HRO scheme trouble / 6 years with out my licence.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tommyalfonz

Hi I am in desperate need of advice. I will try to explain my situation best as I can before questions.

I was banned in January 2014 for my second drink drive (I blew a unit over each time I was caught not disputing in the law I was in the wrong) first time being caught was in 2008. So due to this I was given a 3 year ban and a £300 odd pound fine and put on the high risk offender scheme which we all know means I had to take a medical.
A year into my ban I took and completed the Dvla appointed drink drivers awarness class, reducing my ban by quite a few months how ever I ran the length of the 3 year ban as I was working away a lot and If I’m honest I’m not a fan of needles or blood which is a major factor.
after about 4 years into my ban I applied for my licence and got a letter to confirm my Dvla appointed doctor to do my medical (which I thought was fine at the time even with a fear of needles)
I took the medical and waited to hear back from the Dvla only for them to say I was over the recommended cdb or something limits? I asked them what I needed to do to get my licence back they said wait a length of time and reapply.
ive had the forms in my kitchen draw waiting for the past year after waiting a year before even picking them up! (Im now 6 years into my 3 year ban after the Dvla class I attended the ban was 2 years 2 months)
Now what my issue is due to this corona virus and now being out of work as I’m self employed. I need my licence so I can drive to a rural location to care for my elderly mother (we are out in the sticks no transportation routes) and also to do the shopping etc.
I was wondering if anyone could shed any light at all or give me any advice before I start calling DVLA and asking stupid questions.
I don’t know if I’m being really nieve or what but 6 years 2 months I’ve been banned for maybe half a pint over. Is there any method to appeal or get an emergency licence or temporary licence?

thank you all in advance.

regards.

Hi mate, when you attended your DVLA medical and they told you you was over this is probably the case that your CDT level was over 3% which means they will not issue a licence, this level of CDT testing can show dependent drinking which then means you will have to abstain from drink for 12 months and continue to be drink free in order for you to get a temporary licence, but at this moment in time you will need to supply medical evidence in the form of liver function tests through your GP possible 4 throughout your 12 months you will need your GPs support and you can't be showing any abnormal blood markers, this is a long road my friend and lots of visiting to your GP, to show you are off the booze completely and that you continue to stay off the booze, if you want a temporary licence then you will need to supply 12 months abstination, 4 liver function tests, GPs support and if you've been classed as dependent you need to have a last alcoholic drink date registered with your GP, have a look at some of my other posts it'll explain what you need to do to obtain a temporary licence,,,,,

Simple fact is just forget about it at the moment,Simple fact the Dvla has cancelled everything for the next 3 months and it will take another 3 month to even get an appointment

Hi mate, when you attended your DVLA medical and they told you you was over this is probably the case that your CDT level was over 3% which means they will not issue a licence, this level of CDT testing can show dependent drinking which then means you will have to abstain from drink for 12 months and continue to be drink free in order for you to get a temporary licence, but at this moment in time you will need to supply medical evidence in the form of liver function tests through your GP possible 4 throughout your 12 months you will need your GPs support and you can't be showing any abnormal blood markers, this is a long road my friend and lots of visiting to your GP, to show you are off the booze completely and that you continue to stay off the booze, if you want a temporary licence then you will need to supply 12 months abstination, 4 liver function tests, GPs support and if you've been classed as dependent you need to have a last alcoholic drink date registered with your GP, have a look at some of my other posts it'll explain what you need to do to obtain a temporary licence,,,,,

hi thanks for the reply, I was not told by Dvla I would need to take any extra tests. Jus straight forward medical after waiting minimum of 6 weeks as for my levels the percentage was 2.8 in my liver but was told it was to high. Due to this corona out break I dont see how I can go for the medical. It’s been 2 years since last full application. I surely have A leg to stand on the 6 years 2 months was mainly down to me not reapplying. I mentioned a temp licence only because I need to be able to use transport immediately. Cheers

Simple fact is just forget about it at the moment,Simple fact the Dvla has cancelled everything for the next 3 months and it will take another 3 month to even get an appointment

