Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Yeh Dave said he has previous misuse on his records so they most likely will contact from this. Those people who got medical so soon after more or less ticked no on every box - whether it was true or not... They luckily got away with it. But ofcourse if you lied and they do contact GP, you've suddenly got a very complex case on your hands.

Hi Samielewi, not sure what to do really, bit of a gamble isn't it, but if I tell the truth then I'm not going to get my licence back for ages as I haven't been getting LFTS Done with my gp to prove I haven't been drinking, I only stopped drinking 20 day's ago when I realised they might well check! I just thought I had to pass the CDT, it's not looking good is it if I tell the truth ?

I'm hoping this thread can become a sticky and be the one stop place to compare peoples experiences. It can be difficult as it seems (quite understandably) that people don't come back on here once they have got their licences back but I would appreciate anyone who does to please fill in the following below and post:

1) Date you applied for new licence:
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical:
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:
4) Date of Medical:
5) Date of Results and Outcome:

Also Please state:

1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:
I'm hoping this thread can become a sticky and be the one stop place to compare peoples experiences. It can be difficult as it seems (quite understandably) that people don't come back on here once they have got their licences back but I would appreciate anyone who does to please fill in the following below and post:

1) Date you applied for new licence: 01/01/2022
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 03/04/2022
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:17/04/2022
4) Date of Medical:03/05/2022
5) Date of Results and Outcome:not yet

Also Please state:
Took a medichecks test I drink half a litre of vodka every day 33 years old obese never been convicted of drink driving applied for hgv license but medical record sais I misuse alcohol didn’t abstain before medichecks test result was 1.1 surprising really so not abstaining before test no reason to do so will pass
1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:none
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:heavy vodka use have done for years half a litre every day

1) Date you applied for new licence: 01/01/2022
2) Date when you got the letter to book medical: 03/04/2022
3) Date when you sent letter back to book medical:17/04/2022
4) Date of Medical:03/05/2022
5) Date of Results and Outcome:not yet

Also Please state:
Took a medichecks test I drink half a litre of vodka every day 33 years old obese never been convicted of drink driving applied for hgv license but medical record sais I misuse alcohol didn’t abstain before medichecks test result was 1.1 surprising really so not abstaining before test no reason to do so will pass
1) Period of abstinence prior to actual medical Date:none
2) Drinking habits prior to abstinence period:heavy vodka use have done for years half a litre every day
1.1 and drinking vodka everyday😮😮..thats crazyyy

Hi all. Great resource for information on here. I got a 2 year ban reduced by 25% with the TTC course, and I am due to have my ban expire on 20/02/2023.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice before I approach my GP. I had a TIA in November 2018 and was placed on medication for treatment. One of which was Statins. I had some blood tests carried out in June 2019 by my GP Practice and was called in by the GP to discuss alcohol consumption as my blood test showed impaired liver function. I pointed out to the GP that I had attended a wedding and probably over did it, and was unaware that the statins and alcohol would react with one another. Long story short he gave me some literature about alcohol, etc., and didn't seem interested in my discussion re-the statins. 4 weeks later I had further blood tests, and I had abstained from alcohol in the run up. All tests came back as normal. The GP I was dealing with at the time has now left the practice, and I was wondering if it was worth me booking an appointment with my new GP to go over the circumstances as I am concerned how this has been flagged on my medical records. I have my bloods done every year, and it has never been flagged up again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all. Great resource for information on here. I got a 2 year ban reduced by 25% with the TTC course, and I am due to have my ban expire on 20/02/2023.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice before I approach my GP. I had a TIA in November 2018 and was placed on medication for treatment. One of which was Statins. I had some blood tests carried out in June 2019 by my GP Practice and was called in by the GP to discuss alcohol consumption as my blood test showed impaired liver function. I pointed out to the GP that I had attended a wedding and probably over did it, and was unaware that the statins and alcohol would react with one another. Long story short he gave me some literature about alcohol, etc., and didn't seem interested in my discussion re-the statins. 4 weeks later I had further blood tests, and I had abstained from alcohol in the run up. All tests came back as normal. The GP I was dealing with at the time has now left the practice, and I was wondering if it was worth me booking an appointment with my new GP to go over the circumstances as I am concerned how this has been flagged on my medical records. I have my bloods done every year, and it has never been flagged up again.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Greg, are you a HRO or not ? Have you been abstinent from alcohol lately ? If so how long ?

