Im becoming alchohol dependepent

Convicted Driver Insurance

AndyJG

Well Known Member
Before getting done for drink driving, i very rarely drank...but when i did every month or so, i had a right bucket....since lockdown and getting done, i find my alcohol consumption rapidly rising, to the extent im drinking everyday......obviously im suffering, from depression (horrible time looking after my mother and getting done).....but dont want to contact my doctor for obvious reasons......anybody else out there had the same problem, and if so.....is there help out there,that wont impact on your GPs report..?

Good advice from oneyearnobeer.
i realise that alcohol can be seen as an escape from depression, but it isn’t. Alcohol is a depressive drug, it doesn’t solve depression, it fuels it.

Great advice. People slag off AA as being a cult, but it isn't. It is whatever you want it to be. I went for a while and found comfort in just listening. There was no pressure to join in if you didn't want to, and listening to people's stories who were in similar situations to me gave me hope and helped me move on.

I would suggest looking at CBT as well Andy. You can do it privately, so the GP doesn't have to know anything. CBT helps you change your way of thinking, helping you to stop dwelling on the past and making you appreciate the here and now. You admitting your current issue is a great step. Good luck mate!

Andy

There is no shame in admitting and sharing your problems with alcohol, especially on this forum.

I've been clean for 15 months - but before and after my DD conviction, I was a mess. I was drinking around 8-10 cans of Heineken or San Miguel each day and maybe a litre of vodka.

I turned a corner last summer and thought to myself - 'enough!' I was fed up of feeling tired and dehydrated most of the time and I knew my long term health would suffer if I didn't put the brakes on ASAP.

The Covid situation has affected everyone mentally and its fair to say you are not on your own with the alcohol consumption. People who otherwise drink moderately, have been drinking everyday through the lockdown because of things like bordem and isolation. Supermarkets have revealed their sales figures for alcohol has increased dramatically since March and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know why.

Someone has mentioned AA - I am not sure if any meetings have taken place since March, I could he wrong about this. There were limited meetings done on Skype at one stage, but I don't think meetings of this nature should be done via video link, as it goes against the grain of being annonymous. The AA actually reported that abusive trolls were hacking into Skype.

Have you got any sort of support network with close family? Also, have you spoken to your GP?

What I would say about getting your driving licence back - do not worry about this now. The most important thing is getting yourself right again. If you are going to be off the road anyway for more than a year, then maybe try and set your stall out now. Reduce the drinking - have a couple of 'alcohol free' days each week to begin with. Then when you are ready, I would try and go 'dry' - only if you have good medical support and everything is documented by the GP.

Good luck.

CJ

R
Andy

There is no shame in admitting and sharing your problems with alcohol, especially on this forum.

I've been clean for 15 months - but before and after my DD conviction, I was a mess. I was drinking around 8-10 cans of Heineken or San Miguel each day and maybe a litre of vodka.

I turned a corner last summer and thought to myself - 'enough!' I was fed up of feeling tired and dehydrated most of the time and I knew my long term health would suffer if I didn't put the brakes on ASAP.

The Covid situation has affected everyone mentally and its fair to say you are not on your own with the alcohol consumption. People who otherwise drink moderately, have been drinking everyday through the lockdown because of things like bordem and isolation. Supermarkets have revealed their sales figures for alcohol has increased dramatically since March and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know why.

Someone has mentioned AA - I am not sure if any meetings have taken place since March, I could he wrong about this. There were limited meetings done on Skype at one stage, but I don't think meetings of this nature should be done via video link, as it goes against the grain of being annonymous. The AA actually reported that abusive trolls were hacking into Skype.

Have you got any sort of support network with close family? Also, have you spoken to your GP?

What I would say about getting your driving licence back - do not worry about this now. The most important thing is getting yourself right again. If you are going to be off the road anyway for more than a year, then maybe try and set your stall out now. Reduce the drinking - have a couple of 'alcohol free' days each week to begin with. Then when you are ready, I would try and go 'dry' - only if you have good medical support and everything is documented by the GP.

Good luck.

CJ
the other source of support is the Samaritans as someone to listen
Admitting you need help is the first step so well done as people have said AA - I think they may be providing telephone support but I am not sure
Good luck

Andy

C J 1980 is correct. Like you I developed a problem over an 8 year period starting when I was about 52 due mainly to pressure of work and using alcohol to self medicate for pain.

I have been banned twice since April 2016 and on the 24th July 2019 I went to my first AA meeting.

It took an effort and I'm still in physical pain but I haven't touched any alcohol for nearly 16 months and honestly, I don't miss it.

I can't tell you what to do or what's best for you, but AA is a great starting point.

It is not a cult, but for some people it seems to have become their entire lives. All their friends are there, they socialize with them etc. but AA is for you to use as you best see fit.

I wish you luck and get their national helpline number and call them.

Andy

C J 1980 is correct. Like you I developed a problem over an 8 year period starting when I was about 52 due mainly to pressure of work and using alcohol to self medicate for pain.

