Insurance - Reduced Declaration Period as Spent Offence

Convicted Driver Insurance

dispotrap

Hi there, any advice you can offer on the following would be greatly appreciated.

I was convicted at age seventeen of DR30 Driving or attempting to drive then failing to supply a specimen for analysis and sentenced to a 16-month driving ban expiring on 12/08/2022 reduced to 22/04/2022 upon completion of a course (which I did complete and return to the court). I was also fined £250.00 which I paid in full.

A massively inconvenient, expensive and dangerous lapse in judgement I will never repeat - I have learnt my lesson!

My question is, that as I was under 18 at the time of conviction (and at the time of the offence) I read here that my age means my endorsement is 'spent' after 2.5 years as opposed to the standard 5 years due to the reduced rehabilitation period.

Additionally I read here that I did not need to declare 'spent' convictions to an insurer. As I was under 18 at the time of conviction and 2.5 years has now lapsed from the conviction date, does this mean I do not need to declare this to an insurer?

Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.

It is a very tricky area.

Regardless of the conviction being spent, an offence such as this stays upon your licence for 11 years, and it is usually this what the insurance company is asking. Once they have your details, they will have access to your licence, I believe, and from this, they will know about the conviction. I must point out that I am not an insurance lawyer, so what powers they have I do not know, but I can tell you it is on your licence so leaving it off could end up being difficult further down the line for you.

If in doubt, call the company anonymously and ask them for the information and see what they say.

Good luck.

Martin.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off