Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
I had my medical today and was very anxious etc . I had a urine sample done and blood test . The reason I had both is the fact that I’ve been so honest about my drinking etc that it’s been used against me .
I stupidly thought that if I was honest that they would look on it as showing control and how I’ve changed my life around from my one and only driving conviction… NO ..

Instead they revoked my licence before I even got it back from my ban . All because I was open an honest about habits over a 6 year period . So pre and post ban ….

I had my licence revoked for 12 months .. today is exactly 16 months on !!! And I’ve had my medical !!! So I’ve served 29 months in total from an original ban of 17 months in 2019 !! … I blew 78 for my only conviction !

The medical was fine .. straight in and did a urine sample and answer questions on drug use ..

Then the same for drink and a blood test .
Height
Weight
Felt for my liver etc .

I answered no to every question possible and gave them not a single tiny reason to ban me . I’ve not drunk for 2 months .
I drank when the England games were on as I’d literally not drunk for 12 months before as asked .
I stuck to everything they asked and gave my D27 back on March 4th 2021 so I was ready to be tested and have my licence back at the beginning of June .

Oh no that was just a pipe dream . Thanks to their strikes and complete lack of understanding and contact with my doctor this has dragged on and on and had huge impacts on my mental health .

I’m sorry but in my opinion if you have any doubts about their questions then just lie and say you are t total and been so for a long time .

I would never tell them anything again or admit to even a half a lager or line of coke or drag on a spliff . They spin it and make you feel like your fully blown alcoholic or drug addict !

The way they are making people wait is inhumane in my opinion . They are encroaching in to peoples lives in a huge way and causing untold damage to mental health . I believe if you are told to abstain for 12 months then you are tested in that 12 months and have your licence back the day it ends .
I’m now on 16 months exactly and only today had a medical !!! They had my paperwork on the system 4th March !

I will no doubt now wait 12 weeks or 3 months further ! Is that reasonable? Is that worthy of me taking my complaint to the DFT and an independent complaint assessment?
It is disgusting how they turned me from open and honest and cooperative into a liar and full of anger and frustration.
They can and will literally push people back to drink and drugs in my opinion .

So that’s my experience and I’ll let you know the outcome if and when it arrives .
Sorry to be so negative but I know I’m not the only person being made to suffer due to their ridiculous staffing issues etc .
Let’s not forget they are a government organisation not corner shop !!!

I’ve even given them letters from my doctor and my MP has contacted them twice !

I had my medical today and was very anxious etc . I had a urine sample done and blood test . The reason I had both is the fact that I’ve been so honest about my drinking etc that it’s been used against me .
I stupidly thought that if I was honest that they would look on it as showing control and how I’ve changed my life around from my one and only driving conviction… NO ..

Instead they revoked my licence before I even got it back from my ban . All because I was open an honest about habits over a 6 year period . So pre and post ban ….

I had my licence revoked for 12 months .. today is exactly 16 months on !!! And I’ve had my medical !!! So I’ve served 29 months in total from an original ban of 17 months in 2019 !! … I blew 78 for my only conviction !

The medical was fine .. straight in and did a urine sample and answer questions on drug use ..

Height
Weight
Felt for my liver etc .

I answered no to every question possible and gave them not a single tiny reason to ban me . I’ve not drunk for 2 months .
I drank when the England games were on as I’d literally not drunk for 12 months before as asked .
I stuck to everything they asked and gave my D27 back on March 4th 2021 so I was ready to be tested and have my licence back at the beginning of June .

Oh no that was just a pipe dream . Thanks to their strikes and complete lack of understanding and contact with my doctor this has dragged on and on and had huge impacts on my mental health .

I’m sorry but in my opinion if you have any doubts about their questions then just lie and say you are t total and been so for a long time .

I would never tell them anything again or admit to even a half a lager or line of coke or drag on a spliff . They spin it and make you feel like your fully blown alcoholic or drug addict !

The way they are making people wait is inhumane in my opinion . They are encroaching in to peoples lives in a huge way and causing untold damage to mental health . I believe if you are told to abstain for 12 months then you are tested in that 12 months and have your licence back the day it ends .
I’m now on 16 months exactly and only today had a medical !!! They had my paperwork on the system 4th March !

I will no doubt now wait 12 weeks or 3 months further ! Is that reasonable? Is that worthy of me taking my complaint to the DFT and an independent complaint assessment?
It is disgusting how they turned me from open and honest and cooperative into a liar and full of anger and frustration.

