Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Can anyone answer a question for me? My 1 year licence runs out on the 16th of July next year - I presume that I can start the renewal process 90 days before that end date - if the process takes longer than 90 days to complete, do I have to stop driving at 23:59:59 on the 16th of July, or am I given a grace period because the renewal process is in progress?

I'm starting a job soon that requires me to travel and I'd hate to have a period next year that my licence is expired and the new one not yet started just because the DVLA haven't gotten their shit together!

Can anyone answer a question for me? My 1 year licence runs out on the 16th of July next year - I presume that I can start the renewal process 90 days before that end date - if the process takes longer than 90 days to complete, do I have to stop driving at 23:59:59 on the 16th of July, or am I given a grace period because the renewal process is in progress?

I'm starting a job soon that requires me to travel and I'd hate to have a period next year that my licence is expired and the new one not yet started just because the DVLA haven't gotten their shit together!
Once DVLA have received your complete application (as in no mistakes like a missing signature or wrong money amount sent) and your GP is happy that there are no medical concerns (check, do not just presume) then you would be able to drive for up to 12 months whilst your application is considered. This s under what is known as S88 and can be read here:

11th March, 2021 - sent off D1 form

23rd April - received letter to book medical

12th May - had medical

*Around half a dozen calls ensued over the next few months chasing the DVLA. There weren’t any problems as such, just the COVID/strike delays we’ve all been subject to*

20th July - full 10-year licence issued (licence updated online)

22nd July, 2021 - photocard licence arrived in post

My CDT score was 0.5.

The DVLA did not contact my GP. I abstained for six weeks prior to the medical, and before that was drinking max a bottle of wine a week. I have no mental health history or anything else that would raise a flag.

I can’t thank all of you enough on this forum for getting me through the worst two years of my life. Now, finally, onto the next chapter.

Wishing all of you still waiting the very best of luck, hang in there, it’ll all work out eventually. Take care.

12th May - had medical

*Around half a dozen calls ensued over the next few months chasing the DVLA. There weren’t any problems as such, just the COVID/strike delays we’ve all been subject to*

My CDT score was 0.5.

The DVLA did not contact my GP. I abstained for six weeks prior to the medical, and before that was drinking max a bottle of wine a week. I have no mental health history or anything else that would raise a flag.

I can’t thank all of you enough on this forum for getting me through the worst two years of my life. Now, finally, onto the next chapter.

Wishing all of you still waiting the very best of luck, hang in there, it’ll all work out eventually. Take care.
Great news . When did your ban end ?

12th May - had medical

My CDT score was 0.5.

Well done. I think that depending on how you try to mitigate the factors in court might very well have an impact later. I can only guess. Congratulations. Was your readong high when you got caught? Ty

Well done. I think that depending on how you try to mitigate the factors in court might very well have an impact later. I can only guess. Congratulations. Was your readong high when you got caught? Ty
Thank you very much. I’m not sure how much the DVLA are informed about your individual circumstances and what information was shared about you in court. I’m quite confident they knew very little about my actual case, I did mention to the DVLA that my job was in jeopardy (as it was), because I had given my employer of over 15 years a date of the first week of June 2021 to receive my licence back, and it was very hard to explain to them a year and a half later why that was not the case. The delays were not taken kindly by employer at all. I am ashamed to say that I blew 91. I paid £1200 for a solicitor and still got a (very much deserved) 24 month ban. I don’t believe there is a great deal the solicitor can do to reduce the number of months you are banned, according to the law. Depending on how high your reading is, they have bench marks in terms of a minimum ban. They can obviously make sure your ban is closer to the minimum and not the max. However, my 24 month ban was reduced to 18 months as a result of doing the DD course, which I’m grateful for - despite the delays. I received a fine of around £500 also, but luckily, no community service, which may have been in part due to the fact that I work seven days a week. I know little to nothing about the court process and subsequent DVLA investigation so please take all of this with a pinch of salt. I know that everyone’s case is different. Wishing you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I’m not sure how much the DVLA are informed about your individual circumstances and what information was shared about you in court. I’m quite confident they knew very little about my actual case, I did mention to the DVLA that my job was in jeopardy (as it was), because I had given my employer of over 15 years a date of the first week of June 2021 to receive my licence back, and it was very hard to explain to them a year and a half later why that was not the case. The delays were not taken kindly by employer at all. I am ashamed to say that I blew 91. I paid £1200 for a solicitor and still got a (very much deserved) 24 month ban. I don’t believe there is a great deal the solicitor can do to reduce the number of months you are banned, according to the law. Depending on how high your reading is, they have bench marks in terms of a minimum ban. They can obviously make sure your ban is closer to the minimum and not the max. However, my 24 month ban was reduced to 18 months as a result of doing the DD course, which I’m grateful for - despite the delays. I received a fine of around £500 also, but luckily, no community service, which may have been in part due to the fact that I work seven days a week. I know little to nothing about the court process and subsequent DVLA investigation so please take all of this with a pinch of salt. I know that everyone’s case is different. Wishing you the best of luck.
It’s great news for you. Onwards and upwards. I’m not sure they have anything that resembles a « system « as such and some decisions reported on here, on the face of it, seem random. I suspected my telling DVLA doctor that I had / was on treatment for mild depression would prompt further enquiries that would cause further delay but it is what it is . 😃

I don't really post on here but I've been a background watcher for a while and this forum has helped keep me sane reading other peoples stories and updates while going through the nightmare of being banned for drink driving and everything that comes with it. (which I deserved)..

