP taking forever to reply they normally reply very quickly, complete with invoice, because they get paid for each response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply.

I am currently waiting to hear of I'm getting my license back from the dvla. The doctors sent of their form on the 31st. This is making me ill as my life is depending on getting license back. Do You know how quickly the dvla make a decision after hearing back from your gp?

Also the alcohol aspect of getting the license back doesn't worry me as I have no issues, however I have suffered bouts of depression and severe stress and anxiety, mainly because of this whole situation. Is this likely to stop them giving me my license back?

Thanks

You really need to speak to your GP. On the questionnaire they send one of the last questions us basically "Do you think this person should have a driving licence?".

That is always the crucial one. In my experience it is very rare they will take your licence away for depression, but it is complex. If you have told the GP you drink more when depressed, they may see that as a sign you are likely to abuse alcohol.

If you want to know you can request your medical records for free from your GP. Normally the DVLA decision takes 6-8 weeks.

Thank you for your reply.

I am currently waiting to hear of I'm getting my license back from the dvla. The doctors sent of their form on the 31st. This is making me ill as my life is depending on getting license back. Do You know how quickly the dvla make a decision after hearing back from your gp?

Also the alcohol aspect of getting the license back doesn't worry me as I have no issues, however I have suffered bouts of depression and severe stress and anxiety, mainly because of this whole situation. Is this likely to stop them giving me my license back?

Thanks
How did it go?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off