So that’s my experience and I’ll let you know the outcome if and when it arrives .
Sorry to be so negative but I know I’m not the only person being made to suffer due to their ridiculous staffing issues etc .

I’ve even given them letters from my doctor and my MP has contacted them twice !
Well I'd be prepared for a horrendous wait my friend. I had my medical (urine test) and they have an incredible backlog, so much that it's been 12 weeks since I've had it and still not heard a thing!

Height
Weight
Felt for my liver etc .

Firstly, your frustration is completely valid. The delays and lack of communication are horrendous.
I really hope you get you license back without any trouble.
I waited 10 weeks after my medical to then be informed they have written to my GP. This, from my understanding, is to determine whether I have ever been an alcohol misuser or dependent and if those issues are still relevant in my fitness to drive today. I am awaiting any more news.

From what I have read on here, If you were told to abstain of 12 months then they most likely categorised you in the dependent stage (rightly or wrongly, the system is shit). Some DVLA advisory panel said this:
‘A driving licence may be issued after abstinence has been demonstrated for a 12 month period. In order to continue to be licensed, abstinence must continue for the next 2 years.’

So I can see why you wouldn’t want to tell them anything if you were to have a drink because we are all lumped into a corner here.
When did you tell them/your GP your last drink was ?
All the best, I hope we can all put this stuff behind us soon and move on.

Firstly, your frustration is completely valid. The delays and lack of communication are horrendous.
I waited 10 weeks after my medical to then be informed they have written to my GP. This, from my understanding, is to determine whether I have ever been an alcohol misuser or dependent and if those issues are still relevant in my fitness to drive today. I am awaiting any more news.

From what I have read on here, If you were told to abstain of 12 months then they most likely categorised you in the dependent stage (rightly or wrongly, the system is shit). Some DVLA advisory panel said this:
‘A driving licence may be issued after abstinence has been demonstrated for a 12 month period. In order to continue to be licensed, abstinence must continue for the next 2 years.’

So I can see why you wouldn’t want to tell them anything if you were to have a drink because we are all lumped into a corner here.

My GP has never asked about drinking and ive never been to him about drinking.

Well I'd be prepared for a horrendous wait my friend. I had my medical (urine test) and they have an incredible backlog, so much that it's been 12 weeks since I've had it and still not heard a thing!
Yes im well aware of the back log hence me waiting 16 months already even though I was told 12 months . Also my Dr and Psychiatrist were written to 3 times over the past 16 months . The last time being June 2021 where I sat with my Psychiatrist and went through the questionnaire they had sent her .

As well as this I’ve had 3-4 blood tests over the past 16 months as my health has been poor due to developing fibromyalgia from the severe mental trauma in 2017 that started this whole vile event off .

Mentally I’ve set 12 weeks as a bench mark . However from experience I’ve learned that with the DVLA anything can and will happen !!

let me know if you hear anything mate .
Good luck

Good morning and thanks for your words .
My case seems to be opposed to others as over the past 12 months the DVLA have written to my psychiatrist twice with the last time being June of this year .

I have remained in contact with my psychiatrist during the whole time as I’ve been receiving treatment etc for PTSD and now recently fibromyalgia as a result of severe trauma .

The psychiatrist called me in June and I had a follow up appointment during which we went through and filled out a questionnaire that she had received from the DVLA.

I answered zero usage of anything at any time with her and she posted them off . The DVLA scanned them on 18th July . Then I was told to have the medical which I had yesterday.

I’ve had 3-4 blood tests over the past 16-18 months as my health has been poor and I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia in May .

It seems to me that my case is being dealt with in almost the opposite manner to others and yours ??

Im happy to abstain as many years as possible if they grant me a medical licence . It’s the not having a licence that could drive myself and others back to drink .

please let me know how your case goes and I will of course inform you of any developments in mine .

If I can assist any one in any way then please ask .

One thing for sure ….it won’t be a decision that’s made quickly .

I’ve no sympathy for any one at the DVLA im sorry I just have been made that way . I have 2 complaints open and my case I was told was made high priority. Even my MP has written to them twice to no avail .

The CEO also has a complaint from me and I’ve contacted the DFT . Somehow I know I’m pissing in the wind and my complaints are amongst hundreds of thousands of others .

Little update, well not really..

Called them this morning, it's been 12 weeks (tomorrow) since I had my urine test, and they still haven't received the results.

I was told by the advisor that "there is no timescale that I'm aware of" even though I've previously been told a number of times the backlog was "upto 12 weeks" for a urine sample.

Oh well, guess I'll just wait. Tick tock tick tock

Little update, well not really..

