I was crashed drink driving 2 weeks ago. Waiting bloods.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Idiotic

First off. Im so ashamed at the position i have put myself in. I drank 14 cans of strongbow dark fruits but over a very long period of tike. 440ml @ (4%) so maybe 10 pints of 4% in total.... i have calculated this as 25 units over a period of many many hours from early afternoon that day until the late hours of the next morning (which made me feel fit to drive)

I started around 13:00pm on the Friday, and was blood tested on the early hours of Saturday morning 03:00am. So i had 25 units over 14 hours until my bloods were taken at the hospital (me crashing, into a wall is an aggrivating factor, nobody else involved)

Im 14 stone and around 5'10 tall.

I had to be taken to hospital due to airbags being deployed, so it was 3 hours between my last drink and bloods being taken. I could not be breathalisted as my main injury was to my lip.

Is there anyway i can calculate what my bloods will be based on me drinking over such a long period of time, would the early afternoon drinks have cleared my system at the same time as i continuted drinking.

I have sent off my own bloods and have up to 14 days to wait but the suspense is killing me.

Im a business owner and rely on my van to work, because the van is a write off and the uncertainty of putting another van on the road until the blood tests are back and buying / insuring another van, im now sat at home with zero earning and will shortly have to consider deregistering as self employed.

However if i am over, im over, i know they cannot sway from the guidelines. Im just fretting that i may be labled a high risk offended if the original alcohol wasnt clearing at the same time of consuming more.

I feel like ive ruined my life as my customers simply cannot wait up to 2 years for my return. I can barely leave the house that im so worried about the financial implications of this in the long run.

So back to my original questionm without any idea of a breath test. What would my expect blood tests be based on units, period consumed, height and bodyweight.

I felt completley sober upon giving my bloods. But i was in extreme shock, so is difficult to tell.

Can't give you any real sound advice because everyone is different, but I can tell you my experience. I'm 6 foot 1 and 15 and a half stone, I consumed 16 cans between 2pm and my crash at 1:30am and I blew 91 at the station. I know I drank 16 as I bought 18 and was drinking by myself at home and went to buy cigarettes when I crashed, when I got home the next day there was 2 left and 16 empties. As I blew a 91 this put me above the 87.5 threshold for high risk offender and as such I have to complete a medical when my bans up on the 14th of May (in NI your ban has to be up to do the medical as apposed to doing the medical before the ban finishes in England/Scotland/Wales)

That sounds similar in terms of weight / duration of consuming, and amount the of cans, although you are slightly bigger, but consumed a couple more cans that would likely put us onn level playing field. What was the percentage of the cans you were drinking? Did you feel sober whe you were tested? I felt completley sober as in walking in s straigbt line, fully aware of my surrounding not slurring words etc

I felt sober as a judge, the airbags deploying brought me straight back to reality but that's shock for you. I crashed right outside a hospital, the police asked me if I wanted to go to A&E or if was I okay and I said I was fine, which I was as I had no injuries. I was drinking cans of stout at 4.5% which is .5 of a percent less than dark fruits at 5%. Based on both of our stories im going to say that our readings are going to be quite similar once you get the results. I was on the drink driving awareness course and we all did a back calculation of the units we consumed and the time since we started drinking and my calculation was spot on at just under 3 times the limit of units, which translates correctly 3 times the limit is 105 and I blew 91

Dark fruits is 4% not 5% like original strongbow by the way. And i had 3 hours between last drink and bloods at hospital, and had less alcohol over all (but with a slightly lower bodyweight) i may well come under your reading somewhat because of this, but i wouldnt expect by much, but hopefully enough to be under high risk offender at least. What was your ban length if you dont mind me asking.

Im technically banned as of now. As much of my equipment was in the back and a write off, as was the van a write off, so have no funds to get back on the road...not that there woukd be much point for around 8 weeks (hopefully sooner rather than later) until mt court date. Such a mess. Never having even having half a shandy after this if even near my vehicle

Sorry mate you're right I was thinking of original strongbow, I've never had dark fruits and thought they would be the same. The time your blood was taken doesn't really matter because they do a forensic back calculation to the time of the crash and it's that calculation that determines your reading. Sentencing in Northern Ireland is much different, as I said I blew a 91 and was involved in a crash. I got a £200 fine and a 12 month ban which was reduced to 9 months with completion of the drink driving awareness course. I recently asked how I would have been dealt with in England and here was the response I got " 23-28 months for a reading of between 90-119, and the likelihood of a community penalty of anything up to 300 hours." We get much shorter bans and smaller fines/community orders in NI but we have to re-sit the driving test after the ban to get our full licence back. It's an extremely expensive lesson, I think most people who post on the forums would never think of going near even a mouthful again before getting into a car

Thatsba good result. Id rather s 9 month ban and retake test than 2 year ban and community service. Will just have to wait on the blood i sent in that they received on 25th april. So probably another week until i know a ballpark of how much i was over.

Yes I would much rather the system in NI, even if the medical takes around 8 weeks I'll still have my licence back and test done 11 months from my sentencing which is still shorter than the original ban of 12 months that I received. I hope things go well for you mate and you get a pleasant surprise with your blood results, maybe they won't do a back calc and you'll end up in one of the much lower sentencing brackets. Keep this post informed on how your court case goes mate

It would be infair not to report back, as received so much info from this site already. i will update with my own blood results (should be quicker than that of the police, should be within the next 7 days for my private bac results)

Just to update.

My independent bloods came back at 36mg/100ml blood (legal level is 80mg)

Wtf. How is this possible? When comparing to grice being a high risk offender, and consuming similar levels.

I have updated more info in a new thread if people could please go read.

So confused now.

Will the independent results be tested the same way as the police bloods? Consuming 25 units between 1pm and 3am would still leave around 10-12 units in you at the time of testing giving you lose an average of a unit an hour starting about an hour after your first drink's consumed. You could be an anomaly mate, if this is what your results come back as from the police you'll be laughing

I just dont understand.

I had 14 cans of 4% strongbow at 440ml (a 10 box + a 4 pack). Which is 1.8 units x 14 = 25.2 units total - starting 1:30 - 2:00pm, last drink

....Last drink 11:45pm. Tested at 03:00am.

Either i have a super human liver or these independent results are just plain wrong.

This has made it all the more worrying in a way, as surely a test being wrong is more the likely than me having a super human liver.

They sent me a full certificate of analysis of 36mg/100ml of blood, they included that as part of the 6mg reduction. I have the cert. Baffled.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off