Long road so far trying to get licence back

Convicted Driver Insurance
im still waiting 3 weeks this wensday blood test all done so by the time ive got it back if i ever do i may as well just have done the full ban mine ban was up in feb the 26th i done the blood test 17th of march
You done your medical a day before mine. I’m still waiting when I called them they said they are going in date order so I don’t know how many people are before us but takes the mick. Literally payed for a course for no reason

You done your medical a day before mine. I’m still waiting when I called them they said they are going in date order so I don’t know how many people are before us but takes the mick. Literally payed for a course for no reason
You only did the blood test a few weeks ago, even in normal times it can take longer than that to get sorted....

And by the way, if you hadn't done the course you would not have been able to apply until much later. You would still join a queue from then and you would therefore not get your licence back until much later, so you haven't done the course for no reason...

im thinking the same seems like money for old rope

please let us all no when you get yours back as i will do the same and how long its taken you and this may put people off and save them a lot of stress

Afternoon

Without p**sing on anyone's chips - I read that the DVLA staff are set to go strike from Tuesday (6th April) to Friday (9th April) due to safety fears over their working conditions during the Covid pandemic. It would seem that the DVLA HQ in Swansea has seen one of the biggest outbreaks of the Coronavirus in any workplace in the UK since the Four Nations went into the original lockdown in March 2020.

As the employment unions are involved and some staff are really riding on this due, this issue in the 'delay process' is likely to rumble on for the foreseeable future, even when good old Covid is not much of a threat anymore. No doubt further strike action is planned in the coming weeks/months.

For anyone serving a drink driving ban or awaiting a HRO medical, this is really grim news and likely to continue to backlog an already 'clogged' system, causing further misery for those who are desperate to get back on the road.

For those remarking that the Drink Driving Course isn't worth doing - think again! If you feel you won't get the benefit of the reduction because of the DVLA delays, you will still be waiting at the end of the ban anyway (if you do the full term), like Big Tom said.

It is very frustrating for everyone, but after going through this pain and misery myself at the end of last year it is even more of a deterrent to prevent us committing the same offence in the future.

CJ

Afternoon

Without p**sing on anyone's chips - I read that the DVLA staff are set to go strike from Tuesday (6th April) to Friday (9th April) due to safety fears over their working conditions during the Covid pandemic. It would seem that the DVLA HQ in Swansea has seen one of the biggest outbreaks of the Coronavirus in any workplace in the UK since the Four Nations went into the original lockdown in March 2020.

As the employment unions are involved and some staff are really riding on this due, this issue in the 'delay process' is likely to rumble on for the foreseeable future, even when good old Covid is not much of a threat anymore. No doubt further strike action is planned in the coming weeks/months.

For anyone serving a drink driving ban or awaiting a HRO medical, this is really grim news and likely to continue to backlog an already 'clogged' system, causing further misery for those who are desperate to get back on the road.

For those remarking that the Drink Driving Course isn't worth doing - think again! If you feel you won't get the benefit of the reduction because of the DVLA delays, you will still be waiting at the end of the ban anyway (if you do the full term), like Big Tom said.

It is very frustrating for everyone, but after going through this pain and misery myself at the end of last year it is even more of a deterrent to prevent us committing the same offence in the future.

CJ
hi how long did you wait from the blood test to getting your licence back ?

7 weeks, phoned 3 times a week, 2 weeks before my licence was due back i emailed Tim Burton and got a phone call the next day saying licence been issued

7 weeks, phoned 3 times a week, 2 weeks before my licence was due back i emailed Tim Burton and got a phone call the next day saying licence been issued
hi thank you do you have an email for this chap and a number i can call

hi how long did you wait from the blood test to getting your licence back ?

I did my HRO medical on the 19th November 2020. My ban ended on the 13th December 2020, but I didn't get my authority to drive until midnight on the 21st January 2021.

What kept me waiting for so long was my wonderful GP hadn't even returned their DVLA questionnaire which was still sat in their correspondence tray four weeks later!!!

Not all the blame can be put at the DVLA's door. You do need to be mindful that GP's have something like a 40 day time period to respond to any documents the DVLA send them, even if your ban is ending soon.

CJ

My disqualification ends on 16th July 2021. I am a HRO and will have to apply as per the DVLA rules 90 days before my disqualification ends and also have a medical.
My concern that the DVLA still have my old address and if the D27 is sent out it will go there and I will be buggered. I did write to the DVLA in September 2020 to inform and them of the change of address and recently I sent another letter. However when I search the DVLA website re my ban details it still has my old address.!!?
Does anyone have a contact in DVLA to request at least the change of address and also to chase the D27 form.?
Also I have tried to call the DVLA but it seems to be busy or they have a automated message saying they too busy and call back later. The webchat isn't working either!
I just cant seem to contact anyone there- Should I try Tim Burton?
Thanks

Don’t worry about the D27, just go to the post office and get a D1 form from there. Identical to the D27 and you can submit that 90 days before your ban is up. You put your former address on it, then put your current address for them to link it up.

Don’t worry about the D27, just go to the post office and get a D1 form from there. Identical to the D27 and you can submit that 90 days before your ban is up. You put your former address on it, then put your current address for them to link it up.
I was advised by the drink awareness course that this could take longer. Apparently D27 forms filter through to the correct department mish quicker whereas D1 applications go into a massive pile for all drivers applying for a licence. This is so frustrating and I ve called all the telephone numbers 01792 782956, 03007906806, 03007906801 and are all busy with automated messages to call back later. The webchat ends the chat because there are no operatives to answer. The DVLA is uncontactable.! Do you know of any other way to contact them please?

Whoever told you that is wrong! .... or you misunderstood.
the postcode for a D27 is identical to the postcode for a D1, as being the postcode for a HighRisk offender or an ordinary application.
How would DVLA know which ones to put in
A Pile? The ones with the postcode for HRO go to SA99 1TU
The ones for ordinary drink drive applications go to SA99 1AA
Other applications for renewal etc all go to their respective postcodes (you can see them on the back of the D1)each postcode is a different department.
They then go direct to the relevant department... so it is the correct postcode that counts, not the form used.
You can submit your application on 15th April so get the D1 and fill it in ready as I described with your lid and new address.

Last edited:
Whoever told you that is wrong! .... or you misunderstood.
the postcode for a D27 is identical to the postcode for a D1, as being the postcode for a HighRisk offender or an ordinary application.
How would DVLA know which ones to put in
A Pile? The ones with the postcode for HRO go to SA99 1TU
The ones for ordinary drink drive applications go to SA99 1AA
Other applications for renewal etc all go to their respective postcodes (you can see them on the back of the D1)each postcode is a different department.
They then go direct to the relevant department... so it is the correct postcode that counts, not the form used.
You can submit your application on 15th April so get the D1 and fill it in ready as I described with your lid and new address.
Thanks for you great advice. I posted my application yesterday plus recorded delivery. Fingers cross that it all falls in place with regards to the medical and eventually receiving my licence back.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off