HRO medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sammyb

Hi everyone,
First I would like to say thanks for all the advice I have read on this site so far.

So I have my HRO medical on 02/10/2018 and I have to be completely honest I feel really nervous! I am not an alcoholic and have never been alcohol dependant but I have had a tendency to be a bit of a binge drinker, if I am with friends I can normally drink till I drop and there is no counting units but I wake up the next day and that is it finished till the next time, however on the date 31/08/2018 to 03/09/2018 I had a weekend away at the races with a friend and we did some serious drinking together over the 4 days. since then I have not touched a drop of alcohol and now i'm slightly worried that 4 weeks will not be enough to lower my CDT levels enough for a pass. I have read practically every internet site that I have found about CDT and practically every post on this site and I just feel so nervous now that I should have waited the 12 weeks (this wasn't an option as I had applied for my licence before the weekend away was given to me as a gift).
I will come back here and post my results once I have been and let everyone know how everything goes but if anyone could put my mind at ease it would be great to save my nails!

If you only occasionally binge drinking it is very likely your CDT will be fine. Slightly simplified, but for someone who doesn't chronically abuse alcohol the CDT will return to near baseline within one to two weeks.

Apart from that just be honest. Most healthcare professionals can spot those who chronically abuse alcohol without the need for a test, not least because if they cut down/abstain before the test they tend to be all over the place even if they claim to live a monk like existence.

The DVLA aren't looking you to never have a night out with mates and catch a taxi home, they're looking for you not to be dependent on alcohol and thus likely to drink even when you know you have to drive. CDT is a blunt but surprisingly good indicator of that. It sounds like you will pass easily.

As TipsyNurse says, you are not likely to fail the test from what you have said. BUT, if you end up in the ‘grey’ area with a result of 2.3-2.9 in the CDT test what is your doctor likely to say about you and your drinking habits? Have you seen your doctor in the past 2 years over anything that could be alcohol related? This could influence the outcome.

As TipsyNurse says, you are not likely to fail the test from what you have said. BUT, if you end up in the ‘grey’ area with a result of 2.3-2.9 in the CDT test what is your doctor likely to say about you and your drinking habits? Have you seen your doctor in the past 2 years over anything that could be alcohol related? This could influence the outcome.

I have not seen my GP at all for alcohol ever there was once when a doctor told me i had to stop drinking because of some medication I was on but nothing to do with my drinking habits, in fact my gp asked how much I drink and when I told him he said that I don't drink that much at all. This CDT test has just got me in a complete terrified mess to be honest and the more I read the more scared I get. I have no need to lie about anything and if I was drinking more I would say so, so with what you and Tipsynurse have said I think i'm going to be fine.

Thank you both for your replies I think I have been guilty of that "dont google a medical condition thing haha" its just that binge 4 weeks ago that has made me question things.

If you have had 4 weeks before the cdt blood test with
Not a drop I think you will be fine.

I binged also over 2 days before I started my abstinence.

I did a medi checks test a week before my medical and scored 0.7 after nearly 4 weeks abstinence.

Then I passed the medical.

Don't know my actual result, but probs be 0.7 or thereabouts.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off