I need to care for a family member I can’t fogret about it, hence my asking for advice before I phone them. Cheers

Will not even get through to speak to anyone,You will not be getting a temporary licence i promise you,Need to make other arrangements i am sorry to say at this difficult time

Will not even get through to speak to anyone,You will not be getting a temporary licence i promise you,Need to make other arrangements i am sorry to say at this difficult time
Thanks for the advice mate, I have to try or maybe email or something? 6 months is not possible at all being really rural and being the only child.. difficult one. I want to do everything by the book but am being left with little to no options. Is there nothing in place for emergency temp licensing? Cheers

Thanks for the advice mate, I have to try or maybe email or something? 6 months is not possible at all being really rural and being the only child.. difficult one. I want to do everything by the book but am being left with little to no options. Is there nothing in place for emergency temp licensing? Cheers
Nothing,Believe me just read a few dozen posts on here with people trying to get a licence back after a ban without the virus is bad enough never mind the position the country is in now,Sorry its not what you wanted to hear but better to know than have false hope

Nothing,Believe me just read a few dozen posts on here with people trying to get a licence back after a ban without the virus is bad enough never mind the position the country is in now,Sorry its not what you wanted to hear but better to know than have false hope
I appreciate your help. Jus astounds me how I can be with out a licence for so long anyway irrespective of the situation so I see what your saying. I will contact the Dvla tomorrow none the less and also might speak to citizens advice as 6 years 2 months is along long time considering the hundreds I’ve paid in courses and reapplication and the medical. This system is surely broken. Again regards.

In order for you to obtain a temporary licence your CDT levels need to be 0.9 or lower showing little to no alcohol whatsoever, without this DVLA medical and low CDT test DVLA will not entertain you, good luck keep us posted......

I will just say that the advice you have been given already, much though it is not welcome, if correct. There is no chance of you progressing a licence application at the moment. DVLA on hold, Their doctors not doing medicals and even if you did get past that! Your GP would probably not reply to the DVLA enquiry form and they would not grant your licence application without hearing from him.
Don’t be tempted to drive anyway, the police are starting to carry out spot checks on people to ask where they are going, and you will be uninsured as well as having no licence so you would be in an even worse position going forward.

You can ride an electric bike with no licence, would this be a way of getting to see your mother? I expect you can order one online and whilst they are not cheap, you will be saving the insurance cost and the fuel cost so when you take this into account, it may make financial sense.

I will just say that the advice you have been given already, much though it is not welcome, if correct. There is no chance of you progressing a licence application at the moment. DVLA on hold, Their doctors not doing medicals and even if you did get past that! Your GP would probably not reply to the DVLA enquiry form and they would not grant your licence application without hearing from him.
Don’t be tempted to drive anyway, the police are starting to carry out spot checks on people to ask where they are going, and you will be uninsured as well as having no licence so you would be in an even worse position going forward.

You can ride an electric bike with no licence, would this be a way of getting to see your mother? I expect you can order one online and whilst they are not cheap, you will be saving the insurance cost and the fuel cost so when you take this into account, it may make financial sense.

Everything you've been told here is correct, you will not be getting a licence this side of the crisis. There is no system that can grant an emergency or temporary licence. Just to follow up on Price's comment, police check points are a reality. I passed through one in Belfast just getting to Asda. At the checkpoint my licence was checked and I was asked where I was coming from and going to. There's been a sharp increase in people being stopped for no insurance since they're vetting more cars, seems every night the PSNI are posting on Facebook about how many cars were seized that day.

I appreciate the advice I’ve had no joy with the Dvla so I think my options are null until this virus blows over. Thank you all for the information

Not sure about CDT, however with that result of 2.8 you can bet that your liver function is raised, just to give you some idea my liver function was raised at 170 and took 3 months to return to normal with complete abstination, your liver function should be in the region of 50/70......get it checked by your GP when this nightmare ends before going for another DVLA medical and possibly resulting in another refusal......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off