Hro medical (your experiences)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Ok so no to all questions, only thing I do have to say yes to is dependency ever, but was nearly 20 years ago, I’m just worried they will ask me to prove a year of abstinence as on my go report in 2018 a relationship ended and I did go to the dr said I’d been drinking for few days, will that alone make them not issue me a licence, and what’s the odds of them contacting gp anyway ? I’ve heard of people that havnt, I will pass cdt easily as no drink in over 18mths , thank you
All questions ask you to report with reference to a 6 year ( alcohol or drugs), or 3 year ( mental health issues) time period . Anything over those times , eg 20 years I’d not relevant.

All questions ask you to report with reference to a 6 year ( alcohol or drugs), or 3 year ( mental health issues) time period . Anything over those times , eg 20 years I’d not relevant.
There’s is one question that’s asks if you have “ever” been alcohol dependant .

There’s is one question that’s asks if you have “ever” been alcohol dependant .
Ktatt74

Hopefully I can 'ease' your afflictions. I discovered from my GP in December last year that in 2014, they had recorded me as 'dependent' on alcohol. I initially lost my licence in April 2017, got a full licence back early 2019 and lost it again in July 2019. I was HRO based on my breath readings and the twice in 10 years rule.

I applied again in July 2021 and passed the CDT with flying colours (0.30%,) as I haven't drank for 2.5 years and go to AA.

Anyway, the DVLA wrote to my GP and it took him nearly 10 weeks to reply to DVLA who then took 10 days to scan into their system and only a day to issue me with a 1 year licence.

So even if at some time in the past you have been assessed as 'dependent' or 'misusing,' there is still a good chance you will get your licence back.

What I did and I would recommend you do, is ask your GP to give you a Liver Function Test even if you have already applied for your licence back. It only takes a few days to get the results and you GP will reference this when replying to the DVLA.

Good luck and don't worry too much. The more you read conflicting answers on the forum, the more it can begin to get to you.

I have been driving for a couple of weeks now and to be honest it is like riding a bike. After hardly driving at all for 5 years, I was concerned about my ability and how rusty I would be. But I used to travel about 30,000 miles a year and muscle memory took over.

The fact I had been riding an electric bike for the last 27 months has also kept my road sense sharpness up to scratch. In fact it's probably better now than it has ever been.

Ktatt74

Hopefully I can 'ease' your afflictions. I discovered from my GP in December last year that in 2014, they had recorded me as 'dependent' on alcohol. I initially lost my licence in April 2017, got a full licence back early 2019 and lost it again in July 2019. I was HRO based on my breath readings and the twice in 10 years rule.

I applied again in July 2021 and passed the CDT with flying colours (0.30%,) as I haven't drank for 2.5 years and go to AA.

Anyway, the DVLA wrote to my GP and it took him nearly 10 weeks to reply to DVLA who then took 10 days to scan into their system and only a day to issue me with a 1 year licence.

So even if at some time in the past you have been assessed as 'dependent' or 'misusing,' there is still a good chance you will get your licence back.

What I did and I would recommend you do, is ask your GP to give you a Liver Function Test even if you have already applied for your licence back. It only takes a few days to get the results and you GP will reference this when replying to the DVLA.

Good luck and don't worry too much. The more you read conflicting answers on the forum, the more it can begin to get to you.

I have been driving for a couple of weeks now and to be honest it is like riding a bike. After hardly driving at all for 5 years, I was concerned about my ability and how rusty I would be. But I used to travel about 30,000 miles a year and muscle memory took over.

The fact I had been riding an electric bike for the last 27 months has also kept my road sense sharpness up to scratch. In fact it's probably better now than it has ever been.
Thank you, yea I have a blood test for next Monday for hormones but they are doing a lft also so I will have that on my file , it’s just reading all the comments really has me worried, it makes me never ever to want to visit my gp in the future regarding any problems as it would go against me, if I have to do another year to prove abstinence I don’t know what il do , ive already done my punishment for driving , paid and done the drink course to get 25% off and it could all be a waste of money and effort, because they dr only has to say one slight thing that they don’t agree with and they have the power to totally upend my life for another year , I’m so on edge, I’m going to have a good talk to my doctor when I get bloods back and tell her I’m due licence back etc and make sure it’s noted on my file , it doesn’t help that my surgery has just merged with another and drs have left so I’m not even close to my gp so she has never even met me,

Ktatt74

Congratulations on driving again btw you don’t actually realise how much you rely on holding a licence, I don’t know how people cope who don’t drive, but then again if they’ve never drove then you can’t miss what you’ve never had .

Congratulations on driving again btw you don’t actually realise how much you rely on holding a licence, I don’t know how people cope who don’t drive, but then again if they’ve never drove then you can’t miss what you’ve never had .
I had been driving since 1982 when I lost my licence for the first time in 2017. That was 45 years, plus my wife does not drive. It is incredibly frustrating, but luckily the first time my son was still living with us so he was able to take up a bit of the slack. By the second time he had moved out so we had to depend on buses and taxi's and my eBike. After fitting some pannier bags to the bike it actually became a fairly economic way of doing the weekly shop (except it was twice a week.)

You do adapt, thankfully.

Hi guys,, finally got my medical booked for 31st march,, without thinking they didn't give me an appointment time,, I'm assuming you just turn up at some point that day, is that the case for most,, I might just give them yet another call to check,, it's a leave a message and we'll get back to you approach,, hate keep calling feel like I'm pestering them..

