Left in limbo

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ella jane

Hi, I'm desperate for advice. I'm the partner of someone who was arrested for drink driving. Basically he was arrested, blew twice the legal limit at the roadside. He was taken into custody. He was later released without charge pending further investigation. He says he wasn't given any further tests in custody. We don't know if he's going to be charged or not, his mental health is fragile and I'm so worried. We also think that dangerous driving was involved as he hit 2 parked cars, panicked and left the scene of the accident. This is his first offences, and I am not justifying his actions but he was under significant stress and had consumed a large amount of alcohol mixed with sleeping pills. It's so devastating to our family, as his sons were in the car at the time. He now can't see them. Please don't judge I know this is as bad as it gets, I just need to know what happens next.

I be straight with you he will be punished for the offence without doubt, the judge will see it as serious as there were young occupants involved, 1st offence with mitigating plea may just about keep him out of prison, 2nd offence will be a different ball game,

Thanks for your honesty, we're absolutely devastated, we still don't know what he Will be charged with. I spent yesterday speaking to doctors as he was threatening to take his own life.
I don't suppose you know when he Will be charged ? We have no information at all.

When did this happen? What time of day was it? Where the boys injured? I crashed my car and was involved in an accident with another driver and very foolishly left the scene. It was late at night and no serious injuries. I was banned for 2 years and got 100 hours community service. So he might not get the book thrown at him.
Yes it isn't great what happened. He probably feels like the scum of the earth. I feel for you going through this too.
But he mustn’t let it destroy him. It could be a steep learning curve and the reason he turns his life around. You should take each day as it comes. Decide on whether to have a solicitor represent him at court. I did and I’m glad of it. He needs to get at least five character references. They don’t need to be from pillars of the community, just people he knows. They need to paint him as a very sorry, ashamed and remorseful person for whom this behaviour is totally out of character. It won’t hurt to mention that he’s going through a tough time mentally but wants to get better.
Whilst I waited for trial I went to see my doctor and was diagnosed with depression. I also contacted an alcohol support service and made an appointment with them. These actions would be useful to be able to tell the magistrates about as they show he’s being proactive and taking responsibility for what happened.
***But bear in mind, any alcohol issues that are documented with the GP can be accessed by the DVLA when it comes to getting his license back***

When did this happen? What time of day was it? Where the boys injured? I crashed my car and was involved in an accident with another driver and very foolishly left the scene. It was late at night and no serious injuries. I was banned for 2 years and got 100 hours community service. So he might not get the book thrown at him.
Yes it isn't great what happened. He probably feels like the scum of the earth. I feel for you going through this too.
But he mustn’t let it destroy him. It could be a steep learning curve and the reason he turns his life around. You should take each day as it comes. Decide on whether to have a solicitor represent him at court. I did and I’m glad of it. He needs to get at least five character references. They don’t need to be from pillars of the community, just people he knows. They need to paint him as a very sorry, ashamed and remorseful person for whom this behaviour is totally out of character. It won’t hurt to mention that he’s going through a tough time mentally but wants to get better.
Whilst I waited for trial I went to see my doctor and was diagnosed with depression. I also contacted an alcohol support service and made an appointment with them. These actions would be useful to be able to tell the magistrates about as they show he’s being proactive and taking responsibility for what happened.
***But bear in mind, any alcohol issues that are documented with the GP can be accessed by the DVLA when it comes to getting his license back***
Thanks for the reply.
It was midday no one was injured, and the cars were parked that he hit.
He's very upset but has asked for help from the doctor, he was already receiving help for depression and anxiety. He's a good person and I know he can come back from this, it's getting him to believe it.
We just don't know what and when he Will be charged with, that's the worst part. Thanks for not judging.

You won’t get any judgement here so don’t worry. We are all in the same boat.
I can’t be 100% but I imagine he’d be prosecuted for drink driving and leaving the scene of an accident.
I don’t think he would also have a dangerous driving charge as the drink drive tops that. Someone else on here may be able to confirm for sure.
get him to read on here or even post his story. It certainly helped me in the early days and continues to help me now.

Make sure he seeking help right the way through this, he will come out of this and think wow look at me now, be patient with him this process will be exhausting but I promise you you will get there I did and many many more members on this forum have so your definitely not on your own ?

Really need to speak to a solicitor when he calms down and things will not seem so harsh.we have been there most on here. You would not believe the frame of mind some people come onto this kind place looking for some kind of advise going forward.

Thank you for everyone's reply. Just an update, he's spoken to a solicitor and he does seem a little calmer. Yesterday however he suffered a seizure and ended up in hospital, we think it was due to the stress. Whilst there he got some much needed mental health support and has been discharged, feeling much more positive. I'm so glad I found this forum and I will try and get him to come on himself. Thanks again

Thank you for everyone's reply. Just an update, he's spoken to a solicitor and he does seem a little calmer. Yesterday however he suffered a seizure and ended up in hospital, we think it was due to the stress. Whilst there he got some much needed mental health support and has been discharged, feeling much more positive. I'm so glad I found this forum and I will try and get him to come on himself. Thanks again
Honestly ella jane most of us have been in this situation and its no fun. This is why i still post and help on here (y)He will not get judged and will feel part of a friendly bunch if he does decide to share his side of things going forward. Good luck to you both cheers les

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off