I have charged as a drink driver and still did not say anything to my insurance, do they pay for damage I have done?

Convicted Driver Insurance

joe pasha

Well Known Member
So I went to court and got 17 driving disqualified.
My car is damaged badly due to hitting a traffic sign.
Does my insurance pay or not?
Also this accident happened 2 weeks ago and I still did not say anything to my insurance!
In court nobody mentioned about damaged o caused apart of my solicitor when reading out my defence mentiiond this.
I asked few friend and they said council already most definitely got in touch with my insurance and made a claim.
I’m confused now and don’t know what to do?
Please advise me

In February I could have 2 years no claim bonus, but all is gone after this isn’t?
Can I call my insurance and claim what happened to my car and also making injury claim which I had or with drink driving no solicitor can’t help me with this?

I would imagine that the police will have informed the council of who caused the damage and they may well make a claim against you, which you should pass on to your insurers.
You cannot claim for the damage to your car and fail to mention the material fact that you were over the limit. When you do that they will accept liability for the damage to the sign, but depending on what your policy says they may well then seek to recover that from you. They will almost certainly decline to cover your vehicle damage and definately will not compensate you for injuries that you inflicted on yourself when you crashed your car. If they did that, anyone short of a few quid would crash their car just to get some money!

well, 2 weeks passed been in court and got my court results as I mentioned above.
Today I called my insurance and asked them to cancel my policy, did not say why!
All I said I no longer driving a car and want to cancel my policy.
They did not said anything about the damaged caused by my car, I thought council or police already informed them.
So, policy is cancelled and I also I let DVLA know.
Am I now being in trouble in case council made delay to call my insurance and blah blah?
Does anyone think nobody will make a claim against me, is it possible?

The claim (if there is one made) is against you. It is up to you to decide if you want to pay it yourself, or if you want to pass it on to your insurance company. It does not matter if you have a policy with them now or not, it is about the insurance cover that you had at the time.
You may get an issue with your policy saying that you should notify them promptly in the event of an accident, but they would still have an obligation to provide basic third party cover. If, however, you have a policy with a member of the Admiral Group (which is not just Admiral) they they usually seek to recover any payouts they have to make from the driver, where drink driving is involved.

So, what do you think? Shall I wait now if there is any claim made against me by council or I go to local council tell them before getting worse?

Well if you have caused damage to property, I suppose the correct answer is that you should approach the owner of the property to admit to causing damage and offer to pay.
Having said that, it would not be too unreasonable to think that as the police were involved, that the owner of the property would have been informed by them. Perhaps awaiting the council approaching you could be the least costly way forward.

So, what do you think? Shall I wait now if there is any claim made against me by council or I go to local council tell them before getting worse?

In my incident, I trashed a traffic island.

I allowed my insurance to lapse a few months later and just did not renew in order to preserve the no claims and nobody informed my insurance of anything and the council did not attempt to recover damages from my insurer or myself.

I did enquire about whether they would to a friend of a friend who is a solicitor and they said it would be unlikely.

Don't go contacting the council, your insurer or anybody - It is not up to you to help them chase you for money (or to make them start chasing you).

Well, thanks fir everyone advice in this case.
I leave it as it is and hopefully everything will be fine

Insurance law changed several years ago so that you only need to answer the questions they ask you. I think the best thing to do would be to check your policy documents and see if you were required to tell them of any convictions immediately, or on renewal.

I think the problem you might potentially have is that you have presumably obtained a refund for the remainder of your insurance policy. If the council do put in a claim your insurance company will probably see the attempt to get a refund as insurance fraud.

If you didn't get a refund, or as is quite likely the council aren't organised enough to claim, then it is less of an issue.

I have called my insurance yesterday and cancelled the policy.
They also refunded small amount of £40
So, now only the thing is left is the council

whether they are going to make a claim against me or not!
Does anyone think they will forget this damaged I caused or it is gonna take a time and I have to pay them one day!
Let me be more clear, I hit the bollard similar to this photo

Attachments

• 2D30A262-4796-4120-A3B8-62151B560521.jpeg
    2D30A262-4796-4120-A3B8-62151B560521.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 1
If you received a refund my advice would be to call them and explain that an accident occurred - which you are obliged to do - and if your policy obliges you to tell them about the conviction.

No-one on here should be advising you otherwise because insurance fraud is a criminal offence, as is inciting someone to commit a criminal offence.

