Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Weavand is right when he says that there are different % CDT figures with DVLA.
The official stance is that for HRO, 3% or above is a fail
2.3-2.9% is refer for further information
Under that is OK.
(Incidentally, when research assessments are being carried out on alcohol dependent people who claim be abstaining, they use the cut off point at 1.6% to indicate that they are back on the waggon to some extent.)

BUT of late they have changed the goalposts . For HRO they generally do write to your GP regardless of your CDT result.
If there is any history of alcohol misuse on your files, they want to see abstinence for 6 months if it is called misuse, or 12 months abstinence if it is called dependence or you have been in detox.
Then they want to see test results for LFT at regular intervals through your GP, and then DVLA get you to have a CDT test where they look for the result to be..... well I have seen it described as a maximum of 1%, or under 1% - which is why I tend to say 0/9%. Above that, or in Weavands case, an admission of drinking alcohol, means that you fail.
Not been on here much in the last couple of months hence the reason at my 1.8 reading which is why they contacted my GP . Just as i remembered (y) Seen my GP just after christmas and was awaiting for an appointment for blood test then the lockdown. Been documented that i was on the wagon so at least i am in a good place there so when GP can resume blood tests its not my fault i have not had them done. Hopefully by october i may get one done and then apply for licence in the new year.

Thanks Price, That's giving me a better picture of things.

Nothing has been mentioned to me from DVLA to have LFTs. May be I'm in a slightly different category, I'm a disabled guy who was drinking a bit to much. Through bad communication from DVLA and honesty on my part, what started as a 6 month mis-user got changed to someone dependent. It's gone from bad to worse.

I'm going to DR's to write me a statement that I have abstained. Then reapply.

Then, hopefully blood test. I worry that it will come in at 0.3% for example. And then DVLA say, we don't believe you abstained for 1 year.

Thanks Price, That's giving me a better picture of things.

Nothing has been mentioned to me from DVLA to have LFTs. May be I'm in a slightly different category, I'm a disabled guy who was drinking a bit to much. Through bad communication from DVLA and honesty on my part, what started as a 6 month mis-user got changed to someone dependent. It's gone from bad to worse.

I'm going to DR's to write me a statement that I have abstained. Then reapply.

Then, hopefully blood test. I worry that it will come in at 0.3% for example. And then DVLA say, we don't believe you abstained for 1 year.

The DVLA don't tell anyone to get LFT's took me weeks to get that out of them. They're part of the evidence that they expect from anyone asked to abstain. Blood tests are the only way to prove your abstainance a letter with a date from a doctor is worthless without evidence.

Hi guys, just to clarify then if you are classed as alcohol dependence then your CDT reading should be no more than 0.9 in order for you to achieve a 1 year temp licence, this figure proves to DVLA that alcohol is little to none in the system, they also use this figure because some foods contain natural alcoholic ingredients such as fruit juice, bananas and apples, these alcohol levels are commonly known as sugar alcohols, which they have to make allowances for in the CDT reading, anything above 1.0 will show to DVLA that a drinking pattern has occurred......and you will be refused ......

Mine was 1.1 when I did it in 2019 and i got my license back.
I've been worrying myself sicon the last week as I have my license back now since coming back on this forum I've been told I can not admit to drinking even though the bastards said I just had to follow guidelines. And now I'm worried they are gonna ask me to do a cdt when I was told a wouldn't not have to go through that again. 2 questions from me am I classed as a HR0 i wasn't convicted of drink driving and can I drive under section 88 I they do not have my license processed when it expires to me it looks like I can.

Mine was 1.1 when I did it in 2019 and i got my license back.
I've been worrying myself sicon the last week as I have my license back now since coming back on this forum I've been told I can not admit to drinking even though the bastards said I just had to follow guidelines. And now I'm worried they are gonna ask me to do a cdt when I was told a wouldn't not have to go through that again. 2 questions from me am I classed as a HR0 i wasn't convicted of drink driving and can I drive under section 88 I they do not have my license processed when it expires to me it looks like I can.

I would check what they class you as. It should be on previous correspondence. I was classed as dependent and a HRO at one point, but these labels no longer apply. I am just on a medical license and it lasts for one year. Which is a pain but not the end of the world. I have just had my license reissued for a year, and didn’t even have to attend a medical, so that may well happen to you. I think it depends on your form and the response of your GP.
As for section 88, yes you can definitely drive whilst the application is processed (as long as you don’t have any problems). I was told this by the dvla twice. Because you have a license you are in the medical ‘pile’ and therefore can use section 88 up to 1 year.
And I would 100% not admit to any drinking to the dvla. Even if it is 1 pint. They can’t tell if you’ve been socially drinking, so the 12 month absitinent insistence is kind of a mute point.

Thanks for that matey ' so basically becauseof my previous experience in know that If I had a lft done now it would probably be high and that's not down to a problem that just a few big weekends it's enough i know.
Do yu think I'm best hanging onto the forms for a month before I send them off that way If i need to go to doctors for any lft I will be OK. I'm on a big health kick now. And I need my license for August i start a new job.
When you reapplied ( thechief5) did you provide medical evidance?as they told me I just had to fill the form in and that was that..

I've dug out both letters the 1st revoking my license ' it says due to alcohol dependency you must not drive.

The 2nd says below. So 2 different statements i sent a shit ton of evidence to support it was not alcohol dependant is it possible they downgraded it to alcohol misuse when I got it back.

Attachments

• 1592131860690-1626085451.jpg
    1592131860690-1626085451.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 76
Ahhh I take it you just book it with local gp and have the test, how are the HRO'S proving abstaining with the lockdown what a nightmare.

