Licence revoked 1 year / Dependency question

Convicted Driver Insurance

Darkman

Hi this my first post on here I had a DVLA medical in June 2021. I had to do both CDT and drug test.
I had reported to my dr back in 2018 I had a dependency to alcohol. I managed to over come the dependency and was able to be a social drinker drinking well within the recommended guidlines and have continued to do so ever since.

I passed my test in 2019, sadly in 2020 I had a collision with a cyclist which even though the cyclist was at fault the claim still went against me due the vulnerability of it being a cyclist.

Obviously the police was involved there was no drinking a driving issue involved when the collision occured. However a few month later after insurance was payed to the cyclist. I recieved a letter from the DVLA that the police had notified them I may have condition that may effect my ability to drive.

I recieved 2 letters one notifying me I must not drive & my test results the CDT levels was 0.6 which I believe is a low reading?
Also drug test was fine. They have stated in the letter because I have a history of dependency I must be abstience for one year.
I have checked on the DVLA Fitness to Drive medical guidliness which states even after remaining abstience being issued with a licence I have to show continued abstience.

So my question is am I correct in thinking for me to be able to drive I can never have a drink again?
I find this difficult to understand as I already have been able to control my drinking the CDT test proved my levels are low.
From what has been stated I am unable to drink any alcohol ever again should I wish to continue to drive is this correct?

Any help with this would be gratefully apprieciated.

Last edited:
The DVLA standard once you have been deemed ‘alcohol dependent’ is that you do not consume alcohol at all.
As to it being ‘for life’, that is the intention, but in reality DVLA can continue to issue 1 year licences for 6 years, requiring abstinence every time.
They then look to issue a full 10 year licence and do not carry out any further check on your sobriety.

The DVLA standard once you have been deemed ‘alcohol dependent’ is that you do not consume alcohol at all.
As to it being ‘for life’, that is the intention, but in reality DVLA can continue to issue 1 year licences for 6 years, requiring abstinence every time.
They then look to issue a full 10 year licence and do not carry out any further check on your sobriety.
Thank you for your reply,

I have spoken to my dr today on the phone. Truthfully when I went to see the Dr originally when it was recorded for dependency to alcohol which would of been in 2017. I never really got any help sorting my issue out I did that part myself with the drinking. It was just recorded on my medical file. In 2018 I went and spoke to my Dr about wishing to learn to drive. I`m annoyed as the Dr never pointed out that I must not drink at all if I wish to drive. All he did was bang on about his responsibility and duty of care as a healthcare professional.

Well to be honest it was lovely to hear how he had to cover his own back side. But like I said to him what about your responsibility and duty of care to your patients as nothing was ever mentioned that I couldn`t even have any drink at all.

I said to him If I had been informed by a Dr in the first place when I said I was going to sart driving. I wouldn`t of drank any alcohol whatsoever. Now this is going to cost time and money. His response was "I don`t know what to say" my reply was I wonder how many others are you not telling that have ended up in my situation for lack of professional advice and information as its pathetic and I think I will leave it there before I say something really bad to you.

My next question is please Price 1367 what tests do I need to ask for by my G.P so I can demonstrate I am absentence in 12 months time

You will need Liver Function Tests (LFT)s every three months or so. Best wishes

You will need Liver Function Tests (LFT)s every three months or so. Best wishes
Thank you RSC, can you tell me if I have to take restest and theory test again ? I have held a licence since January 2019 until Jan 2022 when it was revoked

Last edited:
I think that people who have had their full licence for two years or less would have to take a re-test. However note the word think. There are others on here with more knowledge who will be able to answer

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off