insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

ellen1

Hi all, could you please tell me what is the best insurance to apply with this conviction. I've heard that people actually even get better deals then before without the conviction. so where do I look? i haven't got the car yet, but i know what i am going to buy, how and whom do i approach for the inssurance?

Ellen,
a good place to start is the back of the yellow book you were given at the end of your course, there are a few brokers listed that do good offers for drink drivers who have completed a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course. Ask your old insurance company first, that will give you a benchmark as to how much it has gone up by.
you do not get cheaper insurance with a drink drive ban, unless other factors come into play. A 19 year old, in their first year driving, pays a fortune. After a 2 year ban, however, that get a reduction for being 21, plus the system rates them as having 3 years driving experience, even though they have been banned for 2 years, and they keep their 1 years no claims bonus. Other than that, like for like, you can expect your premiums to go up by 40% or more.

I do not want to get in touch with my old insurance, I am too scared. Somehow they paid me the full price for the car, and now other people are saying, maybe they shouldn't have paid it. I don't know, they just didn't ask the questions, they just paid. I've heard, that insurance doesn't pay if you are convicted., but maybe my does, but i am to worried. also my noclaim has been protected, but obviously there was a claim, how does it work out. I tried to find a quote, but i am so confused. they asking how many points are on the licence, but I don't know, i understand if licence taken away, how do they add points? I just have no licence, not a licence with points. I am just so confused right now, it really upsets me, all so difficult to cope with...

Ellen,
One step at a time!
when you look for insurance online, you will be asked how much no claims you have. As it was protected, you can say the full amount you had before, it will be on the renewal from the old company, or on the closure paperwork if you cancelled it. You can opt for protected no claims if you want with the new policy. No claims will normally carry forward for 2 years, but some companies will look at 3 years.
you will be asked about any claims you have made, and you will then disclose the accident and the cost of the claim.
you are then asked about points on your licence, you can say you have none, as drink driving carries no points, just a straight ban.
Next is any disqualifications, this is where you declare the drink drive conviction. They will ask for the offence code, which for a straightforward drink drive is DR10, followed by the reading in breath or blood, then finally the length of your ban. Here you quote the length of the ban you are actually serving, after the drink drive course, NOT what you were originally given at court.
the alternative is to give all your details to an insurance broker and let them do the searching for you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off