Licence renewal after 3 year licence.

Convicted Driver Insurance

DevonHRO

Hi All,

I have lurked for years on this forum and found it very useful, so thanks.

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I am coming to the end of my 3 year temporary licence and have just had, and returned, my application, alcohol questionnaire and medical questionnaire. My question is this, should I be expecting to take another medical as I did when my I got my licence back after my ban, or is it now a case of them just issuing a new licence? I have answered 'no' to all the alcohol questions and have never been treated in any way for alcohol dependence, so I am not worried about that, plus I know they will probably contact my GP again anyway, but I am worried that if I have to have another medical I will be getting dangerously close to the time my licence will expire considering current DVLA delays.

Has anyone experienced renewing a 3 year licence and can they tell me how it worked for them? I know it will not be the same for everyone, but a general rule of thumb would be useful

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I am coming to the end of my 3 year temporary licence and have just had, and returned, my application, alcohol questionnaire and medical questionnaire. My question is this, should I be expecting to take another medical as I did when my I got my licence back after my ban, or is it now a case of them just issuing a new licence? I have answered 'no' to all the alcohol questions and have never been treated in any way for alcohol dependence, so I am not worried about that, plus I know they will probably contact my GP again anyway, but I am worried that if I have to have another medical I will be getting dangerously close to the time my licence will expire considering current DVLA delays.

Has anyone experienced renewing a 3 year licence and can they tell me how it worked for them? I know it will not be the same for everyone, but a general rule of thumb would be useful

Thanks
Hi All,

Thanks in advance
If you need a medical and it happens to be after your 3 year licence expires, you'd be able to drive under section 88 I'd assume, other questions I'm sure someone will pop along and answer who has been in similar situation to you, but that's not me I'm afraid, good luck!

To confirm what Jimbob says, you can
Drive under s88 in your circumstances for up to 12 months while your application is considered, so long as DVLA have received your correct completed application and your Gap has confirmed to you that he / she has no concerns about you driving.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Hi Devon, I presume you already know about the s.88 rule allowing you to drive while waiting for your medical, if not then above answers this - I think you are also actually asking whether the DVLA questionnaires sent through will suffice, or will they ask you to do the medical/CDT test and/or contact your GP?

The answer to this is - depends.... sorry it's not helpful but DVLA are a law unto themselves. Sometimes they will take things as said on a renewal of a medical licence, other times they will go back to the start and request the medical, the blood test and contact the GP. I am aware of some people having their licence reissued (both further temporary medical licences, and full 10 year ones) with minimal further disruption, i.e. no medical or blood test. As I say, it really depends on what notes they have on the system about you, previous results and other agency inputs. Some people go through 6 years of renewals requiring full contact with medical and GP on each occasion, but generally I believe that as the risk diminishes, so does the medical evidence required.

I just wanted to update this for anyone interested. As per my first post, I re-applied for my licence mid March, and received my new licence...yesterday.

The process for me was not more than the DVLA writing to my doctor, I was not asked to take another medical, so basically 5ish months to write a letter!

I was getting nowhere until I rang them early August and said it was at the point my company were no longer happy with me driving company vehicles on a Section 88 and my job was in danger. From that point they seemed to kick into gear, contacted my GP and issued my new licence withing 4 weeks.

Weirdly I appear to have been given a 7 year licence, which is odd, but at this point I am just relieved to have it back.

My advice to people is to keep pestering them, but in a polite way, at some point they will make you a 'priority' case.

Devon

Congratulations on getting the new licence. Without looking at your background - did you get a 12 month licence to begin with, then a 3 year licence?

I'm presently on a 12 month temporary licence after serving a drink driving ban as a HRO. Come the time when the licence expires next January, I'm anticipating using Section 88 because of the ongoing issues in Swansea. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will recieved a three year licence once the DVLA medical team finally pull their finger out.

Am I right to assume that a seven year licence for you means you have been 'written off' the HRO books now? I take it come the end of the seven years, it is simply just an admin process of renewing your licence without the miather of doing yet another medical and contacting your GP?

CJ

Devon

Congratulations on getting the new licence. Without looking at your background - did you get a 12 month licence to begin with, then a 3 year licence?

I'm presently on a 12 month temporary licence after serving a drink driving ban as a HRO. Come the time when the licence expires next January, I'm anticipating using Section 88 because of the ongoing issues in Swansea. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will recieved a three year licence once the DVLA medical team finally pull their finger out.

Am I right to assume that a seven year licence for you means you have been 'written off' the HRO books now? I take it come the end of the seven years, it is simply just an admin process of renewing your licence without the miather of doing yet another medical and contacting your GP?

CJ

Hi CJ,

I was actually lucky enough to go straight onto a 3 year licence, rather than a 12 month. Looking back, I have no idea how, but not complaining.

I was confused by the 7 year thing, as I thought you could go to 5, or full, but clearly not. I will take 7 every day of the week!

I would assume that once the 7 years comes to an end they will write to my GP again, and assuming nothing has changed, I will then go back to a full licence. Although I am just guessing at this point.

Good luck with your process!

Thanks

Aidan

Hi CJ,

I was actually lucky enough to go straight onto a 3 year licence, rather than a 12 month. Looking back, I have no idea how, but not complaining.

I was confused by the 7 year thing, as I thought you could go to 5, or full, but clearly not. I will take 7 every day of the week!

I would assume that once the 7 years comes to an end they will write to my GP again, and assuming nothing has changed, I will then go back to a full licence. Although I am just guessing at this point.

Thanks

Aidan
The answer to the 7 year thing is that you have now been issued with a full licence…. Which should be for 10 years because your photo has to be renewed every 10 years… BUT you have already had a 3 year licence on that photo so there are only 7 years left until you have to renew it, the same as everyone. Congratulations!!!!

