I feel like I may have ruined everything

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi,
Been reading alot of posts on here, and I am really worried whats going to hapoen. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.
So my story, I had a few gins on Sunday night, as i was literally going to bed i had a phone call off a friend in distress. Not thinking twice i jumped out of bed to go get them, i felt fine at the time (but dont we always) . On my way I crashed, i was fine but my car was in a pretty bad way at 3.00am the police were called, i blew 0.70 on the roadside bresthalyzer, so was arrested. At the police station the breathaylzer wouldnt work so because of my crash and not getting a reading i was taking to A&e, anyway after alot waiting i had bloods taken, around 5.00am. Went back to the police station were i took another bresthalyzer and blew 75! So spent the rest of the time in a cell until i blew under the limit at 12.30pm.
I was completely cooperative (except for being really upset). They took my mug shot but not finger prints which i thought was strange. Ive never had any other problems with the law!
I have told my employer that i was in a crash but was too scared to tell them I got arrested. Ive just got a new job and i had a dbs check, but dont know if i will have another one in the future. I work in HR. I have come to terms with the fact i am getting a ban and a hefty fine. Although my main worry is losing my job, im also trying to buy a house for the first time. So feel lile everythings over before its even began. I am okay some days but other times i cant stop thinking about it. The wait for knowing what happens next is terrifying.
Thanks for reading

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find what you're looking for on here. In regards to your job, the sooner you tell your employer the better. It will sound a lot better coming from you than the possibility of your case appearing in the courts section of a local newspaper.

Especially with journalists jumping on the whole "lockdown drink driver" angle that's been appearing in my local paper these last 2 months. There's no guarantee you will end up in the press, but the press are usually always present at court and if it's a slow day in court with nothing big happening they'll run the smaller cases in the courts section. More often than not on the forum we have seen employers being fair, I think I've only ever seen one person posting here who was terminated and that was because their job required them to drive. Honesty is the best policy especially in a position where in a year or 2 they might re-up your DBS.

Being honest is best, and yes you can end up in the paper, which is hard as well. You will find out who your true friends are. Telling work is a good move, I told work immediately & they were fab, When I hit the press one “colleague “ rushed to tell the boss saying how concerned he was for me - total bull as he has not spoken to me since
This forum is really supportive especially as you prep for court etc we have all been in your shoes & it does get easier. You get used to public transport & will be surprised who offers lifts.

Hi,
Been reading alot of posts on here, and I am really worried whats going to hapoen. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.
So my story, I had a few gins on Sunday night, as i was literally going to bed i had a phone call off a friend in distress. Not thinking twice i jumped out of bed to go get them, i felt fine at the time (but dont we always) . On my way I crashed, i was fine but my car was in a pretty bad way at 3.00am the police were called, i blew 0.70 on the roadside bresthalyzer, so was arrested. At the police station the breathaylzer wouldnt work so because of my crash and not getting a reading i was taking to A&e, anyway after alot waiting i had bloods taken, around 5.00am. Went back to the police station were i took another bresthalyzer and blew 75! So spent the rest of the time in a cell until i blew under the limit at 12.30pm.
I was completely cooperative (except for being really upset). They took my mug shot but not finger prints which i thought was strange. Ive never had any other problems with the law!
I have told my employer that i was in a crash but was too scared to tell them I got arrested. Ive just got a new job and i had a dbs check, but dont know if i will have another one in the future. I work in HR. I have come to terms with the fact i am getting a ban and a hefty fine. Although my main worry is losing my job, im also trying to buy a house for the first time. So feel lile everythings over before its even began. I am okay some days but other times i cant stop thinking about it. The wait for knowing what happens next is terrifying.
Thanks for reading

Hi Regrettable Mistake,

Welcome to the forum - I really feel for you and completely understand the situation that you find yourself in. You will find that your memories of the incident will fade relatively quickly so the pain and embarrassment will be short-lived. It's good that you've come clean with work and they are supporting you - there's really no other feeling like coming into work fearing that you are going to lose your job!

