Insurance Cancelled - Having to Pay Insurance Company After They Have Paid Out To 3rd Party

Convicted Driver Insurance

TedM

I committed a drink driving offence in spring 2021. There was damage done to someone's property as a result (around 4 fencing panels and lawn), and subsequently my car insurance was cancelled.

I received my conviction in summer 2021 (24 month ban reduced to 18 months). I have been on the road again for a while now, however I have just received 'the bill' from my insurance company for the payout to the 3rd party (property owner). This is over 2.5 years since the incident date, which seems like a very long time for them to get back in touch with me.

The value is £25K, which I am being asked to pay back. The damage done (along with legal fees I imagine) in my eyes does not fit a figure anywhere near this, a 3rd of the cost at most. I have asked for a cost breakdown.

Can you please offer me some advice on how to handle this? I take onboard that costs need to be recouped, but this seems excessive, and frankly unaffordable.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off