Insurance is £700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

Convicted Driver Insurance
My insurance quote research suggests my new insurance will rise by 40 odd percent which I feel isn't that unfair in the circumstances. There cannot be any viable or feasible reasoning that insurance will not go up by a significant percentage given the severity of a drink driving conviction in relation to driving.

I am a 22 year old male just finished a 2 year ban with a reading of 94mg. Before my ban I was paying £2000 a year for a 1.4litre corsa. Now with the dr10 my quotes are coming out at £1100 for a similar car.

Bensaminge,
The drink drive conviction will have increased your premium. You have to look at what else has changed though..... before you were caught drink driving, you had insurance on a 1.4 Corsa as a 19-20 year old, with limited driving experience.
Now you are having insurance as a 22 year old with, perhaps, 4 years driving experience. (it still counts as experience, strangely, even though you were banned) With a 2 year ban, they will probably recognise your previous insurance for no claims purposes,
If you have used a comparison website, try putting in the details that you had before your ban, (age, experience, car type etc) then add a DR 10 with a 2 year ban and see what happens then to your quote. Or put it the other way.... take out the DR10 from your current quote and see what it falls to. That will give you a measure of what the conviction is costing you.

Would you care to share the names of these insurance companies you and your friend(s) use that offer no increase to premuims (within the first 5 years) after a DR10 drink driving conviction?

As this is a drink driving website such information would be priceless to many visitors. They could also be linked to the 'convicted driver insurance' section.

I would also be interested to do some comparison quotes with them.

Hi folks, i'm with ig04 (currently banned but adjusted the policy so i can still park my on the road with no entitlement to drive as i've been banned for 9 months) and this year i paid 654. This is higher than it could have been as it's paid on monthly instalments and i never did a comparison last year and took a £60 increase because I was too lazy.

Doing a speculative insurance quote with comparethemarket for insurance beginning a fortnight after my ban ends (9/10/17) the cheapest is tesco at £539. My insurance has in fact gone down with a D30. It probably wouldnt have worked out cheaper if i had the cheapest possible policy thus last year.

The cheapest my insurance ever was was with tesco in 2015, at £490. This was when i used to pay the policy in one go rather than monthly.

I'm 27, male, no points, 6 years NC, city postcode, drive 9000 miles a year and own a 2010 1.4 astra.

I don’t think it has gone down because of the DR10,try amending your details in comparethemarket to take OUT the DR10 and you will see that it is less that it is WITH the Dr10.....

I’ve just put all my details in with DR10 etc and only gone up £75 from what I was paying 18months ago, quite happy tbh

I just done a few quotes since I have only got a month left of my 20 month ban.

I bought an MG ZR 1.4 3 door last year (brother has been driving it till my ban is up, Honest!).

I done a quote on an insurance comparison site with and without my DR10, and without it, my insurance would be £1700, but adding the DR10, the cheapest quote is just over £1000. I rechecked everything but the same quotes come up. The cheapest in both instances is the same company, but the next 3 companies also show a big reduction.

This is amazing since my insurance before my ban was the same.

Why is it that having a DD conviction is making my insurance drop so much? Less chance of re offending?

Hi
guys I need help my ban will end in 2 weeks I check on my insurance calculation and is show as well my insurance cheaper than before ban by £300 but my question is as I was driving for 6 years I had 6 years NCB I gonna lose all 6 years NCB? Because I had accident as well I hitt in parked car itI had colision and my car was writen off and end up on crap yard because the repaor of tires shoulder was too expensive I was not injured as I was driving very slow the owner of hited car report claim to my insurance polici and I had to pay full year of premium wich I make by instalkment and lay by today but the question is I lost all 5 or 6 years of NCB ? because if I write in insurance calculator that I have 0 NCB because of ban and accident my insurance is higer by £2200 but when I write my 6 years NCB than the insurance come cheaper it is £800 without NCB £3000 so I have no idea wich ones is right because I do not want to have problem with insurer for false imformation because that can cost me another points on my licence I am on DR10 sorry for my writing I am from Spain.

Hi
guys I need help my ban will end in 2 weeks I check on my insurance calculation and is show as well my insurance cheaper than before ban by £300 but my question is as I was driving for 6 years I had 6 years NCB I gonna lose all 6 years NCB? Because I had accident as well I hitt in parked car itI had colision and my car was writen off and end up on crap yard because the repaor of tires shoulder was too expensive I was not injured as I was driving very slow the owner of hited car report claim to my insurance polici and I had to pay full year of premium wich I make by instalkment and lay by today but the question is I lost all 5 or 6 years of NCB ? because if I write in insurance calculator that I have 0 NCB because of ban and accident my insurance is higer by £2200 but when I write my 6 years NCB than the insurance come cheaper it is £800 without NCB £3000 so I have no idea wich ones is right because I do not want to have problem with insurer for false imformation because that can cost me another points on my licence I am on DR10 sorry for my writing I am from Spain.

The best people to contact regarding this is the insurer you were insured with when you made the claim, they will be the ones who provide you (or a new insurer) with evidence of your NCB.

Hi there,

My ban is up shortly so I have just contacted my original insurer (Sheilas wheels) who, at the time of telling them I had been disqualified for being drunk in charge of a vehicle for 6 months, had said it would be ok when insuring after the ban, now they say they cant insure me as it is treated as a new policy and not within their underwriting policy..that is fine..

I therefore clicked the link from this site and was called back by a helpful lady from Think, she went away and came back with cover for me as follows:
I have 16 years no claims bonus, I am 45, female and drive no more than 6000 miles a year... I have a Mercedes CLC 180 sports coupe...
The initial cost was £371 per annum, I was paying £299 previously but unbeknown to me my old policy didn't cover me for business use and although I am based from home I go out and see clients sometimes... so I asked the lady to requote to include this..
The premium came back at £367 with Aviva... DR40 drunk in charge code......
This is fully comp with an excess of £350 though, legal cover, windscreen, courtesy car, fully comp whilst my old policy was £299. Another Company via here quoted £400.

I have therefore started the policy in readiness and already have my certificate of insurance. I liked dealing with Think they were very helpful.
Moodle
Who are Think please? I need to sort insurance in the next couple of months when I get my license back. I had 20 years no claims previously!

This does of course open up a real can of worms. Some people hide convictions to secure themselves a lower quote. What if we now see millions of drivers with spotlessly clean licences making up Drink Drive convictions to save on their premiums. Would these people be hammered (no pun intended, obviously, because they drink presumably in moderation !) if they later had an accident and were found to have phantom convictions. Would they be told "it's people like you with clean licences pretending otherwise who get drivers a bad name". Certainly one to ponder isn't it
My insurance has gone down with DD conviction

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off