License reapplication

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jabberw

Good morning,

I am a designated HRO. In January of 2017 I re-applied for my license with the DVLA but was rejected and received a letter that stated 'We have received medical evidence as part of this enquiry that you have a history of alcohol dependence within the past 12 months and/or persistent alcohol misuse within the past 6 months, so you must not drive'. It then goes on to say that either a 12 month period of abstinence (for dependence) or 6 months (for misuse) is required.

I contacted my GP (a week or so later) to see if the DVLA had any contact with the DVLA and was informed he had not.

I'm assuming that the DVLA medical report was only used in this instance, both CDT levels and questionnaire asked by their medical doctor. I was drinking prior to my abstention (of approx three weeks prior to the test) about 40 units a week.

My question is, will the DVLA automatically contact my GP as a matter of course to ask them to fill in their own questionnaire when I apply again? From my patient record I can see that the registrar asked me an ACUTE questionnaire around April 2017 regarding alcohol consumption, I stopped alcohol altogether as of 1st March 2017 and as such the questions relating to volume of units consumed and frequency were detailed N/A by the registrar.
I rarely go to the doctor, perhaps once a year. To this end would this be classified as proof of abstention? I'm not concerned about the CDT test and would expect >1.0% but am in the process of getting a private test performed to verify.

I am also in the process of contacting my GP to see if there are any 'coded' messages on my file as I had shown him the DVLA letter at the time. Would you recommend that I speak with my GP in the first instance?

Many thanks for any input.

By the sound of your own admission you answered honestly to the DVLA questionnaire which is very admirable especially if you have any on going alcohol issues ,# what dates were your abstinence# it's not entirely clear why you have failed? Given your posted CDT# just read again 1st of March 2017 you quit alcohol so the DVLA are regarding you as dependency# but good news you will and should be able to reapply based upon the date march 2017 and not the letter dated they sent
It doesn't matter how much abstinence you had prior to medical , although it's not exactly clear you are meant to be alcohol free if dependency 1yr dependency or abuse 6mths : the fact you consumed 40 units per said weeks prior to an examination beggars belief# if within last year! not here to judge you, like said I commend you honesty and it's also your chance to turn things around,

Keep in touch with your Doc over the next year even 2 visits /stay positive and allow them confidence with your abstinence, you will be required in another year to go through another medical that's inevitable

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off