HRO Reapplication Process

Convicted Driver Insurance

Worriedhro

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can’t find anything online about it. I was banned and classed as a HRO due to the amount I blew in breath in November 2022, the DVLA have sent me the normal reapplication letter but have also included a medical form- is this normal? It asks questions ie ‘have you had any alcohol dependancy/misuse issues in the last 6 years’, ‘how often do you drink alcohol’ etc. In 2021/2022 I did visit my GP as I felt I was drinking too much, but after my ban and reaching ‘rock bottom’ I have been sober after seeking help for it. Just worried as it’s documented that I did have a ‘problem’ and I’ll be penalised for it despite now being better and confused if them sending a medical letter along with the application letter is normal for HRO’s? Thank you in advance!

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can’t find anything online about it. I was banned and classed as a HRO due to the amount I blew in breath in November 2022, the DVLA have sent me the normal reapplication letter but have also included a medical form- is this normal? It asks questions ie ‘have you had any alcohol dependancy/misuse issues in the last 6 years’, ‘how often do you drink alcohol’ etc. In 2021/2022 I did visit my GP as I felt I was drinking too much, but after my ban and reaching ‘rock bottom’ I have been sober after seeking help for it. Just worried as it’s documented that I did have a ‘problem’ and I’ll be penalised for it despite now being better and confused if them sending a medical letter along with the application letter is normal for HRO’s? Thank you in advance!
Yes, the medical form is normal. You will then have another medical.

Please make sure you document everything you send to the DVLA. Take a picture and/or scan all paperwork received and sent to the DVLA.

I'll try and go into this more in a bit (a little busy at the moment, however wanted to say it before you send off the DR1). If your GP has put that you have alcohol misuse/dependency (even if it's in the past), the DVLA will expect you to be abstinent for at least 12 months (and stay abstinent for the foreseeable future) before you can get your licence back.

If you put on the DR1 that you've consumed alcohol within 12 months and the GP then informs the DVLA of recent alcohol dependency, your licence application will be rejected and they will expect you to show at least 12 months of abstinence.

Please take your time reading through the forum (if you haven't already done so) before sending the DVLA any paperwork.

Please make sure you document everything you send to the DVLA. Take a picture and/or scan all paperwork received and sent to the DVLA.

I'll try and go into this more in a bit (a little busy at the moment, however wanted to say it before you send off the DR1). If your GP has put that you have alcohol misuse/dependency (even if it's in the past), the DVLA will expect you to be abstinent for at least 12 months (and stay abstinent for the foreseeable future) before you can get your licence back.

If you put on the DR1 that you've consumed alcohol within 12 months and the GP then informs the DVLA of recent alcohol dependency, your licence application will be rejected and they will expect you to show at least 12 months of abstinence.

Please take your time reading through the forum (if you haven't already done so) before sending the DVLA any paperwork.
Thank you, will do! I’ve got an appointment booked with my GP next week so I’ll take the form along and go through it with them :)

This is good advice. It’s important to get the dates right/consistent, because you’ll be asked again during the medical; and these must obviously tally with what your GP declares to them.

Even more important is that period of abstinence mentioned above - even saying you only drank a nominal amount is a big red flag to our Swansea friends. I hope it all goes well.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off