HRO Medical - Abstinence??

Convicted Driver Insurance
Well I got my medical letter from the dvla a week last Saturday 9/12 and rang the Dr. Which by the way is in a really difficult to get to location in another town ? and they could only give me an appt for the end of jan! This is actually 8 days after the 6 week window but dvla were ok with that.

Hoping it doesn't get sent off to my Dr. Otherwise I'll be waiting to find out after my ban ends at the end of Feb ?

Hi, hoping for some info.
I had my HRO medical examination almost two weeks ago, today I received a letter from the dvla stating they’ve got my results (but didn’t list them in the letter) And are contacting my GP for further medial information and this may take 4 weeks and once they get a reply they will make a decision. Is this common? And does this mean I’ve not failed the medical as they’d surly just say that rather than contact my GP?
My ban was up a few weeks ago but can’t drive untill this medical is cleared.
I’ve hardly ever been to my GP for anything especially nothing alcohol related, I drink most weekends but never during the week so I can’t see how they’d deem me unfit to drive, fingers crossed I get the all clear to drive ASAP. Thanks for any replies in Advance and I’ll update on here with how it goes.

I wasn’t involved in a crash and never have been so must be the levels. I hadn’t drank for 10 days prior to the test and like I said I only drink alcohol on Saturday nights most weeks. Think I’ll contact my GP and try to speed up the process

Last edited:
Do you think this means I haven’t failed and that they just need to clarify with my GP that I’ve never had any alcohol related issues or dependency’s?

Yes, they wanted to make sure you haven't abused or alcohol dependent for the past 3 years. they will ask GP for past 3 years history related to alcohol or drugs

Best to pop in to GP's at least assure them your drinking within government guidelines occasionally slightly more if there's a big event that's what everyone seems to do

Thanks for the replies. Yes I’ll pop in today as I know this kind of thing will just get put to the bottom of the pile and I’ll be waiting weeks and weeks for a response. My GP will have absolutely no records regarding alcohol of me what so ever so do you think once the dvla get clarification of this they’ll issue my license back? Just worried About the whole situation now surly my medical result aren’t that bad I’m 27, healthy and exercise regular, work hard running my own business all week But do drink most weekends like most people. DVLA got me on edge

It's time to update your GP regarding your responsible drinking habits.
Am fairly sure your CTD must be in close range or why else bother!
From your post and your drinking habits do not state u have 50 units on a Friday night and nowt else! because your not working or driving until Monday! When giving status HRO you are in there microscope and must now become born 14 units a week

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off