Is it possible...

Convicted Driver Insurance

SillySausage123

Well Known Member
Is it possible to self-submit myself to a regular alcohol/drug dependency check with my GP?

I know I don't have any form of dependency on alcohol (nor drugs), I haven't drank in months and that's kind of how it's been for me for a while; just unfortunate that I've found myself in this situation.

I guess I'm thinking whether its necessary to submit myself to some form of documented procedure to prove the case; particularly for future applications of some sort?

Last edited:
If you have no ongoing issues ie misuse or dependency it would be a huge mistake to try that avenue to regaining your licence!
What is required regular talks with your own GP and possibly LFT tests if your HRO it's not meant to be complicated

Self submit yes but don't walk in there like your an alcoholic, simply explain to GP your intentions are regaining licence and you want support

To confirm this is not for regaining a license - I had a low reading so the lowest ban of 13 months, with the possibility of reducing it to 9 months via a the awareness course.

The purpose of 'self-admission' would be for employment/further educational purposes, also professional bodies particularly if I have to go to interviews to explain what has happened. I ask mainly as Im wondering if I could use it to showcase that I have no alcoholic dependencies at all; only that I'm abit stupid maybe...

Or am I shooting myself in the foot by disclosing it with my doctor...

Last edited:
Some perspective employers ask about a criminal record and some want to do a CRB check .. DD is A criminal conviction and would sometimes be needed to be declared depending on the job etc

Maybe I should be clearer - There are possible routes for me to go onto in the future; join a professional body or go onto further education (post-graduate) both of which because of this criminal conviction I would have to go through some sort of formal assessment (for postgraduate it wouldn't have to be declared after the 5 years)...

Now I'm wondering whether it's helpful to be pro-active and visit my GP regularly and submit myself to some sort of assessment knowing full well I'm not a heavy drinker or dependant on drugs (so the likelihood of me shooting myself in the foot in that respect would be low)... Whether it's even possible I don't know, particularly if you're not classed as HRO.

But my reasoning is that I could present it to a panel and say, I've been proactive and done this this and this.

Maybe I should be clearer - There are possible routes for me to go onto in the future; join a professional body or go onto further education (post-graduate) both of which because of this criminal conviction I would have to go through some sort of formal assessment (for postgraduate it wouldn't have to be declared after the 5 years)...

Now I'm wondering whether it's helpful to be pro-active and visit my GP regularly and submit myself to some sort of assessment knowing full well I'm not a heavy drinker or dependant on drugs (so the likelihood of me shooting myself in the foot in that respect would be low)... Whether it's even possible I don't know, particularly if you're not classed as HRO.

But my reasoning is that I could present it to a panel and say, I've been proactive and done this this and this.
I think in your case unlike most on here .. been proactive as you put it may well be to your detriment

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off