Hi Dave, I am an HRO. I've been drinking on and off over the past 4 / 5 weeks on social events. I don't drink during the week or at home. But I am planning on being abstinent as of the end of May (I have a work function to attend near the end of the month). Looking at advice here I should be well in the clear by the time I have to apply with the D27 or D1 form in November, and then await the medical.

Hi Dave, I am an HRO. I've been drinking on and off over the past 4 / 5 weeks on social events. I don't drink during the week or at home. But I am planning on being abstinent as of the end of May (I have a work function to attend near the end of the month). Looking at advice here I should be well in the clear by the time I have to apply with the D27 or D1 form in November, and then await the medical.
Have you got previous alcohol misuse or dependency on your gp record do you know Greg, or not ?

Nothing, Dave. Apart from that one incident detailed above where the GP flagged it up due to my blood test showing a liver impairment that was gone when I had my bloods done 4 weeks later.

Nothing, Dave. Apart from that one incident detailed above where the GP flagged it up due to my blood test showing a liver impairment that was gone when I had my bloods done 4 weeks later.
You should be OK then Greg, how long are you planning on being abstinent before your CDT test ? Keep in mind that the DVLA will send you for a medical, with a DVLA doctor about 5 weeks after you reapply for your licence. They will send you the D27 application form about 90 days before your ban end's.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the update. That is a relief. I was planning on being abstinent from the end of May. So, 6 months prior to the DVLA issuing my D27 form in November,.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the update. That is a relief. I was planning on being abstinent from the end of May. So, 6 months prior to the DVLA issuing my D27 form in November,.
You'll be fine then Greg, as long as you stick to it your CDT levels will be fine, you'll pass and get your licence back. Good luck! 👍

Hi
I’ve just received my letter saying which doctor to go & see for my medical.
I applied for my licence 9th March 2022. Letter arrived 17th May 2022!!
My ban finished ages ago, but I’ve had issues in my life that I won’t go into!!
I got banned for 20 months & yes I’m an HRO.
I don’t really drink a lot, maybe a couple strong ciders on a weekend. I’ve not drank for a week now. I’m gonna book my medical in a week or 2. I want to have a low score on my CDT test. After reading 26 pages of comments on here I reckon I’ll be alright in that department!! 😂
I’m a bit worried about dvla contacting my GP. I was on a methadone treatment program for 2 weeks before getting chucked off. I’ve been clean ever since then. That was 18 months ago, there abouts.
I’ll be able to answer no to every question except the drugs questions. So I reckon they’ll be contacting my GP?? I don’t want to lie because if they do happen to contact my GP I’ll be ****ed!!
I’m going to see my GP on Monday 20th May, for other reasons, so I’m gonna ask him about it. The trouble is you don’t always see the same doctor these days, not like when I was younger!!
Can anyone tell me how the medical goes or is it a lucky dip?? It seems to me that it depends on the doctor you see. I’ve got to go to a chiropractor clinic for my medical.
I’m hardly sleeping cos of the worry. I can just see it being a ball ache to get my licence back!!
I’ll give them a low CDT reading & clean piss. I’ve not seen the doctors for anything apart from the methadone 18 months ago & I’m on Pregabalin, been on them for about 5 years. I injured my back in an accident at work. My dose is 200mg twice daily. They don’t affect me doing my day to day activities & I think the doctors will say I’m stable on them. What I mean is I do not abuse them, never have. They help me get out of bed & get to work.
How do I go about proving I’ve been clean from street drugs for 18 months?? I did it at home with no help from the doctors.
It’s stressing me right out!! I’ve been a total idiot…
Any help is much appreciated.
Many thanks

