HRO Process - Northern Ireland - Time Frames Included

Convicted Driver Insurance

Recovered22

Established Member
I have just been through the HRO process in NI and kept a note of the whole process to share here as there isn't a whole lot of information on the forum for NI. When you read posts here you're going to hear a lot about CDT test, if you are going through the process in NI you can disregard that as it is not the test used here we use the LFT. LFT or liver function test is the normal liver test that your GP would perform. Where as we get much shorter bans than England (12 months reduced to 9 months for my reading of 93) we pay a much higher fee to re-apply, aren't allowed to apply until the ban is up and have to retake our test. Here is the whole process as it unfolded for me:

Cheque payable to the DVA:
£144- Licence Fee
£179.50- Medical Fee
Total Fee: £323.50

Application Sent: Tuesday 14th May 2019

Acknowledgement of application & return of ID: Saturday 25th May 2019

Medical Date: Saturday 22nd June 2019

Med 4 form to take to own GP recieved: Thursday 11th of July 2019, seen GP and returned first class same day

Letter requesting medical report from my GP re my health recieved: Wednesday 27th of July 2019, returned Friday 2nd August 2019

Licence issued: Full licence granted Friday 8th August 2019

It is to be highlighted here that it took nearly 3 months from when my ban ended until my licence was actually issued. It is for this reason that it is SO important that you request the drink driving awareness course when you are at court as this reduced my ban from 12 months to 9 months and meant I was able to start this whole process in May as opposed to only being able to start it on the 14th of August. The last 2 steps I had to take in regards to getting reports from my GP can be ignored if you have no medical conditions to declare. So after all that, I hope this breakdown actually helps someone who needs to know how things work here in NI. I've been so glad of this forum when I was going through the process and it is a great help. Best of luck!

Sorry I didn't realise when I was writing this, i misread the email from DVA. I have been issued a 3 year licence, I was quite excited to get the email and didn't read it properly, typical! Still I'm very happy with a 3 year licence.

I have just been through the HRO process in NI and kept a note of the whole process to share here as there isn't a whole lot of information on the forum for NI. When you read posts here you're going to hear a lot about CDT test, if you are going through the process in NI you can disregard that as it is not the test used here we use the LFT. LFT or liver function test is the normal liver test that your GP would perform. Where as we get much shorter bans than England (12 months reduced to 9 months for my reading of 93) we pay a much higher fee to re-apply, aren't allowed to apply until the ban is up and have to retake our test. Here is the whole process as it unfolded for me:

£144- Licence Fee
£179.50- Medical Fee

Med 4 form to take to own GP recieved: Thursday 11th of July 2019, seen GP and returned first class same day

Letter requesting medical report from my GP re my health recieved: Wednesday 27th of July 2019, returned Friday 2nd August 2019

It is to be highlighted here that it took nearly 3 months from when my ban ended until my licence was actually issued. It is for this reason that it is SO important that you request the drink driving awareness course when you are at court as this reduced my ban from 12 months to 9 months and meant I was able to start this whole process in May as opposed to only being able to start it on the 14th of August. The last 2 steps I had to take in regards to getting reports from my GP can be ignored if you have no medical conditions to declare. So after all that, I hope this breakdown actually helps someone who needs to know how things work here in NI. I've been so glad of this forum when I was going through the process and it is a great help. Best of luck!
Thank you for this what kind of medical condition would you need to disclose, I have suffered from insomnia for 20 years and take medication would I have to disclose that

I disclosed depression, anxiety and misuse of alcohol over a year ago. You would need to disclose insomnia as it is considered a mild psychiatric condition, just tell them how long you have suffered from it and what medication you're currently on.

£144- Licence Fee
£179.50- Medical Fee

Hi
I've just been caught and freaking out there's not much info for ni. It's my first offense and I got caught 65. I'm stressing about work and where to turn to next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what sort of consequences I'm facing.

In regards to sentencing the only guideline in NI is that you should be banned for a minimum of 12 months. On my drink driving awareness course last year in Newry the lowest reading was 43 and the highest reading was 128 and we all received 12 month bans, we were all sentenced in either Newry or Armagh courthouse.

Make sure to instruct your solicitor to ask the court for the drink driving awareness course as this will reduce your ban by 25%, so if you get a 12 month ban it'll be reduced to 9 months. When your ban is up your provisional licence will be returned to you as in NI everyone who is banned for DD must complete both their theory and practical tests again.

Our bans are much shorter than England's but we all must re-take our tests here in NI.

£144- Licence Fee
£179.50- Medical Fee

Hi did you have to retake your test?

Just says you got your licence back

I realise at the end of my breakdown of the time scale I said full licence returned. I should have said provisional licence returned. However I did mention having to retake the test earlier in the post.

20201218_224820.jpg

I realise at the end of my breakdown of the time scale I said full licence returned. I should have said provisional licence returned. However I did mention having to retake the test earlier in the post.

View attachment 223
Yeah but you never quoted it your timeframes and dates, which was the point on the thread, so saying you quoted it before leaves a person confused. Those are quick turnarounds. I’ll not hold my breath with cv19

Welcome to the group Bobbib. You will find a lot of advice on here from people who know the process or have actual experience of it (as in the case of Grice96 who especially offers a good insight in to the system in relation to Northern Ireland)
You will get better responses from people if you do not nit pick when someone takes the trouble to give a detailed insight in to a process for no gain themselves. If something is not clear, a simple question will be much better appreciated and better responded to.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off