Insurance companies have shared fraud databases. If you don't disclose you are risking being uninsurable with fraud and DD for the sake of £40. If the council don't claim - which is probably odds on - then that will be the end of it.

I can't stress enough because you have received money this isn't a game any more.

Why are you calling the council? Have you been ordered to pay for the repairs? If the answer is no, then do not contact the council, and no you will not be be chased at a later date. I wasn't after hitting the same thing.

Insurance law changed several years ago so that you only need to answer the questions they ask you. I think the best thing to do would be to check your policy documents and see if you were required to tell them of any convictions immediately, or on renewal.

I think the problem you might potentially have is that you have presumably obtained a refund for the remainder of your insurance policy. If the council do put in a claim your insurance company will probably see the attempt to get a refund as insurance fraud.

If you didn't get a refund, or as is quite likely the council aren't organised enough to claim, then it is less of an issue.

How would receiving a refund as opposed to not when cancelling make a difference?

Why are you calling the council? Have you been ordered to pay for the repairs? If the answer is no, then do not contact the council, and no you will not be be chased at a later date. I wasn't after hitting the same thing.
That’s what I thought. Is me only because I have never been in trouble with law before and I was worry so much.
I know now I got criminal record but nothing I can do with this apart of remember this stupid mistake for my whole life!
So I have spoken with few friends and they said no don’t do nothing because you were drunk and can’t remember anything unless judge in court mentioned this and I must pay.
Anyway, if anything come up later onI can say I can’t remember anything I was drunk and did not do this purposely!

This is the advice on Moneysupermarket.com:

Can I cancel my car insurance if I've made a claim?

You should be able to cancel your car insurance even if you've made a claim on the policy, but you will be required to pay the whole policy price in full.
This means you won't get any refund if you've paid up front, and if you pay monthly you'll have to pay for any remaining cover as one lump sum.

That is what I understood. You only get a refund if you have not made a claim. In your case you had not actually made a claim when you cancelled. You could not really say that you were not aware of a likely claim when you cancelled, and I think you may find that they put some sort of note on the Motor Insurers Database if you were to subsequently make a claim.
Of course you could simply pay the council bill yourself if they do contact you about it, then there has been no claim.....

Thanks price.
Here another question I got.
After my ban how much my Insurance gonna be?
I was paying £81 per month 1.2 reg 2006
I am just wondering what life gonna be after my ban?
How much it will go up?
I have heard nobody give will let you hire a car, is it same with abroad?

Many thanks fir your advice

You can generally find that your premium goes up by 40%, but that is if nothing has changed. For example you can reduce this by buying a different, smaller car, you will be treated as having longer experience (which is silly because you have been banned, but they ask ‘when did you get a licence to drive?’) and you may have tripped an age bracket while banned that reduces you premium. You keep your no claims discount for 2 years from the last p9icy expiring.

The big hire companies all say they will not hire a car to someone with a drink drive conviction for 5 years, so you will get no luck I; the UK. Abroad, however, they just seem to be interested in scanning your driving licence and taking your money. I have driven a hire car in France, USA and South Africa and have never been asked for the DVLA code you are supposed to have for a licence check. In many countries the concept of points in an unknown concept.

I would advise you, though, to check that the paoerwork that you are signing does not state that you are confirming that you have no convictions or disqualifications, because if you sign that you may well invalidate the insurance.

How would receiving a refund as opposed to not when cancelling make a difference?
Because your policy will almost certainly require you to inform them of anything that could cause a claim.

As has been said, if there is a claim on your policy the insurance company won't refund any premium. If you could call and ask for a refund in between an accident occuring and a claim being made, then anyone could call their insurance company after an at fault accident and ask for a refund before the third party made a claim.

It may be legally they can't do anything to recover the refund but as @price1367 if they put a fraud marker on the MID database you're hardly better off.

Nurse and everyone I would like to make this clear.
So, obviously I was drunk and can’t remember anything.
Court given me a fine and driving ban and didn’t say anything about damaged I have done I must pay for this or asking me to contact insurance company for repairs that bollard!
And what I did was just call my insurance with asking them tonreplai my car.
My insurance left only 1 month to end which if I had it would be until February 17.
So, I have asked them to cancel and did. It say anything which I don’t think was necessary for them to know!
Because neither I or council made claim.
I had choice to cancel and i did it.
They took 50-60 quid cancellation fee and £35 refund.
Now does anyone think I am still a guilty?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off