Licence renewal

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ginge78

Hi all...
Looking for some advice please.. im a HRO and are currently driving on a one year licence which is due again in January... do I need to ring dvla closer to the date to get a medical booked or is that something they will do and let me know..? Haven't been on here for a while.. but the last time I was it was a nightmare getting anything sorted.. as for me and everyone else.. im assuming not much has changed..?? Thanks in advance..

Hi all...
Looking for some advice please.. im a HRO and are currently driving on a one year licence which is due again in January... do I need to ring dvla closer to the date to get a medical booked or is that something they will do and let me know..? Haven't been on here for a while.. but the last time I was it was a nightmare getting anything sorted.. as for me and everyone else.. im assuming not much has changed..?? Thanks in advance..
Good to be thinking ahead and i have just received my licence back so will be in the same position next year. Pretty sure you can send another D1 form in to renew but someone like price or grice will be along to explain a little more

Hi all...
Under normal circumstances they are supposed to contact you 90 days before the day your licence expires.
I called them last December about 4 days or so after I was technically supposed to receive the renewal / medical forms and hadn't done so. They sent them out the same day.
It pays to be proactive with DVLA, particularly nowadays so it's worth the repeated calls to get through.

Under normal circumstances they are supposed to contact you 90 days before the day your licence expires.
I called them last December about 4 days or so after I was technically supposed to receive the renewal / medical forms and hadn't done so. They sent them out the same day.
It pays to be proactive with DVLA, particularly nowadays so it's worth the repeated calls to get through.
Yeah thats what I was thinking.. as you probably well know they need chasing quite a lot.. !! I was about 5 months over my ban date getting this one.. then I heard on the radio a couple of days ago there getting so many complaints with licensing in the medical department that they have taken on more staff... 🤞 it should be alright...

Yeah thats what I was thinking.. as you probably well know they need chasing quite a lot.. !! I was about 5 months over my ban date getting this one.. then I heard on the radio a couple of days ago there getting so many complaints with licensing in the medical department that they have taken on more staff... 🤞 it should be alright...
Yeah, i hope so too. I'm sure I read 500 staff but I may well be wrong in this and / or it was that figure for DVLA overall to deal with the backlog (V5's, applications etc). I would just count back 95 days and call them, hopefully that's not too long for you and at least you've still got your licence at the moment...ive been waiting since early March and under S88 with expired licence. Damn GP took 11 weeks to fill in form and only sent to DVLA at beginning of this month.

Yeah, i hope so too. I'm sure I read 500 staff but I may well be wrong in this and / or it was that figure for DVLA overall to deal with the backlog (V5's, applications etc). I would just count back 95 days and call them, hopefully that's not too long for you and at least you've still got your licence at the moment...ive been waiting since early March and under S88 with expired licence. Damn GP took 11 weeks to fill in form and only sent to DVLA at beginning of this month.
Oh right.. I take it the S88 still let's you carry on driving then..? How do you get issued with one if them if they don't sort your medical out on time..?

Oh right.. I take it the S88 still let's you carry on driving then..? How do you get issued with one if them if they don't sort your medical out on time..?
Looks like we are both on a late one, eh? I was just about to shut my eyes when I saw this.
Anyway, S88 is just Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act. You should just do a Google search on this and you will find the DVLA leaflet and it will describe the circumstances as to how you may qualify to drive. From memory though :
Your previous licence must not have been revoked and you must not have any current convictions /pending prosecutions.
You need to discuss your "fitness to drive" with your GP and it is agreed you are.
You must be sure that your application would not be refused.
You do not have any new medical conditions you need to notify DVLA about.
You need to have applied and your completed and correct paperwork is already with DVLA.
I can't remember how it works with HRO though you should check the site /ask the question directly. It may well be fine you have been you are on a one year licence and have kept your nose clean as this current licence has not been revoked but you need to check this out - I am not familiar with anything to do with drink driving.
Also as far as I understand you do not actually get issued with anything to cover you for S88, it is not a decision made by DVLA, they say it is essentially between you and your doctor.
The most you will ever get from DVLA (either in one of their letters addressed to you or verbally by medical line staff) is that "you could be entitled to drive under Section 88 of the RTA". I was told by staff in December last year that "I SHOULD be able to drive" which I found surprising.
Anyway, check out the DVLA leaflet online and most importantly find out on this forum about being (formerly) classed as HRO and the S88 / current one year licence.

Looks like we are both on a late one, eh? I was just about to shut my eyes when I saw this.
Anyway, S88 is just Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act. You should just do a Google search on this and you will find the DVLA leaflet and it will describe the circumstances as to how you may qualify to drive. From memory though :
Your previous licence must not have been revoked and you must not have any current convictions /pending prosecutions.
You need to discuss your "fitness to drive" with your GP and it is agreed you are.
You must be sure that your application would not be refused.
You do not have any new medical conditions you need to notify DVLA about.
You need to have applied and your completed and correct paperwork is already with DVLA.
I can't remember how it works with HRO though you should check the site /ask the question directly. It may well be fine you have been you are on a one year licence and have kept your nose clean as this current licence has not been revoked but you need to check this out - I am not familiar with anything to do with drink driving.
Also as far as I understand you do not actually get issued with anything to cover you for S88, it is not a decision made by DVLA, they say it is essentially between you and your doctor.
The most you will ever get from DVLA (either in one of their letters addressed to you or verbally by medical line staff) is that "you could be entitled to drive under Section 88 of the RTA". I was told by staff in December last year that "I SHOULD be able to drive" which I found surprising.
Anyway, check out the DVLA leaflet online and most importantly find out on this forum about being (formerly) classed as HRO and the S88 / current one year licence.
Ok.. thanks for your advice 👍 much appreciated..

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off