I have been banned twice since April 2016 and on the 24th July 2019 I went to my first AA meeting.

It took an effort and I'm still in physical pain but I haven't touched any alcohol for nearly 16 months and honestly, I don't miss it.

I can't tell you what to do or what's best for you, but AA is a great starting point.

It is not a cult, but for some people it seems to have become their entire lives. All their friends are there, they socialize with them etc. but AA is for you to use as you best see fit.

I wish you luck and get their national helpline number and call them.
Not something i could bring myself to share with others AA but i did have one to one counselling which was a massive help.

Not something i could bring myself to share with others AA but i did have one to one counselling which was a massive help.

The thing about AA is that you are under absolutely no pressure to share your story or problems with anyone else at the meeting. You can turn up, sit at the back, listen, and leave without talking to a single person if that is what you want to do.

Like you I also had counselling, but in my case I did not feel I gained any benefit from it. But we are all different and respond in different ways to a variety of situations. I found more benefit listening (and eventually talking to,) people that had gone and were going through the same struggles as myself.

Did I want to go to AA - no. Did I want to admit that I was powerless over alcohol - no. But with 2 DUI's in as many years, I realised that my life was beginning to spiral out of control purely because I had allowed alcohol to dominate my life.

I went along to my first meeting thinking I would be totally alone, would not know anyone and that no one else had ever gone through what I had. Yeh, right.

The very first person that walked over and shook my hand called me by my first name, said he was glad to see me and sat with me as I shook and rattled for the 2 hours of the meeting. I had known this person for years and had no idea has was an Alcoholic.

Since then I have met numerous people I know, some from my childhood, some from the same village I grew up in, some from my church, some I have met through work.

Is it embarrassing at first? Yes. Is it comforting to know that some of your acquaintances also have the same problems that you do? Yes.

Plus, you do not need to be an Alcoholic to attend meetings. All you need is a desire to cut down and/or control your drinking.

Sorry if I make AA sound like a miracle cure. It is if it works for you, but in your case you might also find the continued counselling will be of benefit.

And remember, it is called Anonymous for that reason. Even the Zoom meetings we are all having at present are anonymous as you can simply sit and listen with both your Camera and Microphone switched off.

If AndyJG wants to keep his licence when he gets it back then he will need to admit he has a problem and actively do something about it, especially as he is drinking every day. I discovered that the hard way after losing mine twice in 2 years. Well, what did I expect drinking between 3/4 and a full bottle of vodka every day (except when my system rebelled.)

However only he can decide if he has a problem. He can't be forced, bullied or pleaded with, it really does need to come from within.

Sorry about the ramble and I hope it does not sound too much like preaching.

AA National Helpline:- 0800 9177 650 or contact us by email: help@aamail.org

Evening

For me, you simply put in what you get out of AA. I don't go in for all the God stuff - I am not religious. I find it helps to simply go to a meeting and get stuff off your chest sometimes.

CJ

Evening

For me, you simply put in what you get out of AA. I don't go in for all the God stuff - I am not religious. I find it helps to simply go to a meeting and get stuff off your chest sometimes.

CJ

I agree with you. Although it's foundations are based on a Christian Faith ideology, there is no requirement to become involved in that side of things, just like there is no emphasis to do the 12 Step Programme.

I agree with you. Although it's foundations are based on a Christian Faith ideology, there is no requirement to become involved in that side of things, just like there is no emphasis to do the 12 Step Programme.

I think my last comment should have read 'you get out what you put in to AA!' - I think everyone knows what I meant.

The religious angle is not for everyone. I just don't believe in God - if there is someone up there looking out for humanity, why is he inflicting so much death and misery on us all with this rechid virus???

I genuinely find AA is like a social group of people who you have something in common with because of problems with alcohol.

I just wish Covid would disappear then at least I can enjoy an evening taking part in a meeting away from the confines of the house!!!

CJ

I think my last comment should have read 'you get out what you put in to AA!' - I think everyone knows what I meant.

The religious angle is not for everyone. I just don't believe in God - if there is someone up there looking out for humanity, why is he inflicting so much death and misery on us all with this rechid virus???

I genuinely find AA is like a social group of people who you have something in common with because of problems with alcohol.

I just wish Covid would disappear then at least I can enjoy an evening taking part in a meeting away from the confines of the house!!!

CJ

Amen to that. OOPS - we're also a funny sarcastic bunch. Or maybe that's just us Scots.

Thanks for all your replies...ive managed to stay alcohol free for the past week. Im not "rattling" at all just bit agitated....so im now just channelling myself into sorting the garden/house ready for the winter, ...lets hope it lasts...

Thanks for all your replies...ive managed to stay alcohol free for the past week. Im not "rattling" at all just bit agitated....so im now just channelling myself into sorting the garden/house ready for the winter, ...lets hope it lasts...

AndyJG I found that's the trick, as well as support from those around you. Change your routine. Don't go to the same places. Stick to the garden but don't neglect to see people. It does get better.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off