Early march completed the TTC course (soonest I could get due to covid).
Middle March 2021 - sent off D1 form (when my ban length had reduced/updated due to course I was able to apply)
28th April - medical letter sent out
19th May - medical (had to wait 3 weeks)
5th June- Received letter about them writing previously to my GP
9th June- GP received the letter from DVLA
14th June - GP had responded by email and letter
3rd July - Licence showing issued online
7th July - Licence came in the post
14th July - Received letter from DVLA saying I could drive again with my CDT score 0.5 (had abstained for 3 months fully but even then I don't drink a lot and haven't since a change of lifestyle due to my drink driving incident)

Like the post above, not really any problems either, just got stuck with the COVID/strike delays.

Letter with my CDT score stated I just had to apply for a new licence at renewal time and didn't have to do a medical renewal.

I don't really post on here but I've been a background watcher for a while and this forum has helped keep me sane reading other peoples stories and updates while going through the nightmare of being banned for drink driving and everything that comes with it. (which I deserved)..

Early march completed the TTC course (soonest I could get due to covid).
Middle March 2021 - sent off D1 form (when my ban length had reduced/updated due to course I was able to apply)
28th April - medical letter sent out
19th May - medical (had to wait 3 weeks)
5th June- Received letter about them writing previously to my GP
9th June- GP received the letter from DVLA
14th June - GP had responded by email and letter
3rd July - Licence showing issued online
7th July - Licence came in the post
14th July - Received letter from DVLA saying I could drive again with my CDT score 0.5 (had abstained for 3 months fully but even then I don't drink a lot and haven't since a change of lifestyle due to my drink driving incident)

Like the post above, not really any problems either, just got stuck with the COVID/strike delays.

Letter with my CDT score stated I just had to apply for a new licence at renewal time and didn't have to do a medical renewal.
Well I must say firstly congratulations. Your whole experience going through the process was evidently met with reasonable timescales..it gives people like myself hope. I had my medical on 19.7 and therefore could potentially have my licence by September time. Fingers 🤞

Still waiting on results from my medical 13 wks on !!!! Can anyone please tell me how I can get any info on my
case ? Rang DVLA numerous times to no avail :( Feeling a bit deflated now tbh. My ban ended 9th March, It really does make you feel why did you bother !!

Still waiting on results from my medical 13 wks on !!!! Can anyone please tell me how I can get any info on my
case ? Rang DVLA numerous times to no avail :( Feeling a bit deflated now tbh. My ban ended 9th March, It really does make you feel why did you bother !!
My medical was 26/4 . They then contacted my GP. I in a work queue apparently. Have they written to your GP?

My medical was 26/4 . They then contacted my GP. I in a work queue apparently. Have they written to your GP?
Not that I know of. I'm sure they will, but I haven't been informed. When did you get the letter telling you they was writing to your gp Polly

It's the waiting game I suppose. I know I did wrong, believe me I'm still ashamed, don't think that will ever leave me. Feel bad for even questioning why I'm still waiting, but if I don't get anywhere soon I'm in the mindset of thinking forget it , you deserved this anyway... My dads old saying.. if I knew now what I knew then...

Not that I know of. I'm sure they will, but I haven't from their Dr been informed. When did you get the letter telling you they
Not that I know of. I'm sure they will, but I haven't been informed. When did you get the letter telling you they was writing to your gp Polly
I got a letter 6 weeks after my medical to tell me that. Have you actually spoke to DVLA and confirmed they’ve received the report and bloods further to your medical ? The reason I ask this as I rang them 4 weeks after medical and they said they’d not had report ( which had been sent ). If I hadn’t chased this up I’d still be none the wiser as they don’t seem to progress chase anything.

It's the waiting game I suppose. I know I did wrong, believe me I'm still ashamed, don't think that will ever leave me. Feel bad for even questioning why I'm still waiting, but if I don't get anywhere soon I'm in the mindset of thinking forget it , you deserved this anyway... My dads old saying.. if I knew now what I knew then...
Yes, we’ve done wrong but that doesn’t mean we aren’t entitled to be dealt with efficiently.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off