I'm confused.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Simon4064

Hello I had to surrender my driving licence in March 2019 because I went for alcohol detox. (doctors didn't tell me I had to do this), would the effects of alcohol dependency be still in my body after this short amount of time of not drinking?

If you have been revoked for going into a detox center then the DVLA will class you as alcohol dependant and you will have to prove 1 year of sobriety through doctors records in order for them to issue you with a licence again. Have you made them aware and been revoked or are you asking on health grounds will the effects still be seen in your body? The CDT test that the DVLA use for their medical generally will give a normal reading after a few months of sobriety after dependence, normally it takes only a few weeks for CDT levels to return to normal in the case of a normal drinker, longer for those who have abused alcohol. If you have a liver problem such as fatty deposits, hep c or cirrhosis as a result of your alcohol use then this will also add to the time in which it will take for your CDT levels to return to normal. You can take a private CDT test for around £90 to see where you stand.

As Grice mentions your labeled dependant until you can prove otherwise and that's a minimum of 1year.
Pointless worrying about CDT levels this early just check in with your Doctor frequently and insist they take a blood checks from you although the doctors will not check for CDT but the results will speak for themselves
DVLA are getting much tougher on Licences recently so keep in touch.

Sadly the normal blood tests (Liver Function Tests/LFT's) will not in themselves make any difference whatsoever.

dvla only look for negative information, and couldn't care less where it comes from. Your doctors opinion outweighs a metric ton of normal blood tests, and are not interested in fairness/accuracy/credibility, just ticks in a box.

The only use regular blood tests will have is to convince your doctor that you are genuine, because it is their opinion that counts (even if they dont know what dependence is), not the LFT test results alone, and if your doctor can say you have had no problems and can tick that box, AND all the other boxes, AND your CDT test is good when dvla insist on it, then, and only then, you should be ok.

Just for information, a very severe alcoholic/dependant person that stinks of alcohol on a permanent basis can have normal liver function test results, yet a poor result can be used as "proof" of dependence by dvla if they find out about it, and reset the 1 year abstinence clock.

It's all just bollocks really.

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes I agree it's bollocks I feel the DVLA is flawed and doesn't really care. I managed to talk to the doctor yesterday that arranged detox. He said they go by ggt blood test results and only the DVLA use cdt blood test. I said to him there's no particular merit in using cdt blood tests in the medical profession really? and he'd agreed with me and I shouldn't have told the DVLA I been to detox. I admit I have had a few years of having problems and ended relying alcohol to cope I wasn't driving hardly at all because I know I wasn't fit to drive or even work. But I'm an idiot and too honest. But I have learnt the hard not way to be too honest because when you seek help the right way it gos against you. So basically screw it........

I hope things get better for you.

Thank you.

Do keep up with a gp though, it's whats on your medical record thats "proof" of abstinence.
GGT is the most sensitive and least specific of the LFT tests, just about anything can raise it (paracetemol for instance), so it sounds like your gp is not too well informed, not that I am surprised by this. If the gp is insisting that GGT is a measure of alcohol use, and is relying on this as an assessment tool, probably best to find a different gp.
Good luck.

If you keep a good honest relationship with you GP with or without local blood tests!your doing all you can#,
The local GP blood tests will not satisfy the DVLA as already posted! However during your own 1 years abstinence it's your GP that may require proof!
However! Many GP's are overworked and not really into DVLA regulations or rules and may just sign the all clear when the time comes!
It's your call your life and your GP, but no point being HRO dependant offender zero contact with Doctor then expecting a full licence from DVLA after a years gone

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off