Hi guys,, finally got my medical booked for 31st march,, without thinking they didn't give me an appointment time,, I'm assuming you just turn up at some point that day, is that the case for most,, I might just give them yet another call to check,, it's a leave a message and we'll get back to you approach,, hate keep calling feel like I'm pestering them..
No, you normally don't 'just turn up.'

I would give them a call to confirm the time.

You also need to let the DVLA know that you have booked it.

No, you normally don't 'just turn up.'

I would give them a call to confirm the time.

You also need to let the DVLA know that you have booked it.
Thanks yes I have done,, it's just odd they didn't give me a time,, will call Mon thanks

A tad random but I was seen way early for mine as apparently three people had not turned up. Can't imagine waiting months for an appointment and not showing up. Can only assume they a) couldn't afford the fee or b)had been on the lash. Anyway said was a bit random

A tad random but I was seen way early for mine as apparently three people had not turned up. Can't imagine waiting months for an appointment and not showing up. Can only assume they a) couldn't afford the fee or b)had been on the lash. Anyway said was a bit random
Haha yes exactly, that sounds about right 😁

Hi all
I was banned in September last year year for 16 months, reduced to just over 12 months after completing the course, I suspect my medical will be around July August time.
The last time I had a drink was early January so the cdt test I don't think will be an issue as I have never been a heavy drinker and I will not be touching another drop till at least after my medical, I'm curious however as to how often a urine sample is required ?
Is it due to previous medical history ? Or is it just a formality now ?
Many thanks

Hi all
I was banned in September last year year for 16 months, reduced to just over 12 months after completing the course, I suspect my medical will be around July August time.
The last time I had a drink was early January so the cdt test I don't think will be an issue as I have never been a heavy drinker and I will not be touching another drop till at least after my medical, I'm curious however as to how often a urine sample is required ?
Is it due to previous medical history ? Or is it just a formality now ?
Many thanks
For 'normal' HRO's with no declared and GP recorded history of legal drug misuse or illegal drug use, you will not be asked for a urine sample, just a blood sample for the CDT test.

I might be reading things into this question but do you indulge in the 'waccy baccy' occasionally? If you do I would stop it at least 6 weeks before your medical to be on the safe side.

For 'normal' HRO's with no declared and GP recorded history of legal drug misuse or illegal drug use, you will not be asked for a urine sample, just a blood sample for the CDT test.

I might be reading things into this question but do you indulge in the 'waccy baccy' occasionally? If you do I would stop it at least 6 weeks before your medical to be on the safe side.
Fortunately not, never been into drugs whatsoever however I understand why you would think that, its more because I train and would be on a cleanse around this time for a certain competition and was worried of producing dilated samples etc however after further research I have found they are only looking for illegal drugs.
Thank you very much for your help its really appreciated

Hello all. My HRO ban ended 09/21.
medical done and received 11/21 (confirmed by phone call). I have heard nothing since and I even cannot get through now to the advised number 0300 790 6802 ext 252. Any advice please?

Hi, just an update on my situation, I managed to get through on the phone today! It was nice to speak to someone atleast. They said my D1 form is now with the medical team (sent 6 weeks ago), so they put me through to them who said the GP letter was sent out yesterday. I admit I have been having a few pints at weekends but nothing OTT. I will be staying away from it at all costs now

Hi I thought I would do a timeline so far of my experience in reapplying. I'm a HRO disqualified in Jan 2020.

Reapplied for licence: 27th sept 2021
Cheque cashed: 12th Oct 2021
DD1 questionnaire completed and posted back: 29th October 2021
DVLA wrote to GP: 30th Nov 2021
Ban ended: 1st Dec 2021
GP returned forms to DVLA: 21st Jan 2022
7th Feb: scanned on to system
5th march: letter to book medical
14th March: medical.

Let's hope this is all over by the end of April. Sober now for 1 year, in AA, been well and truly punished with the ban, then ending up in the papers after court, and having to do extra time on top of my ban.

Hi I thought I would do a timeline so far of my experience in reapplying. I'm a HRO disqualified in Jan 2020.

Reapplied for licence: 27th sept 2021
Cheque cashed: 12th Oct 2021
DD1 questionnaire completed and posted back: 29th October 2021
DVLA wrote to GP: 30th Nov 2021
Ban ended: 1st Dec 2021
GP returned forms to DVLA: 21st Jan 2022
7th Feb: scanned on to system
5th march: letter to book medical
14th March: medical.

Let's hope this is all over by the end of April. Sober now for 1 year, in AA, been well and truly punished with the ban, then ending up in the papers after court, and having to do extra time on top of my ban.
Unusual in that they wrote to your GP before the Medical as they normally wait to see if you 'pass or fail' the medical before doing this.

After a year sober you won't have any issues with the medical. Just be honest in the form and say you don't drink and haven't since (insert date.) Yes, you will need to complete the D1 questionnaire again.

Unusual in that they wrote to your GP before the Medical as they normally wait to see if you 'pass or fail' the medical before doing this.

After a year sober you won't have any issues with the medical. Just be honest in the form and say you don't drink and haven't since (insert date.) Yes, you will need to complete the D1 questionnaire again.
It's because I declared on my initial D1 application that I have a history of dependance/misuse so they sent me the questionnaire and I sent it back then they wrote to GP. I'm assuming my GP report was ok since I've been invited for a medical. Fingers crossed

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off