As you didn't make it clear in your original post whether or not you've actually been charged yet, just to put your mind at ease (there are probably a million and one things going through your head right now) if you haven't been charged then you will more than likely be charged with drink driving and get a date to appear in court. If you're found guilty then you're looking at a ban between 17 and 22 months and a Band C fine (I think this is x1.5 your weekly income) or a low level community order. Given the fact that you crashed your car and this is considered an aggravating factor, this might push the ban up to the higher end of the bracket so unless you're really confident in your ability to defend yourself and make emphasis on the mitigating factors such as full cooperation with the Police, then you might want to look at getting a solicitor to represent you but this is entirely your choice (I personally wouldn't bother but they do have their merits). You are lucky that your reading was below 82.5 as this would have pushed you into the HRO category which would have meant you would need to go through the DVLA medical once you're eligible to apply for you license to be returned.

If you do receive a ban and lose you license, I would really recommend getting a bike and start cycling. Back when I was disqualified, it was honestly the best thing I ever did as I became a lot fitter than I was (I had no other choice but to cycle to places!) and have subsequently carried on with it and now participate in a few races around where I live.

The biggest thing now is to really accept what has happened and that you can't go back and change things - I didn't accept what had happened for a long time after I was disqualified but when I did accept things and moved on, then life felt a lot easier to get on with!

If you need any help, please feel free to give me a private message!

MM

Hi Regrettable Mistake,

Welcome to the forum - I really feel for you and completely understand the situation that you find yourself in. You will find that your memories of the incident will fade relatively quickly so the pain and embarrassment will be short-lived. It's good that you've come clean with work and they are supporting you - there's really no other feeling like coming into work fearing that you are going to lose your job!

As you didn't make it clear in your original post whether or not you've actually been charged yet, just to put your mind at ease (there are probably a million and one things going through your head right now) if you haven't been charged then you will more than likely be charged with drink driving and get a date to appear in court. If you're found guilty then you're looking at a ban between 17 and 22 months and a Band C fine (I think this is x1.5 your weekly income) or a low level community order. Given the fact that you crashed your car and this is considered an aggravating factor, this might push the ban up to the higher end of the bracket so unless you're really confident in your ability to defend yourself and make emphasis on the mitigating factors such as full cooperation with the Police, then you might want to look at getting a solicitor to represent you but this is entirely your choice (I personally wouldn't bother but they do have their merits). You are lucky that your reading was below 82.5 as this would have pushed you into the HRO category which would have meant you would need to go through the DVLA medical once you're eligible to apply for you license to be returned.

If you do receive a ban and lose you license, I would really recommend getting a bike and start cycling. Back when I was disqualified, it was honestly the best thing I ever did as I became a lot fitter than I was (I had no other choice but to cycle to places!) and have subsequently carried on with it and now participate in a few races around where I live.

The biggest thing now is to really accept what has happened and that you can't go back and change things - I didn't accept what had happened for a long time after I was disqualified but when I did accept things and moved on, then life felt a lot easier to get on with!

If you need any help, please feel free to give me a private message!

MM

I haven't been charged yet, I don't think anyway... Until my bloods come back.
In regards to the ban and fine, I fully accept that its coming. At the end of the day I made the mistake so now I figuratively and literally have to pay the price.

Getting a bike is actually a really good idea, i will just need to learn how to ride one first haha.

Thank you and to everyone for the support. This forum really is making the process a little easier as I dont feel quite so alone. I think once I get my court date, my anxieties around this may increase again, so if I can pop you a private message then thst would be great.
Thanks again.

The other thing to think about could be an electric bike if you have to travel to and from work. You do not need a licence to ride one if it conforms to the EAPC regulations, so you cannot strap a washing machine motor on to your Raleigh as a DIY job!

The other thing to think about could be an electric bike if you have to travel to and from work. You do not need a licence to ride one if it conforms to the EAPC regulations, so you cannot strap a washing machine motor on to your Raleigh as a DIY job!
Thats a really good idea! And good thing you mentioned that before i started taking my washing machine apart haha

cycling for fun is great, but When it is a necessity and after a full days work some battery assistance is Very welcome

Cycling is amazing.
I was a unfit 38 year old when i lost my licence in feb, i am now on the bike and getting quicker. My 8.5 mile commute takes 20 mins in car, i am now doing it in around 35 on the push bike. So exercise, cost effective and time effective. In essence 1hr 10 exercise is costing me 30 mins in time against commute.
You will be fine great, it will soon pass, we live and learn.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off