Hi
I’ve just received my letter saying which doctor to go & see for my medical.
I applied for my licence 9th March 2022. Letter arrived 17th May 2022!!
My ban finished ages ago, but I’ve had issues in my life that I won’t go into!!
I got banned for 20 months & yes I’m an HRO.
I don’t really drink a lot, maybe a couple strong ciders on a weekend. I’ve not drank for a week now. I’m gonna book my medical in a week or 2. I want to have a low score on my CDT test. After reading 26 pages of comments on here I reckon I’ll be alright in that department!! 😂
I’m a bit worried about dvla contacting my GP. I was on a methadone treatment program for 2 weeks before getting chucked off. I’ve been clean ever since then. That was 18 months ago, there abouts.
I’ll be able to answer no to every question except the drugs questions. So I reckon they’ll be contacting my GP?? I don’t want to lie because if they do happen to contact my GP I’ll be ****ed!!
I’m going to see my GP on Monday 20th May, for other reasons, so I’m gonna ask him about it. The trouble is you don’t always see the same doctor these days, not like when I was younger!!
Can anyone tell me how the medical goes or is it a lucky dip?? It seems to me that it depends on the doctor you see. I’ve got to go to a chiropractor clinic for my medical.
I’m hardly sleeping cos of the worry. I can just see it being a ball ache to get my licence back!!
I’ll give them a low CDT reading & clean piss. I’ve not seen the doctors for anything apart from the methadone 18 months ago & I’m on Pregabalin, been on them for about 5 years. I injured my back in an accident at work. My dose is 200mg twice daily. They don’t affect me doing my day to day activities & I think the doctors will say I’m stable on them. What I mean is I do not abuse them, never have. They help me get out of bed & get to work.
How do I go about proving I’ve been clean from street drugs for 18 months?? I did it at home with no help from the doctors.
It’s stressing me right out!! I’ve been a total idiot…
Any help is much appreciated.
Many thanks
Darron

From our experience the DVLA are likely to write to your GP, as you are an HRO
The DVLA Medical may be held in a Chiropractors Clinic, but it will be a DVLA appointed Dr who does it.
The DVLA usually write to you after the medical and let you know if they are writing to your GP.
Your initial license will probably be for one year. When you apply for the next, it becomes a Medical License rather than an HRO one, and they may write to your GP before the medical, which happened to me.
At your first medical it seems that as the DVLA are unaware of any drug involvement, they are unlikely to ask for a urine sample at that stage.
Once they have information from your GP, they may well want to explore the drugs issue, in which case getting your license back could be delayed. You mention that your methadone treatment was terminated, and they may want to know the reason for that.
They also seem to be suspicious of habit forming drugs, which includes Pregabalin, and may wish to explore that with you.
The CDT reading is important especially if it raises red flags, but is seen in context of other aspects of your application. The DVLA a will be aware how anxious we can be about CDT tests, and that people may choose to
be abstinent for some weeks before the test, and so achieving a low score.
This is such a stressful time for you, but there is plenty of support on this forum, and people are willing to give advice. I only discovered the forum after my ban was finished and so wish I’d known about it previously. For some reason my extensive Googling never ended up in the right place 🤣
Let us know how you get in. Kind regards J