This sounds utterly ridiculous.. the DVLA are passing the buck to the GP and the GP passing you straight back. what a situation... surely the DVLA should have measures in place, i.e. a DVLA appointed doctor for people to visit, say once a month if they demand a person to be monitored for alcohol use?

I am a high risk driver and My driving ban was up in march 2020. I did my first blood test and questionnaire in january and admitted i only drank 2 pints within the last 6 months, The doctor sent that test over and it was classed as inconclusive because the blood sample was sent late to laboratory etc.

Anyway pandemic arrived so i had to wait for another appointment, which was in june 2020 i had another blood test and questionnaire,which i told the doctor i stopped drinking and my last drink was 7 months ago which was the 2 pints i admitted on the first blood test and questionnaire.

Now d.v.l.a has recieved the blood sample and questionair but decided to write to my g.p

Problem is before i got convicted as a high risk driver in november 2018, and slighly after i got arrested, i went to my doctor and told him about the offence, and told him that last few weeks beforen the offence was commited i have been drinking too much due to stress. I dont exactly remember what was i said however it was between them lines.

I dont exactly know what they wrote to the doctor. Some people say they go back 12 months for dependence and 6 months for misuse. Some people say they go back 3 years and some say they go back 6 years. I dont know what to belive.
If they go back 12 months for dependence and 6 months for misuse i should be fine.
If they go back and more then that, then i may be classed as dependant or misuse.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

They go back 6 years in your GP records, the relevance of dependence or misuse is that they look for abstinence for 12 months or controlled drinking for 6 months respectively.
On the questionnaire you are asked about when you saw you GP about alcohol issues. If you didn’t declare it then DVLA will take a harder line with you when they find you did see your doctor about your drinking......

I am a high risk driver and My driving ban was up in march 2020. I did my first blood test and questionnaire in january and admitted i only drank 2 pints within the last 6 months, The doctor sent that test over and it was classed as inconclusive because the blood sample was sent late to laboratory etc.

Anyway pandemic arrived so i had to wait for another appointment, which was in june 2020 i had another blood test and questionnaire,which i told the doctor i stopped drinking and my last drink was 7 months ago which was the 2 pints i admitted on the first blood test and questionnaire.

Now d.v.l.a has recieved the blood sample and questionair but decided to write to my g.p

Problem is before i got convicted as a high risk driver in november 2018, and slighly after i got arrested, i went to my doctor and told him about the offence, and told him that last few weeks beforen the offence was commited i have been drinking too much due to stress. I dont exactly remember what was i said however it was between them lines.

I dont exactly know what they wrote to the doctor. Some people say they go back 12 months for dependence and 6 months for misuse. Some people say they go back 3 years and some say they go back 6 years. I dont know what to belive.
If they go back 12 months for dependence and 6 months for misuse i should be fine.
If they go back and more then that, then i may be classed as dependant or misuse.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?
If they go back and more then that, then i may be classed as dependant or misuse. . .

You are talking about two different things.
DVLA do ask currently about any history of alcohol dependence or abuse, going back 6 years.
If that is confirmed in the report, then they look for evidence of abstention for 12 months or controlled drinking for 6 months respectively.

Hi,New on here.Ive only just heard about after reading this forum about 4 lots of LFTs i
was banned in 2009 and have had issues throughout the years and have only recently got myself together re alcohol.I was given a hospital detox on 18/08/2019.I have been abstinent since but have only had one blood test in March which came back normal Lfts etc.I've had two telephone appts (One last week) with a consultant where he states in letters to gp that i am abstinent and my liver is doing well.I've sent in a DR1 with his letters.Will the fact that i do not have 4 lft results automatically lead to a denial of my license.???.As it would have been almost impossible (due to lockdown) to have got them anyway.I'm thinking about if they say No i need 4 lft results,am i then effectively "driving whilst refused".Or driving "Other than in accordance"One is legally a more serious charge,and if i have to have 4 lft's im wondering whether to cancel the application,and just drive other than in accordance until i have 4 lfts to show.Thanks..

I’m classed a HRO.

I went to my doctor about a stomach pain due to going to turkey and drinking and eating spicy foods, I’m going to call them and make sure this hasn’t been recorded as dependency or anything or am I being stupid to think that would be labelled as misuse or dependancy.

I have however had dependency on anti depressants but I’ve been off then for a year I’m hoping that won’t be put down as some kind of drug addiction it’s medication?

fingers crossed I know they will write to my GP because of what I’ve read on here, I wasn’t told to stay fully abstinent from alcohol so had A few nights out the last few weekends and my cdt test is 16 days away so I feel ill just about pass, I don’t drink often anyway but just had a few celebrations.

from what I’m reading it’s complete luck and they majority of the time are being incredibly harsh on peoples history , I will argue they are discriminating if I am refused due to mental health issues.

as I’m HRO if I put I’ve drank anything in the last twelve months does that mean 12 month testing? It so I’ll lie because that’s ridiculous you’re allowed to drink responsibility no one said I had to be fully abstinent.

They go back 6 years in your GP records, the relevance of dependence or misuse is that they look for abstinence for 12 months or controlled drinking for 6 months respectively.
On the questionnaire you are asked about when you saw you GP about alcohol issues. If you didn’t declare it then DVLA will take a harder line with you when they find you did see your doctor about your drinking......

Hi Price

Does everyone have to fill in a form D1? I’m HRO but have no alcohol issues and nothing to state that on my GP records. However, the first question states alcohol dependance. Surely if that form is given to you to fill in it must follow from GP records that state you have dependence? Regards.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off