I dont understand...cdt results show 0.6% yet..

Convicted Driver Insurance

Squirejim

The dvla have written to me saying based on your recent medical results we are revoking your license and you must be abstinent from booze for a year. I leliterally have 2 or 3 beers a month. The dvla doctors results show its a 0.6% ...surely there is a clerical mistake here....or am I missing something. Any help in advance gratefully received. Thanks

what is your status? In other words why did you have a DVLA medical... drink driving or do you have a past medical history with them?
If you had to fill in a questionnaire, what did you say about your alcohol intake and have you been noted as ‘alcohol dependent’ by your GP that could have been noted in the GP report to DVLA?
Have you been on a temporary 12 month licence?

Squirejim

I did my HRO medical in November 2020 and my CDT was 0.9% after 15 months sobriety.

As a HRO I was advised that my reading has to be under 1.3% for a green light pass.

0.6% is an excellent score - it is impossible for anyone to get 0.0% unless they are dead or do not actually have a liver!

There is something very odd here if the DVLA have revoked your licence after a result of 0.6%.

When answering the questions - when did you declare your last alcoholic drink? If the DVLA have put you in the alcohol misuser or dependant category you need to state you have not consumed alcohol for at least 12 months even if you have the drinking under control and as you say only have 2/3 beers a month.

Unfortunately, the DVLA have a zero tolerance attitude to drink with HRO drivers - they can still revoke you if you declare having the one sherry on Christmas Day, taking wine at Holy Communion or having a drop of whisky in a warm drink to get rid of a cold!!!

CJ

what is your status? In other words why did you have a DVLA medical... drink driving or do you have a past medical history with them?
If you had to fill in a questionnaire, what did you say about your alcohol intake and have you been noted as ‘alcohol dependent’ by your GP that could have been noted in the GP report to DVLA?
Have you been on a temporary 12 month licence?
No definitely not listed as alcohol dependant just got caught when over lint. 6 months van then reapplied only ro get this weird letter stating based on evidence and medical report we are withdrawing your application until you show complete abstinence as records show u have a history of alcohol dependence. In the medical reportable is shows is that I took a cdt test which returned 0.6%. You can't get through on phones so was going to go my GP get letter from his to show im nit dependant then send in to dvla 'extra evidence inxlude the GP report and the dvla test result of 0.6% and ask them to clarify why this result means ut shows im alcohol dependant. Whilst irrelevant ro them its affecting my job, family and mental health. Please would they kindly clarify hosbgbey teched this decision

6 moNth ban for being over the limit? That cannot be right. You might get that for an ‘in charge” offence, but then why the medical? We do notseem to be having the full picture here.....

Squirejim

With respect (as I don't know you) what you have said doesn't really make sense at all.

A minimum drink driving ban is 12 months, not 6. If you have only been banned for a shorter period (let's say 12 months) you would not need to do a CDT because you would not be classed as a HRO!!!

Have you actually been banned at court or have you simply had your driving licence revoked by the DVLA several months ago?

Several things don't add up here. As I said - 0.6% is an excellent CDT score, so why would the DVLA knock you back?

Another thing that doesn't add up - you are saying the DVLA have recieved your CDT score - therefore you must have had previous correspondence from the DVLA to attend their approved medical to do the CDT? You make it sound like the CDT has been done without your knowledge!!!!

The way you have explained it is - you have been banned for six months then receive a letter out of the blue saying an excellent CDT score (wherever it was taken) suggests alcohol dependancy and you cannot drive for 12 months?????

I'm probably not the most highly educated person in the world but I am really struggling to get my head around the circumstances you are alleging here?????

CJ

On let me clarify. I was caught in charge of a motor vehicle and failed to provide a specimin...on that basis I got 6 month driving ban.... when ibreapllied after 6 months I was asked to attend dvla medical snd physicsl.....results came back at 0 6....

BuT it now transpires my GP has deemed me to be an alcoholic based on a conversation 6 years ago? Does this make more sense ?

They've now revoked my license based on what my GP says eho I've not even seen for 5 years. I passed the cdt ....so it seems gp has dropped me in it and surely I'm allowed to see what the GP has written about me...?

The annoying / illegal thing is that I've not seen a copy of the medical report from Gzp just the 0.6 results hence why it wasn't making any sense... its still not making sense as ...well I havent spoken to my GP for 5 or 6 years snd they take a report from a gp who hasn't seen me in all that time.

The annoying / illegal thing is that I've not seen a copy of the medical report from Gzp just the 0.6 results hence why it wasn't making any sense... its still not making sense as ...well I havent spoken to my GP for 5 or 6 years snd they take a report from a gp who hasn't seen me in all that time.

Where are you getting the idea that this is illegal? Just a side note, you should be checking in with your GP more often than every 5 or 6 years. It avoids things like this happening, a GP can't answer a form for a patient they don't know hence they normally write unknown rather than tick yes or no and it causes things like this to happen.

