Karma being served

Convicted Driver Insurance

Missbee

Established Member
So, my ex husband took great delight in torturing me over my drink drive ban. I've got my licence back now thankfully buuut he's just lost his licence for drink driving (thank you karma)
He's planning on keeping his car in his garage till he can drive again..but will his car be flagged as a drink driver for police? I know full well he will defo drink drive over the limit again most likely the morning after...and he's taken up weed again! Is it likely they will stop him again?

So, my ex husband took great delight in torturing me over my drink drive ban. I've got my licence back now thankfully buuut he's just lost his licence for drink driving (thank you karma)
He's planning on keeping his car in his garage till he can drive again..but will his car be flagged as a drink driver for police? I know full well he will defo drink drive over the limit again most likely the morning after...and he's taken up weed again! Is it likely they will stop him again?
Leave sleeping dogs lie missbee he is your ex for a reason. You have regained your own licence that is all that matters just move on from the past.

Leave sleeping dogs lie missbee he is your ex for a reason. You have regained your own licence that is all that matters just move on from the past.
I'm more concerned that if our children are in the car, will the police be more likely to pull him for random checks

I believe so.. but not sure how true this is!
1stly he's unlikely to be insured so it's a matter of time before he's pulled over.
2nd if you suspect he's either drink/drug driving you have a duty to protect your kids and report him.
Each an everyone here has endangered a life previous actions however the vast majority take it as a wake up call, if he's persistently or even once showing a disregard for the law and other passengers/road users you should do the right thing.

Yes, if it was his own car your ex-husband was arrested in, the police will put a PNC marker on that same vehicle for the duration of the ban or until the same vehicle changes ownership - he sells it and notifies the DVLA via the log book.

From your question about whether the police will stop ex-husband again - this is rather like asking how long is a piece of string. The police are extremely busy and the only way he will potentially get caught again is -

a) If he is randomly stopped for whatever reason and immediately the police clock he is a disqualified driver. He will be immediately arrested in this instance and the vehicle seized and impounded.

b) As he will be disqualified, his vehicle will not be insured and nor will it be taxed, if he has applied for a refund. There are ANPR (Automated Number Plate Recognition) cameras that flag up uninsured and untaxed vehicles, but these cameras are generally found on key road networks. If your ex-husband just drives 'locally' and knows where to avoid these cameras, he will probably go unnoticed.

c) If he is reported by an anonymous source, such as Joe Bloggs ringing Crime Stoppers. Intelligence will be created and referred to the dedicated traffic unit police, who have inbuilt ANPR cameras on board their police vehicles. They can potentially lie in wait for him to catch him out, but this depends on their downtime.

On top of that - does your ex-husband live in a residential area? Chances are if his neighbours know about his arrest and conviction, I don't know if he would be so brazen and stupid to drive his car in/out of his street in front of people who know he is banned!!!!

Forgive me for asking - how old are your children? Have they disclosed things to you about their father's activities?

CJ

Everyone seems to be under the assumption that Missbee has said her ex will drive again while banned.

She hasn't said that. She is asking about after the ban is over. He may well drink/drug drive again, but just because he has been banned does not automatically mean he will be continually pulled over. I have been banned twice and have never been stopped after I received my licence back.

Regarding the car reg being put on the PNC and regularly pulled over. I am not sure this is true. When I was banned my son continued to drive my car mainly locally and was never once pulled over for a check.

Regarding the car reg being put on the PNC and regularly pulled over. I am not sure this is true. When I was banned my son continued to drive my car mainly locally and was never once pulled over for a check.

It depends on the police making a referral to get the car updated on the PNC. Some police officers are quite robust with drink drivers, particularly if they are road traffic officers. I was unfortunate enough to be potted by a local beat bobby, who had previously served on the traffic unit.

My own vehicle was added with a marker post my arrest/conviction. I queried it with the police as I sold the vehicle two months into my ban. I was conscious it would impact on the sale/transfer of the vehicle.

I actually e-mailed the police officer who arrested me for clarity about this. I was reassured by him that the marker would simply get automatically removed when the DVLA updated the registered keeper details.

Again having a marker on the vehicle in this instance isn't necessarily a green light to be stopped everywhere. If your son has been using the car sensibly and driven passed a local police patrol who are non the wiser, there is not necessarily any reason they might check him or stop him.

CJ

He's not driving whilst banned. His car is sorn and in his garage.
My children are 10 8 and 6 and it was my 10year old that told me about the weed.
I've raised it with the school safe guarding officer as I don't feel able to confront my ex about it. He was abusive to me for 15 yrs.

I'm obviously worried about when he starts driving again.

I'm obviously worried about when he starts driving again.

Unfortunately, you have no control or influence over this when the time comes for him to legally drive. I would just make sure your children are not put in danger, but I would cross this bridge in the future.

CJ

Taking up weed is a dangerous game to play.

It may be magnificent in getting him (or anyone) off the grogg, but to drive on it is another illegal risk. Even if it’s only a toke or two of an evening. It remains detectable in your system for a lot longer than alcohol does. He needs to be fully aware of this when he takes to the road again.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off