The answer to the 7 year thing is that you have now been issued with a full licence…. Which should be for 10 years because your photo has to be renewed every 10 years… BUT you have already had a 3 year licence on that photo so there are only 7 years left until you have to renew it, the same as everyone. Congratulations!!!!

Thats even better news than I thought!!!

Hi CJ,

Thanks

Aidan

Devon

I'm lead to believe the High Risk Offender system lasts for six years, where the medical team have you under the microscope.

As you have already done 3 years on the road, and now have 7 years to look forward to, I would find it very bizarre if the DVLA medical team go through the HRO medical process with you again in 2028!!!!

A standard driving licence lasts for ten years before you re-apply for a new one and update your picture. I am assuming you will simply fall into this category by then.

Also I would think your DR10 would have expired by 2028 (it lasts for 11 years) so I would find it odd if the DVLA insist on writing to your GP and dragging you back for a medical when the time comes!!!!

CJ

Hi CJ,

Thanks

Aidan
Was this your first offence DevonHRO? You also said that you have never had any treatment for alcohol related abuse/misuse, so I am wondering why you weren't given a full 10 year licence when you initially applied?

After my first offence, I received a full 10 year licence. The only treatment I had a was a 1 week course of Diazepam and some counselling from our local Addiction Services.

Not sure what I'll be given this time though as my first offence was in April 2017 and my 2nd offence in July 2019.

BTW, AA are the best Alcohol Addiction service you will find.

I'm due in a similar timescale to CJ1980,my question is this,will they write to my GP again,as the last time,my GP wouldn't write back until they had payment,and dvla wouldn't pay till they wrote back!
I eventually paid the surgery myself to shortcut this stalemate

I'm due in a similar timescale to CJ1980,my question is this,will they write to my GP again,as the last time,my GP wouldn't write back until they had payment,and dvla wouldn't pay till they wrote back!
I eventually paid the surgery myself to shortcut this stalemate

Chrism

I wouldn't be paying up front again!!!! The benefit this time round is having Section 88. As long as you complete the necessary forms and send them back, if your GP chooses not to play ball with the DVLA that is something they need to fight out amongst themselves - you cannot be held accountable for the ineptitude of others! At least you can continue driving with Section 88 while they draw the battle lines.

CJ

Chrism

I wouldn't be paying up front again!!!! The benefit this time round is having Section 88. As long as you complete the necessary forms and send them back, if your GP chooses not to play ball with the DVLA that is something they need to fight out amongst themselves - you cannot be held accountable for the ineptitude of others! At least you can continue driving with Section 88 while they draw the battle lines.

CJ
Albeit DVLA may still not issue the new licence until they have the medical report back from your GP, if they don't reply then your S.88 runs out after 12 months and you are back to square 1 without being able to drive.....

I'd suggest if your GP won't comply, either change GP or at very least complain to the practice manager and/or local primary care group. Sticking your head in the sand very rarely works in most situations...

Was this your first offence DevonHRO? You also said that you have never had any treatment for alcohol related abuse/misuse, so I am wondering why you weren't given a full 10 year licence when you initially applied?

After my first offence, I received a full 10 year licence. The only treatment I had a was a 1 week course of Diazepam and some counselling from our local Addiction Services.

Not sure what I'll be given this time though as my first offence was in April 2017 and my 2nd offence in July 2019.

BTW, AA are the best Alcohol Addiction service you will find.

No, second offence, so twice in ten years, although 9 years apart. That being said offence 2 would have been enough to qualify as HRO on its own, thats why I was surprised to get a 3 year licence, rather than 1 year after my ban ran out. After offence no.1 I did immediately get a a full 10 year licence.

No, second offence, so twice in ten years, although 9 years apart. That being said offence 2 would have been enough to qualify as HRO on its own, thats why I was surprised to get a 3 year licence, rather than 1 year after my ban ran out. After offence no.1 I did immediately get a a full 10 year licence.

Devon

Reading between the lines - I am assuming you have no recorded medical history with alcohol dependancy/misuse?

For anyone who has a 'clean' medical background, the DVLA usually award the HRO driver with a longer licence.

Just because you have served a second ban is irrelevant - the DVLA are more interested in identifying any difficulties with alcohol in your medical records.

If there is anything historic on your medical notes that is alcohol related, the DVLA usually start you off with a 12 month licence when your ban comes to an end.

CJ

Devon

Reading between the lines - I am assuming you have no recorded medical history with alcohol dependancy/misuse?

For anyone who has a 'clean' medical background, the DVLA usually award the HRO driver with a longer licence.

Just because you have served a second ban is irrelevant - the DVLA are more interested in identifying any difficulties with alcohol in your medical records.

If there is anything historic on your medical notes that is alcohol related, the DVLA usually start you off with a 12 month licence when your ban comes to an end.

CJ

Nope, no history of alcohol misuse.

So for those interested-

After offence 1 - I received a full licence

After offence 2 - I received a 3 year licence, followed by a full licence.

Devon

CJ
Morning CJ. I have been given a 1 year license due to alcohol misuse. Do you know whether I need to do regular LFT’s over the next year as proof of controlled drinking or whether a passed medical + good GP referral next year is sufficient? Thanks

Morning CJ. I have been given a 1 year license due to alcohol misuse. Do you know whether I need to do regular LFT’s over the next year as proof of controlled drinking or whether a passed medical + good GP referral next year is sufficient? Thanks

Morning

To answer your question - yes - you don't need to get the LFT's done regularly like you did during the ban, but maybe having one done mid-way through the first year would be helpful.

You have passed the hardest part of the process. What the DVLA do second time round is just write to the GP again and confirm there have been no issues during the intervening 12 months while you have been back on the road.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off