Licence expired during ban, send photo?

Convicted Driver Insurance

RodPlod

Hi all, my 3 year ban is up end of September. I've noticed from an old copy of my photocard licence that it expired 2 years ago, during my ban!

I'm filling in a D1 (I haven't receiveed a D27 and it's only 5 weeks to go...) so do I tick 'renew with new photo' and follow all the new photo guidance?

Thanks.

On the back of the D1 at the top there is the option to put your passport number on the form and sign to say you consent to DVLA accessing your details from there. They will then use your passport photo for your driving licence.
If you do not have a passport or it is out of date then you have to submit a fresh “passport type” photo with your application.

On the back of the D1 at the top there is the option to put your passport number on the form and sign to say you consent to DVLA accessing your details from there. They will then use your passport photo for your driving licence.
If you do not have a passport or it is out of date then you have to submit a fresh “passport type” photo with your application.
Thanks a lot Price1367. Yes my passport is quite recent, I'll fill that in and send it off, cheers.

Hi again, just an update, as this might help anyone else out in this situation.

I managed to get through to a very helpful advisor at DVLA on the phone. I *do* need to send a photo - she said the passport number option only works for photos when done online, so for postal you need to send one in. And of course, postal is a requirement in this case. Also, a new photo is needed as my licence did expire during ban.

I'm sure you're right price1367, where a regular 'photo renewal' can be done online using your passport number.

Cheers!

So if you can only use passport option online why is there option to put passport number on paper application form? doesn't make sense

I have checked, RodPlod is correct and the option to submit your photo via the “use my passport” part of the D1 IS only for online applications, which I agree seems silly. There should be a ‘D1a‘ or similar for postal applications, or at least a note to say ‘not applicable to paper submissions’.

I have checked, RodPlod is correct and the option to submit your photo via the “use my passport” part of the D1 IS only for online applications, which I agree seems silly. There should be a ‘D1a‘ or similar for postal applications, or at least a note to say ‘not applicable to paper submissions’.
Oh right, so when I sent my paper app I never sent a new photo because I thought they'd use my passport, but because my license that I had prior to being disqualified would of still been in date will I still get away without a new photo? Also don't suppose you know if section 88 is applicable to me and I'm OK to drive while I'm waiting on receiving my licence I wasn't a hro and applied for it 5 weeks ago but taking ages due to covid. Thanks

You have to wait for your licence to come back (or at least show it has been issued on the DVLA database) you will get a licence that runs out when your previous photo runs out (i.e. 10 years from your last photo submission)

You have to wait for your licence to come back (or at least show it has been issued on the DVLA database) you will get a licence that runs out when your previous photo runs out (i.e. 10 years from your last photo submission)
OK thanks for your reply, it's really frustrating as I just wanna get back on the road plus the fact I payed money to do course so I get my licence back early x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off