Where are you getting the idea that this is illegal? Just a side note, you should be checking in with your GP more often than every 5 or 6 years. It avoids things like this happening, a GP can't answer a form for a patient they don't know hence they normally write unknown rather than tick yes or no and it causes things like this to happen.
Really. So gp if they haven't seen someone for 6 years make a 6 year assumption....tbats quite frightening bearing in mind the complexity of individuals.... yes we would go for regular check ups but if you're feelibg fit n healthy why be a drain on NHS....its doesnt seem right or fair...... that a letter is written without ccing in the individual whose medical situation youvare talking about....
I won't analogise but think....I met you 6vyears ago....you were a crack head junkie.... without givibg anyone the benefit of the doubt that's what I write about you.....granted you could still he a crack head junkie but I'd like to give you the opportunity to see how u are doing ....dont forget this field is new to young people......seems v odd way in this day and age not to engage with the patient subject first before potentially ruining there life further.....no 2nd chance ??

Yea maybe not illegal im no lawyer but unethical to write about someone whose you met 6 years ago.... are you saying there no option to challenge or recourse...surely there's a requirement to see what gp has written ?

Really. So gp if they haven't seen someone for 6 years make a 6 year assumption....tbats quite frightening bearing in mind the complexity of individuals.... yes we would go for regular check ups but if you're feelibg fit n healthy why be a drain on NHS....its doesnt seem right or fair...... that a letter is written without ccing in the individual whose medical situation youvare talking about....
I won't analogise but think....I met you 6vyears ago....you were a crack head junkie.... without givibg anyone the benefit of the doubt that's what I write about you.....granted you could still he a crack head junkie but I'd like to give you the opportunity to see how u are doing ....dont forget this field is new to young people......seems v odd way in this day and age not to engage with the patient subject first before potentially ruining there life further.....no 2nd chance ??

By writing unknown the doctor hasn't made any assumptions? They've told the truth, that they do not know. If they tick yes then they've made an assumption but this usually isn't the case, it's usually that they have answered that they don't know. The way you challenge this is by seeing the GP who returned this form and having them write a letter for the DVLA clearly stating that you do not nor have you ever had any misuse or dependence problems with alcohol.

You can't expect medical professionals to just make the assumption that you're fit and healthy and tick no to everything, that would make them criminally negligent if you get your licence back and wipe out a family the next day in your car. So they air on the side of caution if they've not seen you in so long. Also I'm a young person, this field wasn't new I knew well in advance to make sure to see my GP before trying to get my driving licence back.

You can just say addict instead of "crack head junkie", it would sound less bitter. You can see what they've written, just contact the medical section and request the information they hold on you. Failing that, put in a subject access request for everything the DVLA hold on your file.

Ok apogee if you rook it in the wrong way, not intended...just a lot of stress this end snd don't need to be sharing it with people that wanna help.

I am led to believe the gp rather than not comment confirmed im an alcoholic when I havent barely had a drop in 4 years....so that is making a huge assumption....either way....will het to bottom of it. First of all y visiting Gp to set record straight...unfortunately I understand the wheels of dvla turn v slowly which continues to have an impact on livelihood..... so will see what happens afyer seeing the GP....

As it was 6 years ago you last saw your GP, unfortunately for you, the last thing they have on record is that you are dependant and the DVLA will have seen this on your medical record.
It gets better - you wont get your license back, until you provide this evidence and that may mean another 12 months ban while you get yourself tested every 3 or 4 months - they wont take your word for it

Squirejim

Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing. You should have made contact with your GP immediately after your arrest/court appearance to speak to him/her about the conviction.

I appreciate you don't like being a drain on the NHS or GP services, but you can simply speak to your GP over the telephone rather than visit the surgery (because of the Covid restrictions). That way it doesn't impact too much on the GPs time.

If you read various threads posted on this forum, alot of members have instigated regular contact with their GP's during their bans to ensure their efforts of sobriety are documented. Even if you don't have a problem with alcohol - still get it documented by the GP (but don't forget - never tell them you drink more than 14 units a week!!!)

Even if you have never seen the GP in X number of years, it is beneficial just contacting them following a drink driving or drunk in charge conviction so they can add an entry to your medical records.

What I would suggest now is contacting the GP to discuss their report to the DVLA - I would argue that you should be entitled to know what was disclosed. As it is personal information about you, I can't see there being any breach of patient confidentiality or Data Protection.

Discuss a way of going forward with this, such as regular LFTs if need be. Good luck.

CJ

after refusing to give sample how did you only get 12 months reduced to 6? i thought the courts gave 3 years for this?

after refusing to give sample how did you only get 12 months reduced to 6? i thought the courts gave 3 years for this?
His case was ‘in charge’ rather than driving, and the guidelines are 10 points or a 6 month ban.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off