Likely sentence

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mark

Hello.

Last Thursday evening/Friday morning I crashed into two parked cars (thank god no one was in them, nor was anyone hurt. The damage was not as bad as it could have been, none of the cars are written off I don't think) As these were parked in a residential area the owners came out and called 999 after they realised I was drunk. The Police turned up and breathlised me and I blew a 116 at roadside and then at the station. After that came the usual - a Night in the cells, interview in the morning, court date set for the end of the month, and then sent on my way.

I have no previous convictions so was wondering roughly what the magistrate will give me in terms of the sentence? I expect at least a 2 year ban, 100 odd hours community service and a fine. Is there any chance of a prison term?

On a side note the amount I had was about 8-10 pints from around 1pm (2 at lunch, and then the rest after 5 through until about 10.30ish. I found out the next week that some of my work colleagues had slipped shots into my pints throughout the evening (it was my birthday on the Friday) This obviously wouldn't have saved me being over but could I put it forward in court as a reason why I was so much over the limit?

When I was arrested I made no fuss, the Police were kind of joking with me after they found out it was my birthday, basically saying at least you haven't hurt anyone etc etc. At all times I was polite and civil with them from the off. Will this be taken into account?

Thank you.

Hi Mark

I was caught drink driving about 2 years ago in a similar situation.

I had no previous convictions and I was given a 28 month ban (reduced to 21 months for taking the alcohol awareness course), £200 fine and a 80 hour community order due to being over 3x the limit.

For your first offence it is incredibly unlikely that you would be given any custodial sentence but you may well get a community order like me depending on the alcohol reading in your blood.

Try to keep your chin up and learn your lesson, it will all work out ok in the end.

Best of luck

Hi Mark

I was caught drink driving about 2 years ago in a similar situation.

I had no previous convictions and I was given a 28 month ban (reduced to 21 months for taking the alcohol awareness course), £200 fine and a 80 hour community order due to being over 3x the limit.

For your first offence it is incredibly unlikely that you would be given any custodial sentence but you may well get a community order like me depending on the alcohol reading in your blood.

Try to keep your chin up and learn your lesson, it will all work out ok in the end.

Best of luck

Thanks very much.

I started feeling a bit better after getting back to work on Tuesday (also relieved I'm 99% keeping my job) and normality has slowly began to resume. Before then I was a bit of a state. Have looked at it by saying I haven't hurt anyone - and at the end of the day its only metal that has been damaged. I do feel sorry for the people who have to get their motors repaired and regret I had to get anyone else enrolled in my stupid decision....

Either way a 21st birthday to remember! (Or forget as it may be)

Thanks once again.

Hello.

Last Thursday evening/Friday morning I crashed into two parked cars (thank god no one was in them, nor was anyone hurt. The damage was not as bad as it could have been, none of the cars are written off I don't think) As these were parked in a residential area the owners came out and called 999 after they realised I was drunk. The Police turned up and breathlised me and I blew a 116 at roadside and then at the station. After that came the usual - a Night in the cells, interview in the morning, court date set for the end of the month, and then sent on my way.

I have no previous convictions so was wondering roughly what the magistrate will give me in terms of the sentence? I expect at least a 2 year ban, 100 odd hours community service and a fine. Is there any chance of a prison term?

On a side note the amount I had was about 8-10 pints from around 1pm (2 at lunch, and then the rest after 5 through until about 10.30ish. I found out the next week that some of my work colleagues had slipped shots into my pints throughout the evening (it was my birthday on the Friday) This obviously wouldn't have saved me being over but could I put it forward in court as a reason why I was so much over the limit?

When I was arrested I made no fuss, the Police were kind of joking with me after they found out it was my birthday, basically saying at least you haven't hurt anyone etc etc. At all times I was polite and civil with them from the off. Will this be taken into account?

Thank you.

Hi Mark,

For a breath reading of 116, the guidelines suggest a community order and a disqualification of between 23 & 28 months. Co-operating with the police can only go in your favour. The fact there was an accident indicates a greater degree of harm that could have been caused to members of the public and yourself. It is unlikely you will be given a custodial sentence seen as its your first offence and you will no doubt be given the opportunity to take the rehabilitation course which will reduce your disqualification by 25%.

Like westover says, let this be a lesson learned. It can be very worrying until your court case is over and done with. It isnt the end of the world, and like you realise, it could have been a whole lot worse!

Last edited:
Thanks once again for the info.

One final question, I've held my licence for 3 and a half years. Is it likely I'll have to resit my Driving Test(s)?

Thanks once again for the info.

One final question, I've held my licence for 3 and a half years. Is it likely I'll have to resit my Driving Test(s)?

It is up to the discretion of the court. They usually order a re-test when there is evidence of inexperience, incompetence or infirmity, or the disqualification period is lengthy (a number of years).

I recall when i was done for failure to provide the police descibed me as very vocal and cooperative which can only by held in your favour. Therefore they didnt require to cuff me. My probation officer said this was a good thing as I was very remourseful and my first conviction in (a lot older than you) 40 years. I too was worried I would be sent down but the police said to me highly unlikely. However do be wary they pulled me afterwards about 2 months later (after the honey moon period as they call it) so they are on your case!!!!

Brilliant - your answers have put my mind at a bit of rest now.

If anyone is interested I'll post up my sentence when it is passed at the end of June.

Thank you all so much once again

28 month Ban
80 Hours community Service
£95 court costs

Got back from court an hour ago and considering myself very lucky.

Thanks once again for all your advice. Will hopefully never have to use this site again (no offence meant by that!!!)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off