HRO - Life sentence?

Convicted Driver Insurance

rufus

Established Member
Hi, I am wondering if you are classed as a HRO by the DVLA are you a HRO for the rest of your days or is there an expiry of this status?

I hope I am wrong but it appears by the many comments on various posts on this site that once your on the DVLAs system as a HRO you stay on it for life and if you declare you have had alcohol problems you are labeled as a raging alcoholic unable to ever control your drinking regardless of any period of time you have remained abstinent.

I have also been looking at the medical questionnaire DR1 for alcohol or drug related questions - quite shocked that they are asking about things that happened in the last 6 years

here a link for those interested https://assets.publishing.service.g...1-online-confidential-medical-information.pdf

You are only a HRO until you pass your medical. Some people have concerns raised because of the medical and are given a short term licence of a year or two, when it is then reviewed, and this process can last for 6 years, but this is not the HRO process, it is a medical investigation in the same way as if the person had been reported to DVLA by, say, their doctor. There is an investigation and then maybe a series of medicals whilst their lifestyle with alcohol is investigated and monitored.

There is guidance for GP’s on this, rather than go into a lot of information myself, best if you read it here:

DVLA do not act on anonymous “tip offs” but may act on information from concerned family members where detailed information is supplied.

Thanks Price. Much appreciate your quick response.

things that happened 6 years ago are not relevant now - if you had a problem 6 years ago it doesnt mean you have one now.

it seems we drink drivers will we forever be judged on our past rather than the current situation

If the problem was 6 years ago, then it would not affect the application, but if it was 6,5,4,and 3 years ago then it may affect the application. It is just part of building up a picture of the risk a person poses by being given a licence back.

3 years ago, again is not relevant, that was then, this is now - the DVLA only require you to be 12 month alcohol free if you were dependant or 6 month controlled drinking if you regularly misused alcohol - what does it matter if you had a problem years ago, its what you are like after your ban that should matter, not years before you were ever prosecuted.

Its hardly going to encourage people seek help and turn the tide of drink drivers when you know that if you have sort help, that will be used against you.

A bit less stick and more carrot is needed - a little like the the speed awareness or drink drive course
Why not have a reduction in disqualification for those that attend alcohol addiction services instead of punishing them for trying to solve their problems.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off