Medical - DVLA say I should have seen two doctors but only saw one, now I'm disqualified and must re-apply, anyone else have this?

Convicted Driver Insurance

gaplayer26

Hey Everyone,

First post here ever and I wanted to share my unfortunate and frustrating time I'm having with the DVLA renewing my driver’s license this year.

I've been banned twice, my last ban was 4 years reduced to 3 years if I did the "The Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course", which I did and for me, personally, it was a real eye-opener, both to myself and alcoholism taking control again. Anyway, I digress...

I got my driver’s license back again a little over a year ago or so. I had to go to a DVLA elected doctor and pay the doctors’ fees myself (they did not re-reimburse me). So, I went and had the medical, blood, urine questions etc. The doctor said there shouldn't be any issues, and there weren't - I can't remember the exact amount of time it took for my license to arrive, between 4-6 weeks, but it arrived! SWEEEEEET

The only stipulation/restriction was that my license was only valid for a year after which I would need to go for another medical in 12 months to continue driving - sure, I can accept that, I am classified as a high-risk driver to the DVLA, insurance and the public...I get that, understand and support it.

------------------

My D1 arrived well in time before the expiration date, I filled in and sent it off, got a reply back from the DVLA asking me to complete the DR1 and M1 forms too (same as before for me). I was expecting this so no issues, I filled in the forms, sent them off and got the reply that they are writing to my doctor and will get back as soon as they've heard back from the doctor. I get another letter saying that they've not heard from my doctor so have to go and see a DVLA appointed one (great, this is talking time but it's the same as the last few times!).

So, I get an appointment with the doctor, see them and spend no more than 10 minutes in the consultation. No blood or urine samples taken - I thought this was odd but that the DVLA was now becoming more trusting and lenient or something (of course I was wrong). he doctors asked about my mental state and how my drinking was - I just explained that when I got banned almost 5 years ago now, I was in and out of hospital for alcohol withdrawals and regularly visiting the doctor for help. I was homeless, jobless and recently divorced and sleeping in my car. Now, I'm employed full time at the same company for almost 4 years, I've re-married. Life...life is 'what it should be' is how I feel most days I explained. The doctor said that all seems fine and sent me on my way...(4 weeks ago now)...

Last Friday I got a letter from the DVLA saying that my license has been SUSPENDED as I did not attend my appointment! I went straight to the doctors and got an official letter from the doctor confirming the report had been sent it had the date and invoice the doctor's had sent to the DVLA.

So, I called the DVLA this morning - THERE WERE TWO DOCTORS I WAS SUPPOSED TO SEE! WHAT? Apparently two separate letters were sent out on the same day and for whatever reason, one never arrived. There was nothing in the letter I received to say that this was an appointment for a mental assessment only and that another would follow soon for a physical. Given my past experience, I've never seen two different doctors for the same case, I've never heard of anyone else either?

So, the DVLA man on the phone said that he understood, but I can't drive and should download the DR1, M1 forms from the website, grab a D1 from the post office, fill them all in, scan and email them to the email address he gave me on the phone. He said he understood, but I am no longer allowed to drive at this moment. Also, emailing the forms takes 3-4 days to 'get through the system' whereas posting would take 3 -4 weeks - hopefully this will get done a lot quicker.

- Has anyone else experienced this (i.e. Two different medical exams for the same case, when you've never had this before)?

- Is there anything I can do to help my case or speed things up even faster?

Surely the DVLA should notify you if they've not received anything from your doctor(s) a few weeks before your time is up?

I feel for you! You have obviously done a great deal to turn your like around and now you come up against DVLA beaurocracy.
They are entitled to make all necessary enquiries to satisfy themselves that you are fit to drive, so they can ask you to see 2 doctors with different specialities. I have known them to make enquiries with a GP and separately a consultant overseeing a particular problem before.
Sadly I think you have to do as they ask, as the alternative is is to go to the magistrates court to ask them to DVLA decision, which is going to take longer than just playing along.
If the nominated doctor cannot offer a quick appointment, get back on to DVLA and ask that they nominate another one in your area to keep this process to a minimum timeframe.

I feel for you! You have obviously done a great deal to turn your like around and now you come up against DVLA beaurocracy.
They are entitled to make all necessary enquiries to satisfy themselves that you are fit to drive, so they can ask you to see 2 doctors with different specialities. I have known them to make enquiries with a GP and separately a consultant overseeing a particular problem before.
Sadly I think you have to do as they ask, as the alternative is is to go to the magistrates court to ask them to DVLA decision, which is going to take longer than just playing along.
If the nominated doctor cannot offer a quick appointment, get back on to DVLA and ask that they nominate another one in your area to keep this process to a minimum timeframe.

Thanks for the reply John, I doing just that, re-applying and hopefully after scanning all the documents and sending via email (doing this today) things will get sped up.

I just wish they had mentioned in the letter that this is part 1 or 2 (or x) examinations required - I will update this thread and I hope it helps for anyone else going through the process.

One question, in the past, once they'd received my initial D1/DR1/M1 application, they said I could drive but still needed a medical - do you or anyone else know if this will be the case again? i.e. I may get this initial reply from the DVLA in a 2-4 weeks or so, meaning I can drive but then still have to go through the medical process etc.?

Also, advice for anyone else applying for their license - phone the DVLA on a regular basis and check in on the status of your application! I did not realise you could do this, this is a failing on my part.

The ability to drive pending the outcome of the DVLA medical was scrapped some 4 years ago. This, however, related to High Risk Offenders with their medical. As you have had a restricted 1 year licence already, and then stumbled at the second, I would ask them if you can have a letter of authority to drive in the meantime. They can only say no.....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off