I'm scared.

Convicted Driver Insurance

briggs

I got stopped last night for drink driving - I was taken to the police station and my breath test was 96. I am now worried as I live on my own and can't really afford legal representation and I don't think Scottish Legal Aid can help me. My court date is the 12th of November - what should I expect?

It was a stupid mistake I made, I'd had too much and wasn't thinking rationally. And now my life is over.

Mate,
Firtsly your life is not over!! I know it feels that way but it aint I had just started a new business when I got done and my Business Partner and I have managed to get through it, you will find out who your true mates are.

You are alive and you are hopefully not injured and have not hurt or killed anyone so you will be banned for a while and hopefully be offered the course to reduce the ban.

Chin up mate, we have all been through it here.

FO

I would advise you to contact the Scottish Law Society in order to obtain advice as to whether or not legal aid is available for you.

I got stopped last night for drink driving - I was taken to the police station and my breath test was 96. I am now worried as I live on my own and can't really afford legal representation and I don't think Scottish Legal Aid can help me. My court date is the 12th of November - what should I expect?

It was a stupid mistake I made, I'd had too much and wasn't thinking rationally. And now my life is over.

Foolish one is correct, while it may seem your life is over, it really is not. You will have to adapt to life without your own vehicle for a while, it may be a struggle, but it wont last forever. Many people have been in your situation and while it is a grim situation to be in, it certainly could be a lot worse.

Expect a disqualification from driving of between 23 and 28 months and a community service order as well as an opportunity to complete the drink driving rehabilitation course which can reduce your disqualification by up to 25%.

As sean suggests, it is worth contacting The Law Society of Scotland about exactly where you stand regarding legal aid, The Scottish Legal Aid Board may prove helpful too.

Let us know how you get on.

Trust me mate your life is not over. 100000 people like ourselves every year get a needless criminal record for 1 moment of stupidity. I know it is stressful and is horrible to got through at first, but believe me u will cope with a ban like we all have. I was banned for 17 months and i am currently 9 months into it. After the rehabilitaion course i will be getting my licence back after 13 months. Yes it is initially hard, but what u have to keep saying to yourself is that it could of been worse and at least no one was hurt. Let us know what happens mate. But believe me your life is not over, far from it. Chin up

You will get a two year ban, but will have the oppoprtunity to have the ban reduced by a quarter by taking the drink drive course. You will have to undertake community service, which will be 100 hours plus. Your fine will be based on your income. If you're unemployed you will pay court costs, £60. You will have to take a DVLA medical before they reissue you your full licence.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your helpful replies. I went to court today, saw a Duty Solicitor who had put my case to court. I've been ordered to re-appear at court on 11 December and in the meantime I've been put on a "social enquiry" which means I have to see a social worker who'll ask me more personal questions as to what happened that night and why I chose to drive while under the influence. That report will then go to the judge, where the sentence will be decided. To be honest I didn't expect this. Is it a good or a bad thing that the judge has ordered this?

Thanks

Is it similar to the probation reports that we have in England? If so they are the people who will really determine your sentence - so you really need to work with them and show them how out of character it was and remorseful you are.

I may be wrong in general; but certainly my experience was that the magistrates didn't really do a great deal of thinking for themselves. They didn't pay any attention when I told them about my mitigation. It was the probationer who compiled the report and made the recommendations for sentencing, based on the mitigation put forward later.

There is some info re: Social Enquiries in Scotland here.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2004/12/20474/49336

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off