Is it possible for one single binge to affect CDT levels?

Convicted Driver Insurance

antihawk

Hi all,

I was charged on 26 May 2018 with drunk in charge, and my breathalyser reading was sufficiently high for it to qualify me for the HRO scheme.

My medical is coming up on 6 December, so in a few days. Between 26 May and yesterday I had not had a drop of alcohol apart from 10 units in mid-October. However, yesterday, I messed up royally and binged about 20 units, which is even more ridiculous considering that it was five days out from my medical.

My question is this: Is it possible for a single binge of around 20 units to elevate CDT levels? I can only imagine that my CDT levels had normalised since the 26 May, but could this single episode have pushed them up?

I am understandably very disappointed in myself, and do not want this mess-up to affect getting my license back. Any input or help would be appreciated.

If you have drunk very little since May then this one blip should not have an effect on your medical.
If you do get your licence back, you will have to be careful the day after you binge 20 units in future......
Out of interest, what was your ban and your reading if you are now doing your medical after a conviction in May 2018?

If you have drunk very little since May then this one blip should not have an effect on your medical.
If you do get your licence back, you will have to be careful the day after you binge 20 units in future......
Out of interest, what was your ban and your reading if you are now doing your medical after a conviction in May 2018?

Thank you for the reply! From my research on CDT tests, it suggests that levels don't elevate after one acute binge.

My reading was 126 and drunk in charge. Due to mitigating factors, I was disqualified for two months, rather than the usual six to twelve months for drunk in charge. That meant that my ban technically ended on 9 August (the conviction was on 9 June; the incident was on 26 May).

But the process has taken much longer. The DVLA wrote to my GP initially, then the GP took four weeks to respond. The DVLA two weeks later decided to write to my GP again, who then took another four weeks to respond. Only two weeks ago did the DVLA notify me to book a medical.

So, the two-month ban has turned into an over six-month ban.

Thanks for the response again.

That is a strange outcome! The guidelines for drunk in charge are a 6 months ban, upwards, but there is the discretion to awards points and no ban. If the mitigation was that good, they could have opted for points only. I cannot recollect ever seeing a 2 month ban when I was in the Police but that length means that there is no option of a DDRS course so I would not come across it these days.

That is a strange outcome! The guidelines for drunk in charge are a 6 months ban, upwards, but there is the discretion to awards points and no ban. If the mitigation was that good, they could have opted for points only. I cannot recollect ever seeing a 2 month ban when I was in the Police but that length means that there is no option of a DDRS course so I would not come across it these days.

It was strange, indeed. My solicitor reckoned two of the magistrates were inclined to give me 10 points, but one was holding out and wanted to ban me for six months. So they used two months as a middle ground.

Sorry, another clarification. I have been reading other threads about CDT levels, and some people have reported that a one-off binge can potentially raise CDT levels. Bear in mind, this was five days before my medical, so I wouldn't have been allowed the 14 days for it to halve its value. I happened upon posts from yourself stating that a binge of eight or more units can potentially raise CDT levels. Understandably, I am concerned that this 20 units could have raised mine. Although the binge is within a context of practically zero drinking since May. When you say it should not have an effect on my medical, do you mean that it is likely to have raised my CDT levels, but just not enough to go outside the Green Zone?

Sorry, another clarification. I have been reading other threads about CDT levels, and some people have reported that a one-off binge can potentially raise CDT levels. Bear in mind, this was five days before my medical, so I wouldn't have been allowed the 14 days for it to halve its value. I happened upon posts from yourself stating that a binge of eight or more units can potentially raise CDT levels. Understandably, I am concerned that this 20 units could have raised mine. Although the binge is within a context of practically zero drinking since May. When you say it should not have an effect on my medical, do you mean that it is likely to have raised my CDT levels, but just not enough to go outside the Green Zone?
Did you get your licence back what was your CDT score I drank 5 pints 4 days before medical very worried now

20 units will have no reflect on your CDT levels from a very low baseline!
However someone with a high baseline stops drinking for 14 days then consumes 20 units could potentially cause a spike.

20 units will have no reflect on your CDT levels from a very low baseline!
However someone with a high baseline stops drinking for 14 days then consumes 20 units could potentially cause a spike.
Hi I drink 5 pints in one occasion a month 5 pints each time, I drank in the 17/09/19 then again on the 4/10/19 my medical was 8/10/19

Very worried about this

It will be what it will be no real point stressing Chelsea! However I doubt you would rise above 1.5

Web researched
Can CDT levels be increased by intermittent drinking?
Intermittent or “binge” drinking can increase CDT levels. The extent to which this
occurs is dependent on the frequency of “binges” and the amount of alcohol
consumed on each occasion. Someone drinking 200-300 g alcohol two days a
week, but abstaining on the other days, could have a CDT level of 1.5-3%.
Conversely, someone who only has one “binge” in a 14 day period and does not
consume alcohol for the rest of the time period is unlikely to have a raised CDT, as
the normal transferrin produced on the other 13 days would ‘dilute’ the CDT
produced on the day of drinking.

Hi is that saying then that 200 to 300 grams would need to be consumed in one night for it to peak the CDT .. I only consumed 112 grams it was actually 8 cans of 440ml fosters total of 14.4 units which adds up to 5 pints

You have to also remember CDT research was done on continues drinking your not even close to that category#
However as soon you mention you have drunk more than 14 units per week within a day the dvla are going loopers (dvla like declaration)especially if you say regular even once a month!
It's a system with tick boxes don't get on the wrong side of the box

You have to also remember CDT research was done on continues drinking your not even close to that category#
However as soon you mention you have drunk more than 14 units per week within a day the dvla are going loopers especially if you say regular even once a month!
It's a system with tick boxes don't get on the wrong side of the box
At the medical he asked when my last drink was I said Friday the 4th I said 5 drinks and he put 10 units on the sheet should of been 14. He also asked how often I drink over 6 drinks in one sitting I said never my limit is 5. Could they ban me because of this thanks for your reply

Your perfectly fine I've been here almost 11 years seen some major posts( although I cannot guarantee) am 99% sure your medical will be fine from the information you provided

At the medical he asked when my last drink was I said Friday the 4th I said 5 drinks and he put 10 units on the sheet should of been 14. He also asked how often I drink over 6 drinks in one sitting I said never my limit is 5. Could they ban me because of this thanks for your reply
No you answer correctly x

Hi guys I usually drink a bottle of gin on Fridays with a friend I last had a drink 29th September my medical is booked for the 18 November I’ve been drinking green tea everyday with ginger lemon and honey and the honey is raw from the hive! Also taking zinc tablets daily and dandelion root liquid do you think my cdt levels will be normal I’m 33 5”9 and 11 and a half stone? TIA

11.5 stone atleast the walking will do you good lol
Am going to say your in deep trouble double it 3 miles just for punishment!

However your doing great and will be perfectly fine

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off