Darron

From our experience the DVLA are likely to write to your GP, as you are an HRO
The DVLA Medical may be held in a Chiropractors Clinic, but it will be a DVLA appointed Dr who does it.
The DVLA usually write to you after the medical and let you know if they are writing to your GP.
Your initial license will probably be for one year. When you apply for the next, it becomes a Medical License rather than an HRO one, and they may write to your GP before the medical, which happened to me.
At your first medical it seems that as the DVLA are unaware of any drug involvement, they are unlikely to ask for a urine sample at that stage.
Once they have information from your GP, they may well want to explore the drugs issue, in which case getting your license back could be delayed. You mention that your methadone treatment was terminated, and they may want to know the reason for that.
They also seem to be suspicious of habit forming drugs, which includes Pregabalin, and may wish to explore that with you.
The CDT reading is important especially if it raises red flags, but is seen in context of other aspects of your application. The DVLA a will be aware how anxious we can be about CDT tests, and that people may choose to
be abstinent for some weeks before the test, and so achieving a low score.
This is such a stressful time for you, but there is plenty of support on this forum, and people are willing to give advice. I only discovered the forum after my ban was finished and so wish I’d known about it previously. For some reason my extensive Googling never ended up in the right place 🤣
Let us know how you get in. Kind regards J
Thanks for replying buddy.
Dvla can contact my doctor about drink.
I’ve not been to my doctors about drink since I was in my 20’s.
I’d be happy with a 1 year licence, right now anything is better than getting buses to work!! 😂
Just the drugs has me worried to be fair!!
I’ve been clean for 18 months but am unable to prove this. Was only on them for a couple years, which is stated in my medical records, that I’ve been reading through recently!!
The question last time I saw my doctor?? Well that’ll be this Monday, the 23rd May. I’m being checked for cancer as my brother had it when he was younger & now my eldest daughter has just had her cancer removed. So as you can imagine I’m rather worried about that!!
I’ve only seen my doctor for my back problems the past 6 years. That and seeing the local drug service.
Do I just lie & hope for the best they don’t see it in my records?? Or do I just go with the flow?? Even though it’ll mean I’m not allowed to drive possibly?? Ahhh my head is screwed up from all this!! Fuming with myself I really am…
I’m glad they give you 12 weeks to get the medical done, from the date the letter was sent. It seemed to be 6 weeks before, judging from what I’ve read on here.
I’ve literally been drinking a couple ciders at the end of the week as a treat. I can take it or leave it. I might have a blow out at Xmas but that’s it. Like I said before, I haven’t drank for a week now & won’t be til the medical is done.
My worry is once I fill out the questionnaire the doctor will see I’ve misused street drugs. Won’t that make the doctor test my urine??
I’m getting so stressed from all this!! I’ll be glad to see my doctor on Monday. They’ll hopefully be able to put my mind at ease.
I’ll keep you upto date on how things progress.
Many thanks
Darron

Thanks for replying buddy.
Dvla can contact my doctor about drink.
I’ve not been to my doctors about drink since I was in my 20’s.
I’d be happy with a 1 year licence, right now anything is better than getting buses to work!! 😂
Just the drugs has me worried to be fair!!
I’ve been clean for 18 months but am unable to prove this. Was only on them for a couple years, which is stated in my medical records, that I’ve been reading through recently!!
The question last time I saw my doctor?? Well that’ll be this Monday, the 23rd May. I’m being checked for cancer as my brother had it when he was younger & now my eldest daughter has just had her cancer removed. So as you can imagine I’m rather worried about that!!
I’ve only seen my doctor for my back problems the past 6 years. That and seeing the local drug service.
Do I just lie & hope for the best they don’t see it in my records?? Or do I just go with the flow?? Even though it’ll mean I’m not allowed to drive possibly?? Ahhh my head is screwed up from all this!! Fuming with myself I really am…
I’m glad they give you 12 weeks to get the medical done, from the date the letter was sent. It seemed to be 6 weeks before, judging from what I’ve read on here.
I’ve literally been drinking a couple ciders at the end of the week as a treat. I can take it or leave it. I might have a blow out at Xmas but that’s it. Like I said before, I haven’t drank for a week now & won’t be til the medical is done.
My worry is once I fill out the questionnaire the doctor will see I’ve misused street drugs. Won’t that make the doctor test my urine??
I’m getting so stressed from all this!! I’ll be glad to see my doctor on Monday. They’ll hopefully be able to put my mind at ease.
I’ll keep you upto date on how things progress.
Many thanks
Darron
Hi Darron
It seems unfair when you’ve pulled your life round, but from the DVLAs perspective they will be interested in anything drink/drug related that’s happened in the last 6 years. I think being honest has to be the way….your GP is professionally bound to be honest when asked direct questions about you.
It’s good that you have an appointment on Monday….however the appointment is about something else so your GP may be unable to discuss the drug issue at the same time. You could mention it and see how it goes…or ask to make another appointment. Either way go looking really well presented, and if you have the opportunity to talk about the drugs, I’d be careful not to come over as being sorry for myself, but would definitely say that I was proud of the months of sobriety from drugs that I’d achieved. You could ask what’s in your notes that’s drug related, keep it as an open question, just on the off chance that wherever you went for your methadone trial didn’t make a computerised entry. ( most NHS departments these days can access and make notes on people’s medical records. Maybe it wasn’t an NHS facility? Although I imagine it probably would be ) Establishing a positive relationship with your GP may not help you at this stage, but will in the future.
People who are prescribed Pregabalin usually have regular medication reviews, so that should be more opportunity to keep in touch with the surgery.
Good luck. Kind regards J

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off