Called them this morning, it's been 12 weeks (tomorrow) since I had my urine test, and they still haven't received the results.

I was told by the advisor that "there is no timescale that I'm aware of" even though I've previously been told a number of times the backlog was "upto 12 weeks" for a urine sample.

Oh well, guess I'll just wait. Tick tock tick tock
I cannot see how this can be regarded by them as acceptable ? Surely they gave to be accountable to some degree? How do we know that your sample / result hasn’t been lost ? I’m so sorry that you are experiencing this .

Hi do you know what caused them to write to your GP? I had my medical last week and no idea what will happen now. I answered no to most as not drunk for 2.5 years

Hi do you know what caused them to write to your GP? I had my medical last week and no idea what will happen now. I answered no to most as not drunk for 2.5 years
It’s hard to say as I don’t think it’s completely based on the questions and almost seems random for some people on here. Mine was pretty obvious though. By the time I had the medical I was 16 months sober but I had to answer yes to the liver damage/traffic accident questions and I think that’s what would have been a red flag.

It’s hard to say as I don’t think it’s completely based on the questions and almost seems random for some people on here. Mine was pretty obvious though. By the time I had the medical I was 16 months sober but I had to answer yes to the liver damage/traffic accident questions and I think that’s what would have been a red flag.
Do you mean liver damage as in your liver was damaged due to the alcohol comsuption? What traffic accident questions? Sorry for asking. Thanks

Do you mean liver damage as in your liver was damaged due to the alcohol comsuption? What traffic accident questions? Sorry for asking. Thanks
They ask whether you have ever been told you have liver damage. I was told I had fatty liver disease so told them the date of that.
They also ask whether you have been involved in a traffic accident due to alcohol, which happened on the day I was arrested.
I was honest on my forms so they contacted my GP, but I also supplied them with a LFT showing my liver had recovered. Now have my license back.

They ask whether you have ever been told you have liver damage. I was told I had fatty liver disease so told them the date of that.
They also ask whether you have been involved in a traffic accident due to alcohol, which happened on the day I was arrested.
I was honest on my forms so they contacted my GP, but I also supplied them with a LFT showing my liver had recovered. Now have my license back.
I am a HRO, but not convicted yet, si waiting for the hearing a day after tomorrow. 🤞 Am very stressed.

I am a HRO, but not convicted yet, si waiting for the hearing a day after tomorrow. 🤞 Am very stressed.
Don’t think too far ahead, tackle the hearing first then you can think about the next steps. I wish you luck!

Apart from delaying the process, writing to your GP is not necessarily a negative indicator. I knew they’d write to mine as I answered yes to the mental health question. Still got a full licence issued though.

Hi, I have received this email from Tim burton. Does this mean I have passed?:

Dear Miss

We have received the result of your CDT test. However, we are still waiting for the report that accompanies that test.

As soon as we receive the report I have asked that one of my Doctors reviews your application and makes a licensing recommendation.

Yours sincerely,
Tim

No, it does not mean you have passé, just that they have the result of the CDT test. They have to evaluate that against what category they feel you are in, and the answers on the questionnaire.

I Just wanted to write my timescale on here..
Iv been reading a lot of messages since I posted off my d1 form in October as I was hro I applied 90 days before my ban is due to Finnish (12 jan 2022)
all Iv read is dreadful long waits so I was under the impression I wouldn’t here anything back from dvla till the new year but to my surprise they wrote to me today requesting a medical ….

Sent of completed d1 form Friday 15th October recorded next day delivery

Dvla signed for it Saturday 16th October

Thursday 25th letter received requesting medical

medical booked in for Wednesday 1st dec 10.30am

it may go downhill after the medical I maybe sat around waiting but I just wanted to give some hope for people sat wondering the same as I was

I Just wanted to write my timescale on here..
Iv been reading a lot of messages since I posted off my d1 form in October as I was hro I applied 90 days before my ban is due to Finnish (12 jan 2022)
all Iv read is dreadful long waits so I was under the impression I wouldn’t here anything back from dvla till the new year but to my surprise they wrote to me today requesting a medical ….

Sent of completed d1 form Friday 15th October recorded next day delivery

Dvla signed for it Saturday 16th October

Thursday 25th letter received requesting medical

medical booked in for Wednesday 1st dec 10.30am

it may go downhill after the medical I maybe sat around waiting but I just wanted to give some hope for people sat wondering the same as I was
Hey, that’s good 😊 . Hopefully this signals an improvement in timescale !

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off